August 2018 Moms

STM Check in / Chat 2/26

2»

Re: STM Check in / Chat 2/26

• @lalala2004 when I was pregnant with DD1 my MIL bought me some preemie size onesies because DH was born full term but was under 6lbs, and she needed to send her mom to the store to get him preemie clothes to go home in.  My kids never came close to needing those.  But my sister just had twins so I gave them to her at least.

This one is a boy and I was warned that based on my history and the proximity of this pregnancy to my last one I would probably go early again this time, so maybe he'll be small.  I'll take that, the last one basically fell out which was far preferable to the 2.5 hour push-fest I had with #1 due to her being sunny side up.
  • @lalala2004 I'm afraid this is going to be my mom, too! I am calling them tonight to let them know it's a boy. If she asks what we need I'm going to tell her to continue to buy stuff for DS #1 - anything he outgrows DS #2 will get anyway, right?! :smile:  I have enough clothes to last for awhile with this one, it's the buying DS new stuff that gets expensive since he is constantly growing!
    Me: 34 DH: 37
    DS: 5.28.15
    DS#2: EDD 8.31.18

• Loading the player...
  • @lalala2004 My mom did the same - she can't help herself and she knows we don't need it.  She also bought newborn size and I asked her given our experience the first time around with a big baby, did she really think I would need newborn clothes haha.  I'm just going to let her go LOL
  • I love my mom, but.... She just bought 3 newborn onesies. I don’t need any, I have enough clothes for this kid left over from his brother! In her defense, she asked what I needed and I told her I couldn’t think of anything at the time. So next time I guess I’ll try harder....
    Return/exchange possible??

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • melpropmelprop member
    edited February 2018
    We told my mom that we’re finding out and  not telling her, specifically so she won’t go crazy buying clothes. I only dressed DS in onesies, sleepers, and one-piece rompers for most of the first six months. I can’t imagine I’ll do anything different with this one, especially since I’ll go back to work around 6-8wks. 
  • lalala2004lalala2004 member
    edited February 2018
    lolog531 said:
    @lalala2004 I'm afraid this is going to be my mom, too! I am calling them tonight to let them know it's a boy. If she asks what we need I'm going to tell her to continue to buy stuff for DS #1 - anything he outgrows DS #2 will get anyway, right?! :smile:  I have enough clothes to last for awhile with this one, it's the buying DS new stuff that gets expensive since he is constantly growing!
    Yeah, after she told me I was like “If you want to buy clothes, get 2T!”

@ecwk she bought it at a consignment store, so no returns. But she told me just to pick one out and she’ll give the rest to someone else.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'll never understand the need to give newborn clothes at a shower or as a gift, they are in that size (if at all) for like 5 minutes! I remember we had like 4 footie jammies, a handful of onesies and 2 outfits for DS in newborn size. I would rotate through whatever was clean and then we moved to 0-3 at about 3 weeks I think?

And one-piece rompers are my fave except when they blow out the diaper. Because I never managed to get E out of his romper without getting poo everywhere.
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @scottishlass1213 DS is about a month away from turning 4 (sorry I didn’t respond, yesterday and today got busy). I’m glad he’s not the only kid to say that. I’ve just spread the word to family and friends not to make comments about his size or getting big. He must be sensitive to it, on top of knowing a new baby is coming. 
  • @ecwk this is my fave recipe to have DS help with. I’ve subbed applesauce for the banana, but you could really change it up however you want. We also add mini chocolate chips. https://twitchetts.com/2015/04/healthy-organic-toddler-snack-cookies.html/

Another fun thing to make with your kid is homemade playdough. They can help measure and add the food coloring. My son loves to make play dough. 
  • @ecwk DD helps me in the kitchen a lot. Not with any specific recipe, but I'll let her sprinkle salt and pepper on stuff. I'll measure and she pours. She stirs food in pots and pans. I've let her crack eggs. Etc. She's 2.5.
  • ^^Same. DS has even helped me cut veggies but he uses a butter knife. 

I’ve done homemade play dough too with him. 
  • Oh yeah, I forgot about the butter knife. My mil also got me this safe cutting tool for ds but he still gets his fingers in the way. If he wants to help me chop veggies, I have him put his hand on top of mine while I work the knife, this one or a regular one.
  • @ladygali
    I have never seen such a thing! Very interesting, will look in to it! 
    Also the play dough is a fantastic idea! I will for sure do that! Thank you :smiley:

re: newborn clothes, we literally only had one newborn outfit because I figured for some reason that DS wouldn't need any. Well, even though he was 8lb12 he was so tiny for the first couple of weeks, I wish I had had more! Although definitely I wouldn't want more than a handful! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS loves helping out in the kitchen lately! ANy time DH or I are in there he grabs his step stool and says he wants to help! He helps wash fruit and veggies, he helped mix eggs and pancakes last weekend, throws away things as I need him to. His play kitchen is also one of his favorite things to play with! 

• ecwkecwk member
    lolog531 said:
    DS loves helping out in the kitchen lately! ANy time DH or I are in there he grabs his step stool and says he wants to help! He helps wash fruit and veggies, he helped mix eggs and pancakes last weekend, throws away things as I need him to. His play kitchen is also one of his favorite things to play with! 
    How old is he again?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Me and my boy were making cookies today. Love the counter helper we got on Etsy
  • ecwk said:
    lolog531 said:
    DS loves helping out in the kitchen lately! ANy time DH or I are in there he grabs his step stool and says he wants to help! He helps wash fruit and veggies, he helped mix eggs and pancakes last weekend, throws away things as I need him to. His play kitchen is also one of his favorite things to play with! 
    How old is he again?
    He will be 3 in May!

• @Taylovesbrad Love the kitchen helper! I was looking at those awhile back, but never gotten one. Now that he is showing more interest in helping I think we need to make the investment! I have found a few on Amazon, but I'll check Etsy because they seemed a little pricier than I thought they'd be!.

• @lolog531 yes ours was def cheaper than the others. It was $120. There’s a bunch of options! I’ll try to find the shop name for you. It’s nice too cause you can stain it yourself whatever shade you want
  • @taylovesbrad love the yellow mixer!!!!

my kids help in the kitchen a lot too! Cracking eggs, they do a lot of holding my arm while I’m chopping. Taking turns measuring and adding ingredients.

my 2.5 likes to help a little too much and always tries to get too close to the heat which is stressful!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• I love the idea of a kitchen helper/learning tower but we don’t have enough space for it. I’d like to get a folding step stool that's large and sturdy enough though. I'm awake MOTN thanks to pregnancy and work stress-related insomnia, so I guess it's time to online shop!!
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • @pghctwife lol my 2.5 year old is also like that haha usually I just have him help with not so exact recipes- making cookies that would turn out well was challenging. Seeing how much he enjoys it makes it worth it.
  • @ecwk aw no prob! I’m always looking for a deal. I feel like they overprice this type of stuff! We love playing playdough too! It’s actually really good for fine motor skills apparently.
  • Lol well I mean I make sure we still measure, I guide their hands! If I’m making cookies they better be yummy!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w