September 2018 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 2/15

Re: UO Thursday 2/15

• Options
    I'm not a fan of whipped cream. It ruins my milkshakes, hot chocolate, pies, and waffles
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @eerin86 I actually really like the taste of whipped cream but it upsets my stomach so much. 

I don't like overly gender specific rooms. Probably because I'm a girl who doesn't much like pink so I feel like forcing potential gender norms on others (kids) is unfair. Obviously if I have a girl who ends up loving pink I'll update her room to reflect that, but then it would be her choice. 
    Agreed! Our DD’s room is grey with a green rug. The only “girly” thing in there is her heart sheets which are lavender, pink, and turquoise to match the rug/artwork. I am such a tomboy and it drives me nuts that everyone bought DD so many frilly and pink clothes. When she is old enough if she wants a pink room that will be her decision.

Part of this is why I am hesitant to tell anyone what we are having once we find out.

@EErin86 I love whipped cream, but only on it’s own.
  • Options
    @yosemite2018 Oh yay! Glad that's not a super UO. Same thing goes for boy rooms. I'm not going to cover the room in trucks and red and navy plaid. 
  • Options
    @EErin86 I'm not huge on whipped cream either, but it is nice on a waffle with strawberries.

@SkilledSailor agreed on the gender specific rooms. DS's room is jungle themed, but nothing really screams boy about it.

I have no problem with people choosing to be vegan/vegetarian because I understand the health/moral standpoint, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to your kid to subject them to whatever it is you do and not allow them to try things you won't eat. Maybe this is just because I'm not vegan/vegetarian myself and don't have any strong opinions on abstaining from dairy/meat.

• Options
    @nlc8424 So I am mostly vegan and we've agreed to raise our child that way as well until they're school age and can make their own well-informed food decisions. H isn't vegetarian but agrees my diet is healthy and safe. I am the only one that cooks at home so I wouldn't cook something different just so my child has a standard American diet. I'm fully aware that my stance is the unpopular choice here, and that's ok. 
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor so I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to cook something different, but allow them to have things like greek yogurt or to try eggs, or try something non-vegan while out. 
  • Options
    @nlc8424 I get what you’re saying, but I wouldn’t order those things for me for multiple reasons so I wouldn’t have them to share with my child. We’ll see how it goes if the toddler asks for some of H’s food while out. 
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor I'm with you on not liking overly gendered rooms. I just don't like it. 

Oh and I can't stand frilly girl clothes or clothes with writing. It's a baby, it's going to most likely blow out its diaper or spit up. Just stick it in a onesie and some leggings that are easy to wash.
  • Options
    @nlc8424 Yikes! That’s awful! Unfortunately that’s poor parenting, and not the vegan diet. Or maybe for that particular child did need something else. But it’s on the parents for not seeing what they were doing was harming the child. I’m all about a well fed growing child, however the parents choose to do that. 
  • Options
    @nlc8424 I get what you’re saying, but I wouldn’t order those things for me for multiple reasons so I wouldn’t have them to share with my child. We’ll see how it goes if the toddler asks for some of H’s food while out. 
    My vegan and vegetarian friends who have non v/vg spouses usually let the kids eat some of what their spouse eats, but they never themselves buy or provide foods that they themselves wouldn't eat. The kids get used to it really fast and it doesn't seem to be an issue at all. It does get tricky if the non v/vg parent is eating a hot dog or something right in front of the kid and the parents try to say no. That doesn't go over as well. Not to say it can't be done, cause it can, but it's definitely more of a fight cause the kids don't understand why mom/dad can eat it but they can't. Most of my kiddos raised by at least one v/vg parent tend to make plant based food choices even when their parents aren't around, so clearly they are ok with it.
  • Options
    @nlc8424 I'm with @SkilledSailor on this one. I've been pescatarian (mostly vegetarian) for eight years and that is how we have raised our 5 yo DD to eat. If she has an interest in trying meat one day, I am perfectly fine with that. At this age, she actually knows where meat comes from (I didn't at that age) and doesn't have any interest in it. I want her to make her own choices but think it's important that she is informed about where her food comes from. Her pediatrician has always been supportive and my DD is healthy and thriving. 
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• Options
    @stothi H eats mostly healthy meals around me, even if when we eat out it's not vegetarian so theoretically I'd let a kid try it. He claims he eats tons of burgers at work, haha. I guess we'll have to discuss foods that are definite no-nos in advance so H doesn't eat them in front of the LO. 
  • Options
    @stothi and @SkilledSailor you're both right in that it's more so the parenting that's going on rather than the diet. You're 100% right that if a child is only ever exposed to plant based/non-meat based items that it's a non issue and the child won't know the difference. I suppose I should have given my statement more thought, my apologies! I can fully support a fully vegetarian/vegan diet, I just want to see kids grow appropriately when it comes down to it. You can provide unhealthful choices no matter what kind of diet you follow.
  • Options
    @nlc8424 No worries! I was never offended and you didn't say anything rude. Based on you're experiences today, it's understandable why you'd be upset. 
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor I will say I have heard of some vegan/vegetarian women who craved meat when they were pregnant... How strange would that be?!
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    edited February 2018
    @nlc8424 exactly! I believe it comes down to parenting. I've heard a lot of excuses over the years from parents offering all types of diets and in general when it comes to the kids who aren't getting proper nutrition, it's that the parents are being lazy/selfish. Plain and simple. Obviously I'm not talking about children with actual health issues. But your average kiddo who just needs some damn vegetables.*

Maybe this is my UO? I think it's selfish AF to say, "I can't afford _______ for my children," and then go to the store and buy booze and/or cigarettes. Makes me crazy. I don't give a fine flying F if you are addicted to nicotine or whatever else, if there is something you child needs - food, meds, whatever and you can't get it cause you spent what money you had on booze, cigarettes, tattoos, comic books, whatever, I judge the F out of you. All day long. This totally applies to the nutrition thing. If you could provide higher quality meals to your child by not buying your extra bad habit stuff, you should do that. Sure, they aren't starving eating nothing but Mac n cheese but if you could afford some broccoli too if you put back the beer- put back the freaking beer!!!

Edit to add: * I know some kids refuse veggies, so I don't mean you suck if you can't force em down your kid's throat. I mean it more as a statement to say something along the lines of making the effort to offer the proper quality and quantity of food and taking steps with vitamins or supplements to fill in the gaps. Kid's, especially toddlers, can be some real picky eaters. I'm not judging that. I'm judging the not even trying on the part of some parents I've met over the years.
  • Options
    @nlc8424 That was totally one of my biggest fears! I've been vegetarian for 11 years now so I honestly don't remember what normal meat tastes like. I have craved veggie burgers and Gardein's 7 grain "chicken" so probably similar to the other ladies. 
  • Options
    @stothi I agree! I once had a patient's parent give me this sob story about how they have to rely on food stamps and the food pantry and that they can't afford healthier foods, yet the mom wreaked of cigarette smoke. Made me crazy.
  • Options
    @EErin86 yes! Seriously. Recycling folks, it's a good thing.
  • Options
    Old cabinets/counters make seriously good garage/workshop spaces. DH was super pumped when my parents redid their kitchen and gave us the old cabinets. I get to steal their old bathroom vanities to make a mead making station in our basement  B)
  • Options
    With my daughter I set out to have a completely gender-neutral room, but then found some amazing furniture and accessories and it turned into pretty much the girliest room ever. Whoops! Think “Hollywood glam” black and white and light pink, gray walls, crystal knobs on the dresser, crystal light fixture, etc. with some jungle prints thrown in. I love it so much. But we often buy clothes in the boys department (for some reason all the girls shoes and overalls are decorated, but the boys are plain), and she has truck pajamas, etc. and she has plenty of “boy toys” too. 
  • Options
    @MandyMost your daughter's room sounds amazing! I want her room.

I've purchased "girl's" socks for my son when I want bright and colorful. Most of the "boy's" socks are white and sporty or have action cartoon characters on them. If you want plain colorful stripes you gotta hit up the girl's section.