June 2018 Moms
Options

Next Question, Please (3/4)

13»

Re: Next Question, Please (3/4)

• Options
    Re: breast pumps

You won't need it at home anyway.  With nursing, especially in the first 6 weeks, it is important to put baby at the breast as much as possible.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sabby2 said:
    Re: breast pumps

You won't need it at home anyway.  With nursing, especially in the first 6 weeks, it is important to put baby at the breast as much as possible.
    While yes, this is important.  This caused tons of issues with DD because she flat out refused a bottle when I was trying to transition to go back to work.  I will definitely be pumping as soon as possible and introducing a bottle as well.  And definitely agree with @LaceyBee522 - i'm hoping to allow DH more of an opportunity to bond this time.  With DD he definitely felt left out. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My insurance policy won’t actually ship the breast pump until there is a baby in the nursery so if you can get it sooner? Do it. Though, I would wait until maybe May. It’s more for training, making sure your phalanges fit, it works, etc. Especially if you’ve never used one.

We did rent a hospital grade pump initially while I waited for my PISA. DD had all sorts of latch issues and we were having to syringe and tube feed. So the pump was absolutely necessary in those first few weeks. 

Re: 529. I don’t have one set up for DD. Just a savings account. I’m having kind of a weird discussion with H about whether I want to divert the money we are putting toward retirement to an education fund neither kid may use. (And if we should pay for college, etc.) I have a meeting with my financial advisors today to try and figure out what the hell we should do.
  • Options

Ditto to most comments on the pump.  Most insurance policies won't cover it until 30 days out from your due date and require a rx from your OB. 

I had my own pump but ended up renting the hospital grade pump for the first week anyway to get my supply going as the hospital grade pumps are a bit stronger.  It was incredibly reasonable, if I remember correctly maybe $37 per week?  With that being said- even if your babe gets here early and you don't have your own pump yet that is definitely an option.

• Options
    @jsl82 Yep! I’ve registered for a Brezza. I’m assuming I will need to supplement. Even if I was only having one, I would have pumped, though, so MH could be a part of the feeding. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    elsie42elsie42 member
    edited March 2018
    @starla487 I think I read something on dave ramsey about not contributing to college savings until you are saving for retirement and have other debt besides the mortgage paid off. I would definitely not divert any money for your retirement to it - kids can get scholarships, take loans, work, etc to pay for school but you can't do those things for your retirement. I think we want to start a 529 (which is why I asked about it) but it'll probably only be a small contribution right now because I don't want to take away from those other savings. 

Also re: pumping - my friend whose baby was born in December had a tongue and lip tie that really hindered breastfeeding for him in the first few weeks. She relied on pumping/formula bottle feeding then to make sure he was still getting enough calories. She worked a lot with an LC and eventually had the ties cut but the bottles were necessary and she still pumps now to let her husband help with feeds. He eventually got the hang of nursing and is doing great with that now too so don't be afraid of ruining the nursing relationship if you want or need to give bottles in the beginning. Of course this varies from mom to mom but just wanted to throw that in. 

Also I'll add that she's been loving her Spectra pump along with the Kiinde bags/bottle system. She gets the kiinde bags free through Tricare and babypavilion.com (FYI for any other military/milspouses). Some other insurances will cover pumping supplies like bags so double check with yours before you stock up yourself. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Options
    @starla487 also check your state programs. Many states have prepaid plans you can start anytime the first year or at some enrollment date annually (usually in August) it locks in the cost of public college in that state. It’s especially useful in southern states where theres not 100 colleges in one city (like Massachusetts or new york). Sure it limits the schools they can go to but if you can’t afford out of state or private college tuition anyway. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Options
    @bearmoons No choking on food here, but brushing my teeth makes me gag/sometimes throw up. I should go to the dentist because it’s been a while, but I’m too scared of what would happen.
  • Options
    I get what ya'll are saying, dd was the queen of latch issues and I had over supply, so I get it but pumping early on can be detrimental to the breastfeeding relationship.

I obviously had to pump some in the first few weeks because there was no way dd could latch with that kind of engorgement but full on pumping to 'build a stash' etc isn't necessary at first. You can create an over supply by doing that and go down a whole other rabbit hole of bf issues that way. You literally only need what lo will take while you're away in those first weeks. A manual pump worked better for these issues at first.

I plan to order my pump ahead of time like you all but what I'm saying is outside of bf issues/weight gain issues any LC will encourage you not to pump full sessions during the early weeks.  
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Has anyone’s doctor mentioned how far ahead they will schedule their c-sections if you are having a planned one? I asked 4 weeks ago but they didn’t have their surgery schedules up yet. I’m such a planner but they said 39 weeks for me which would be 12 weeks from yesterday which seems so close! 
  • Options
    @katie121209 I am 25 weeks and scheduled mine yesterday. 
  • Options
    @pupsicle23 thanks hopefully they will schedule mine at my appt Tuesday!! I’m nervous that the two doctors I like best won’t be operating on the day I want. There are 7 in the practice. 
  • Options
    Not baby related: we've talked makeup and skincare recommendations here, but does anyone use a hair mask that they love? My hair is super dry/damaged from heat styling, plus still recovering from post partum hair loss/regrowth. I'm looking for a mask or deep conditioner to make it feel healthier and give it some shine. I use Redken Allsoft shampoo and conditioner, which I like, but am open to suggestions on those too if you've got something you LOVE:)
  • Options
    @katelynrae86 do you have thin hair? Curly hair? Lots of hair? I find it makes a huge difference in mask preferences. 

My hair is straight, very thick and long, and is pretty damaged since I have nearly black hair naturally and dyed most of it almost platinum last summer to have pastel hair (pink, then purple  :)). My fav mask is Loreal Professionnel Uber Liss, but I used to get it for free, and am too lazy to seek out a hair salon that sells it. I also love the PRE-shampoo masque from bumble and bumble. Verb makes a reasonably affordable one that comes in a tube instead of a tub which I LOVE because I hate fumbling with tubs in showers. I’ve heard good things about Briogeo but I haven’t tried it myself. 
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 Thanks for the feedback. My hair is average to thin for the amount, but very fine. Also wavy and prone to frizz...no air dry or even blowout and go. I always need to use a flat iron or curling iron to smooth it. And I agree tubes>tubs for most products
  • Options
    doxiemoxie212doxiemoxie212 member
    edited March 2018
    @katelynrae86 the products I like are likely too heavy for your hair type. I would seek out a line that’s for fine hair, and try the mask from that line. I think Bumble & Bumble probably have a line for fine hair...

ETA: curly hair products are probs also good for your hair type. Deva curl? What’s the other one... ugh I can see the bottle but I can’t remem the name! Stupid pregnancy brain... not oribe... ughhh
  • Options
    @katelynrae86 did you just look at my head and describe my hair??? Lol I kid... but really, I haven’t tried much in the way of hair masks so not sure how helpful you’ll find this but I’ve been using coconut oil about once a week this pregnancy, focusing on the scalp and the ends. I just let it sit for 45 min- 1 hr before I’m ready to get in the shower and it’s helped me a lot. 

Also, a couple products that enable me to have lazy (just lightly blow dry the top and front section so they don’t lay funny) hair days, are Catwalk by Tigi sea salt spray, and Living Proof PhD in shower styler. They let my natural wave show a bit without getting so frizzy. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @katelynrae86 OUIDAD that is the brand I was thinking of. Omg that was bothering me so much. 
  • Options
    @katelynrae86 I really like the Macadamia deep repair mask
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I do like Bb, and they probably do have something. I'll have to check it out. I've tried Devacurl and thought it was kind of meh...wanted to be wowed but wasn't. I've heard good feedback on the macadamia one but wonder if it would be too heavy for me. Maybe I'll try it :)

@2589 Hair twins...lol
  • Options
    Someone talk to me about Braxton Hicks!

When can/do they start for FTM? {I'm 27 weeks - u/s reading more at 28 weeks if that 's relevant}
    Where do they feel?

I've had a couple that I'm wondering if they are B.H or just things in my body moving and it's at an odd angle {?} Sunday was the 'worst' and even then it was only for maybe 2mins. We were leaving the house, and it felt so painful in my pelvic area. Like something grabbing ....
    I do have digestive issues, so I originally thought it was my bowels being a jerk - but it never progressed the way my digestive issues usually do.

Please don't tell me it's like PMS pain because I never really experienced cramps, so that doesn't work for me lol

Side note - u/s last Thursday didn't show any potential issues of preterm labour, so that's why I'm thinking B.H
  • Options
    jsl82jsl82 member
    Please don't tell me it's like PMS pain because I never really experienced cramps, so that doesn't work for me lol
    Not gonna lie, kinda hating you a little right now. haha.  

BH started around 23 weeks for me with DD (a little later this time- and not nearly as often).  Every pregnancy is different, but in general, if you drink some water and lay on your side for a little while they should stop.  Completely normal to have them now, so no need to worry.  "Tight" would be the best way to describe them not using the PMS comparison.  @doxiemoxie212's article is pretty spot on from my experience.  I can also share this video- shared before- but I find it some how calming to watch.  Shows the difference of BH and active labor on your uterus.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URyEZusnjBI

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    jsl82 said:
    Not gonna lie, kinda hating you a little right now. haha.  

BH started around 23 weeks for me with DD (a little later this time- and not nearly as often).  Every pregnancy is different, but in general, if you drink some water and lay on your side for a little while they should stop.  Completely normal to have them now, so no need to worry.  "Tight" would be the best way to describe them not using the PMS comparison.  @doxiemoxie212's article is pretty spot on from my experience.  I can also share this video- shared before- but I find it some how calming to watch.  Shows the difference of BH and active labor on your uterus.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URyEZusnjBI
    Don't worry, many do hate me ;) I can honestly count on 1 hand how many times I've gotten actual cramps since I first got it at 14 lol but I do have digestive issues, so may not be worth jealousy lol

Yeh 'tight' would be the best way. I was standing when it happened, and it wasn't so bad that I had to sit. Just stop moving. They went away after a like MAYBE 2mins {that's on long side too - likely closer to only a minute}
  • Options
    I can't find post showing what the list of up coming posts, so if it's somewhere can someone link me?

Are we gonna be doing a freezer meal suggestion post?
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger it is included in the original post of every product spotlight