1st Trimester
Options

Hcg rising but not doubling

I had my hcg levels tested as my dr thinks I’m miscarrying (no heartbeat seen at 6 weeks 5 days). At 7 weeks, my levels were 108,419 and at 7w2d my levels only rose to 118,458 (def not close to doubling). I am driving myself crazy googling this and getting different results. Has anyone had a similar experience they can share? I get another ultrasound tomorrow but the wait is killing me!

Re: Hcg rising but not doubling

• Options
    Doubling stops after a certain point, and at 6-7 weeks it can be as much as every 3.5 days to double. 

https://perinatology.com/calculators/betahCG.htm

That said, unfortunately at this point it’s very much a waiting game and it sucks. I hope you get good news at your next ultrasound. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hcg rises slower once it reaches a certain point. Are you do for another ultrasound soon?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know- the waiting is horrible! Ultrasound is tomorrow at least so I will have real answers then
  • Options
    ljt220 said:
    I had my hcg levels tested as my dr thinks I’m miscarrying (no heartbeat seen at 6 weeks 5 days). At 7 weeks, my levels were 108,419 and at 7w2d my levels only rose to 118,458 (def not close to doubling). I am driving myself crazy googling this and getting different results. Has anyone had a similar experience they can share? I get another ultrasound tomorrow but the wait is killing me!
    GL at your ultrasound!

As PP said - the doubling time slows down the higher your HCG level is. I believe once it's over 5,000 or 6,000, your doubling time can be almost a week in a normal, healthy pregnancy (mine was 4.5 days I think once I was over 6,000?).
    That's why, once you're over 5,000 or so for your HCG levels (usually around 5 weeks of gestation), your physician should be going by your ultrasound to determine the health of the pregnancy, not your HCG levels.

I had my HCG levels checked three times, and none of those three times did it double in 48 hours. I was ~6 weeks along, baby had a heartbeat, but I had some bleeding. So instead of saying that things looked okay via the ultrasound, and telling me the HCG levels aren't what they should be going by (but were still doubling appropriately for their levels) - my previous OB office told me my HCG levels weren't doubling, and they advised me not to get my hopes up too much, regardless of the u/s.

Thankfully I have some awesome friends who talked me off that ledge and told me how that should have been handled, and things have turned out good so far. So, please take anything your OB office may say regarding your HCG levels with a lot of grains of salt. That shouldn't be what they go by at this point.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023