October 2018 Moms

Bleeding at 6wks

Hello, so I'm 6 weeks pregnant. I've started noticing that when I go to the bathroom for a bowel movement and then I wipe, there is blood on the toilet paper. Do I need to be concerned? This is my first baby, so I'm a little worried.

Re: Bleeding at 6wks

• lest12lest12 member
    edited February 2018

It could just be from your cervix being irritated (if it is just a small bit of blood on the toilet paper).  I don't think that is uncommon.

I would call my dr just for piece of mind.

edit - I just signed my name as if this was a work email.  Jesus.

image        image

• If it’s only with BM it could be irritation from you butt. We have more blood pumping through our bodies and those veins probably get irritated when you poop.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ya, double check it’s actually coming from your vagina. I have blood but it’s for sure coming from my butt. (Don’t know a better way to put that ha)
  • Hemorrhoids are very common during pregnancy due to the extra pressure and blood flow. If it's only when you poop those would be my guess.
  • There are a lot of reasons why you might have some bleeding in early pregnancy, especially after using the bathroom. Just like pp said, the veins in your bottom could be irritated from passing a bm, or you could have hemorrhoids (totally normal in pregnancy) that are causing a small amount of bleeding that just appears to be coming from your vulva. You could also just be passing some blood because our cervixes are super sensitive right now. A small amount of bleeding is totally normal for the first trimester.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • northbeach3northbeach3 member
    edited February 2018
    If from rear, it’s likely hemmoroids or an anal fissure from passing a large bm. I had this once and it started as small drops on TP. Then I began to feel it during bms - light stinging presumably from new bms passing an open wound. I got medicated wipes. They also make suppositiories but I didn’t try those. Took several weeks to resolve. stool Softeners could help so that you’re straining less when you poop. fun topic! ;)
    me: 37 dh: 42; TTC since Jan 2016
    dx: PCOS, low progesterone; 2 MMC
    Sept FET 2018 Spreadsheet
    3 failed IUIs (clomid + ovidrel), unresponsive to femara
    Jan 2 2018 - 1st IVF cycle - 9 retrieved, 7 mature/fertilized, 1 5d transfer + 5 untested snowbabies
    Jan 19 2018 - Fresh Transfer #1 one 5dt; BFP 1/25/2018; EDD 10/7/2018; MMC at 8w3d; D&C 3/6/2018
    May 16 2018 - FET #1 one 5dt; BFP with 4 betas (6.5, 24.3, 165.5, 2250) - EDD 2/1/2019; MMC at 6w; D&C 6/20/18
    Sept 17 2018 - FET #2 one 5dt; BFP 38.9 7dpt, 167 9dpt - EDD 6/5/2019  
    (3 untested embryos remain)

• This happened to me last week two days in a row!  It was not from my butt, def from the vagina.  Just a bit when I wiped and never ended up in my underwear.  This also happened after I had an internal ultrasound.  I think my cervix was irritated and the pushing from doing a BM irritated it more.  Since then I’ve had very slight light brown discharge from time to time.  My nurse says this is normal, and unless im bleeding like a period, it’s fine.
  • Had my ultrasound today at 6 weeks 3 days and the Dr. said I had some bruising on my uterus from the placenta implanting and it could mean some bleeding will occur but it is normal. Most women get this. So it could be that. 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018