October 2018 Moms
Options

Progesterone pill question

libellulidaeslibellulidaes member
edited February 2018 in October 2018 Moms
hi everyone! So my OB prescribed me some progesterone because my leveled were a bit low. I’m supposed to take them vaginally but I’m pretty sure I got the version you take orally... has anyone had experience with this before? Here’s a photo -

the reason I think this one is for oral ingestion is because of its shape and color - the coating stains my liners pink. It’s also a harder pill rather than gel...

Even the pharmacist seemed confused.

any feedback is appreciated 

Re: Progesterone pill question

• Options
    Hmmmm... my progesterone suppositories look nothing like that. 

Its hard to say. I would confirm with your doctor. I know I have had medication that I have had to take as a suppository that are normally taken orally. Estrace specifically. It's a faster and more efficient way to absorb the medication sometimes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That looks like my oral one. Any printing on the pill? You should be able to look it up online if so. Not good if the pharmacist doesn't know! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That looks like a vaginal suppository to me! Of course there could be several varieties of progesterone out there, but mine is smaller than an M&m and perfectly round. 
    DS #1: 1/2012
    DS #2: 5/2014
    MMC 2/2018
  • Options
    Also, call your Dr to let them know. 
  • Options
    I have those and mine are vaginal.  They definitely stain pink- I’m on 3x/day and I just wear those leak-proof period panties because liners bug me.  
  • Options
    I have the same ones for vaginally also. 
  • Options
    Try this: https://www.drugs.com/imprints.php 

My suppositories are perfectly round and easy to drop. They do stain a little bit, but it's a peach color. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I have seen people complain about the leaking from those as vaginal and I have seen others comment on how they alternate taking those orally and as a suppository. 
    On a side note about progesterone.. has anyone noticed a difference in their blood pressure when taking them? 
  • Options
    I’m prescribed these same ones. Who thought red was an appropriate color for progesterone suppositories needs to be shot, but don’t be concerned. The brand name is prometrium if you’re curious and want to look it up. 
  • Options
    im on progesterone suppositories and injections twice a week. the nurse said the package may say oral but to take them vaginally bc they absorb faster that way... looks like you got the oral ones that you can also take vaginally but i woukd double check with your doc just in case.

what was your progesterone level? mine was 14.5 
  • Options
    Lots of meds can be taken orally, vaginally, and even rectally in the same tablet/capsule. It sucks that yours are red, though. Maybe ask if the generic version is a different colour? They would be medicinally identical. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine was 10.5 I think (for first trimester I can only remember the low end of 'normal' which was 11) and they put me on oral once a day. Not sure how my numbers changed as they haven't done bloodwork since I started it. 
  • Options
    My oral ones are pale yellow so those are definitely different. So weird the pharmacist couldn’t tell... I’d say call your doctor for confirmation.

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• Options
    Thanks everyone! My progesterone was low - 11.4 which is why my OB is having me take these twice daily. Your responses were helpful- I emailed my doc for confirmation and should hear back on Monday. 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Im taking the same ones. Its vaginally taken and everyday im super scared when I wipe and see the pink/red stain. 
  • Options
    You can take them vaginally. Just make sure you insert it deep enough and right before you go to bed so that you are laying down. The outer coat should dissolve and it'll get abosrbed over night. You'll see less powder on your underwear and leakage if you do it at night. There are white ones as well. I had the white ones that looked like that
     (I'm also a clinical pharmacist).