October 2018 Moms
Options

Faint Positive

kschyalakschyala member
edited February 2018 in October 2018 Moms
I’m 5 weeks, 1 day pregnant. I got my BFP on 2/4 and now on 2/13 my pregnancy tests are super faint still. I know a positive is a positive, but does this mean my hcg levels aren’t rising as they should? Have any of you had super faint positives at this point and gone on to have healthy pregnancies? This was my first pee of the day and I used two different brands- Wondfo and FRER- both were faint.  

*Trigger warning*
Update- my hcg level came back at 19 and I am cramping heavily now. I will go back tomorrow to see if they go back to normal but my doctor is saying this is likely a miscarriage. I wish you all a happy and healthy 9 months. 

Re: Faint Positive

• Options
     Call your doctor and see if she will order a blood test. That's the only way to determine if your hCG levels are rising or not. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    I should’ve added I had my blood done yesterday but was hoping to hear personal success stories with faint positives 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my second daughter I got faint positives for a solid week before they started getting darker. Are you scheduled to do a follow up blood test 48 hrs later to make sure levels are rising?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With my second daughter I got faint positives for a solid week before they started getting darker. Are you scheduled to do a follow up blood test 48 hrs later to make sure levels are rising?
    No my doctor said he wasn’t worried yesterday but now I AM worried as I took another test this morning. I think I will request one in 48 hours if it doesn’t come back super high. 
  • Options
    Even if it does come back super high I’d request a follow up level if you’re worried. The rate of increase matters much more than the actual number.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Le sigh. I'll bite, only because I went through this experience and it was extremely trying. First, how do you know you're 5+1? Have you been tracking your cycles?

The other ladies have provided great suggestions. Get a second blood fraw 2-3 days after the one youve had for comparison purposes. Your numbers should be doubling every 48-72 hours. That's much more important than the darkness of a line on a test.

As for the personal story aspect. I went through IVF, so I definitively know when sperm met egg met uterus so to speak. At what was equivalent to 13dpo, my bloodwork came back at 5... which is extremely low. Obviously, I wasn't turning urine tests. I didn't start getting faint lines on wondfos until after 14dpo and then they were super, super faint and not darkening. Despite that, my betas kept going up as they were supposed to. I didn't get a faint line on a Wal-Mart cheap test until after 19dpo.

So far, this appears to be a healthy pregnancy, but it's way too early to know for sure (I'm only 6+5). Either way, my story is not your story and visa versa. That said, I know how much it drove me nuts googling success stories with low betas while I was having them done, so I sympathize. Hang in there. 
  • Options
    If it is any consolation.. those tests vary greatly with different batches.  I had an iui and used the trigger shot of ovidrel (which is hcg). I believe the hcg level is around 6500.  I wanted to test out the trigger so the morning after the shot I took a wondfo and it was pretty light considering how much hcg was in my system. I am glad I did that though, because even though they are getting darker now that I am pregnant, they are still not as dark as the control.  I get beta’s every two days and they are doubling, so it must be the batch of tests.  Hope you can get a redraw to ease your concerns!
  • Options
    zwink1 said:
    Le sigh. I'll bite, only because I went through this experience and it was extremely trying. First, how do you know you're 5+1? Have you been tracking your cycles?

The other ladies have provided great suggestions. Get a second blood fraw 2-3 days after the one youve had for comparison purposes. Your numbers should be doubling every 48-72 hours. That's much more important than the darkness of a line on a test.

As for the personal story aspect. I went through IVF, so I definitively know when sperm met egg met uterus so to speak. At what was equivalent to 13dpo, my bloodwork came back at 5... which is extremely low. Obviously, I wasn't turning urine tests. I didn't start getting faint lines on wondfos until after 14dpo and then they were super, super faint and not darkening. Despite that, my betas kept going up as they were supposed to. I didn't get a faint line on a Wal-Mart cheap test until after 19dpo.

So far, this appears to be a healthy pregnancy, but it's way too early to know for sure (I'm only 6+5). Either way, my story is not your story and visa versa. That said, I know how much it drove me nuts googling success stories with low betas while I was having them done, so I sympathize. Hang in there. 
    You’ll bite? Thanks. Yes I was tracking my cycles
  • Options
    zwink1zwink1 member
    edited February 2018
    Sorry if you found that offensive. I come from the land of TTGP. This was extremely, extremely mild by comparison.  We're still learning and growing this board and every board is different so we'll see where this particular board settles, but from my prior experience, these sort of posts are frowned upon. Hence the "I'll bite" comment. It's not like I was rude, I answered the question with the information you were looking for.

I ask if you were tracking your cycles because, unless you're temping, there's no real way to confirm ovulation (and even that doesn't *really* confirm ovulation) other than well-timed ultrasounds.  (ETA: which is to say that I was just going to say that maybe you aren't as far along as you initially thought, which could explain the faint positives).

Wondfos weren't great for tracking progression in my experience.
  • Options
    @zwink1 it may seem extremely mild to you but it is a loss. 
  • Options
    pebbledampebbledam member
    edited February 2018
    @kimscheider - @zwink1 wasn't saying that your loss was mild, but that her snark was mild. And FWIW, I think this thread would have worked better in the "First Trimester" board. I am sorry for your loss and I hope you have a good support system at home to get you through this difficult time. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @kimscheider I’m really sorry that you’re going through this. FWIW I wouldn’t have posted on the first trimester board bc my BMBs have always been my go to spot for everything. 
  • Options
    @kimscheider FX for a sticky babe and higher numbers tomorrow. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    Thanks, @pebbledam, I didn't see the update - was not referring to the loss and was definitely in relation to my snark. Absolutely agree with everything else you said as well.

Also, for what it's worth, @kimscheider I wouldn't give up hope just yet. You may have calculated O wrong, or the embryo could have implanted late. As I said, my first beta draw came back at 5.  Two days later, it was only 9, three days after that, it was up to 61.
    You're not out yet, and anything is possible.

In the event that your second draw comes back negative, I am very sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    @kimscheiderg I’m so sorry your going through this. Like @kate-expectations said, you’ve got support here ❤️
  • Options
    I'm sorry.  I've been there (in the land of uncertainty) and it's a tough place to be.  Fingers crossed everything works out.

image        image

• Options
    @kimscheider any update? Did they retake the numbers? I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have been there, it is devastating. Sending T&Ps your way.