September 2018 Moms
Options

Moms of Multiples Check-In (Week of 2/4)

Are you a mom of multiples? Or are you pregnant with multiples now? If you answered yes to either of these questions than this check-in is for you!

The schedule shows to post these on Tuesdays, but since I haven’t seen one yet I figured it would be okay to post a little early. 

How far along are you? 

What kind of pregnancy (Singleton, Di/Di, Mono/Di, Mo/Mo, Triplets, etc.)?

Do you have other children or is this your first?

How did you find out you were having multiples and what were you and your significant other’s reactions? 

What are your plans with sharing the big news?

Current joys, concerns or questions? 

Anniversary
Me (29) + DH (30) | Dating 2003 | Married 2008
DS - 02/21/2016

Re: Moms of Multiples Check-In (Week of 2/4)

• Options
    How far along are you? 7 weeks, 3 days

What kind of pregnancy (Singleton, Di/Di, Mono/Di, Mo/Mo, Triplets, etc.)? Twins but we were so shocked forgot to ask what type. I have both high risk and regular obgyn appointments next week on 2/15 so I will find out then. My regular obgyn is doing another ultrasound then.

Do you have other children or is this your first? First pregnancy

How did you find out you were having multiples and what were you and your significant other’s reactions? We went for an ultrasound at 6 weeks, 3 days and had been told to possibly expect miscarriage bc my #s weren't doubling every 48 hours and I have been spotting since 1/19. An ultrasound at hospital at exactly 5 weeks showed a gestional and yolk sac but they didn't mention twins so my husband and I were beyond thrilled and crying. He does have two sets of cousins that are twins but in my family there aren't any.

What are your plans with sharing the big news? We couldn't keep quiet after the twin news and posted to social media an announcement, we had previously told close friends and family in person or over the phone. I figure if anything happens I want the support.

Current joys, concerns or questions? I am pretty good except my migraines have gotten worse (since going off my seizure and  migraine meds) along nausea but I can't complain and am really over the moon! I am a little anxious about still being on my narcotics and muscle relaxers but I have severe chronic pain in my back and nerve damage in my left leg and my spinal cord stimulator isn't doing enough to take care of it. Most nights I end up on the couch with a body pillow due to my hips hurting. My obgyn said it would be worse for the babies to experience the withdrawal now and me being in worse pain. He said it could cause miscarriage. I go back to pain Dr. Next week but they are pretty open to pregnancy and pain control. I just wish I knew someone that had been pregnant before and on medication that could calm my remaining doubts.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yay! Glad some twin mom have posted! 

@iluvgoldies33 congrats on he news! If they are Di Di they would each have their own placentia. Mono/Di share a placentia but have their own amniotic sacs. Fraternal twins are genetic whereas identical twins are pure chance and don’t relate to genetics. I learned all of that from the ultrasound tech when we found out we were having twins. 

@starswilldiex2829 I looked at your ultrasound post and it looks like your having Di Di Twins (I’m no expert so I can be totally wrong but it looks like two placentias) so they could be fraternal or Identical. What a whirlwind for you to be told to expect a miscarriage and then find out the news of twins!  
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    How far along are you? 10+4

What kind of pregnancy (Singleton, Di/Di, Mono/Di, Mo/Mo, Triplets, etc.)? Mono/Di

Do you have other children or is this your first? I have a son who’s turning 2 in a week. 

How did you find out you were having multiples and what were you and your significant other’s reactions? We went to our first appointment at 9 weeks. When the ultrasound tech told us the news my husband was speechless while I started crying (out of fear/overwhelmed?). Once the news settled we started getting more excited about it but we were so shocked the doctors appointment was a blur and we asked no questions. 

What are your plans with sharing the big news? My husband was super eager to tell the news once we found out. We showed Identical onesies to family and had them realize we were having 2. On social media we posted a picture of DS with 2 onesies behind him and emphasized how 2 is a big number in our home right now with DS turning 2 and 2 on the way. 

Current joys, concerns or questions? I have an appointment with the MFM on Monday and I’m really eager for that. I have a a list of questions I plan on asking. 
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    Hi I am a STM. My husband and I have been married for over 7years and have a son who is 2.5.  We tried to conceive for years with our first and after being told it was not going to happen on our own we finally conceived him after doing IVF and two frozen embryo tranfsers. Finding out a few weeks ago I was pregnant (naturally) was a huge and wonderful blessing. Had my first ultrasound this week and and we found out we are having Twins! Very exciting,  very nervous. Just hoping all stays well. My EDD is 9/30. 
  • Options
    @kmar123456 what a wonderful surprise for you and your family! Congrats! Glad to have you here :smile:
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    Jyoung327Jyoung327 member
    edited February 2018
    It's nice to see others expecting twins also! I'm a STM with a 21mo DS. We went through fertility tx so I should have known there was a chance, but it was like 5%. We had 2 eggs, di/di twins, but don't know yet if they came from separate eggs. 

How far along are you?  9 weeks 4 days

How did you find out you were having multiples and what were you and your significant other’s reactions? 
       My DH and I had been joking about if we had twins and how insane it would be right up to the exam room at 6 weeks with my RE office. The Dr started the ultrasound and was explaining what things were and "oh! I think there are two!" And DH just gave me this look and I burst out laughing. He was quiet and in shock for some days but we are now in twin mode. 

What are your plans with sharing the big news?
     We have an apt March 7th including a 90 min ultrasound so once we know things are ok we will announce. Family already knows.

Current joys, concerns or questions? 
    Mostly just stressing about finances, having to upgrade to bigger vehicles, childcare for 3, etc. 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    My next appt is 2/28, if everything looks good then we will announce it officially. Immediate fam already knows. 

So so my EDD is 9/15, how early do we expect to go with twins ? I got used to the idea of a September birthday already
  • Options
    @iluvgoldies33 my edd is 9/2 but I already know they won’t let me go past 37 weeks which puts me at August 12th. I’m thinking for me, it might be more around 35 weeks. 
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    My OB also said he would induce me by 37 weeks. My edd was 9/11 so I'm ok with that...plus summer heat and double huge ahhh
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    I'm glad this thread got started! 

How far along are you? 9w0d

What kind of pregnancy (Singleton, Di/Di, Mono/Di, Mo/Mo, Triplets, etc.)? Di/Di

Do you have other children or is this your first? This is our first!

How did you find out you were having multiples and what were you and your significant other’s reactions? I had some bleeding, so I went in for an ultrasound at what I thought was about 6.5 weeks. They found that I had a subchorionic hematoma (SCH), which was the source of the bleeding...and twins!! (And based on the growth at that time they decided I was 5-6 days behind where I would have been based on my dates.) We were in ABSOLUTE shock. I just kept giggling hysterically and my husband sat there in shocked silence. It had never crossed my mind that it could be twins. 

What are your plans with sharing the big news? We've already told our immediate families. I've been going in regularly for monitoring of the SCH, and it has not shrunk, so we're at increased risk of miscarriage. We're planning to wait until about 12 weeks to go more public, depending on the status of the SCH at that time.

Current joys, concerns or questions? The hospital that I was planning to deliver at does not have a NICU. They are very supportive of vaginal birth with twins, but I am concerned about the likelihood of one or both babies needing a NICU. The hospital that does have a NICU is about 45 minutes away, which is farther than I would like to travel. Right now, the plan is to (later) do more research on both hospitals, and switch care if necessary.
  • Options
    @iba34 I understand the frustration of a hospital not having a NICU. While my options are closure than yours it’s frustrating to be pushed into only 1 option because it’s the only hospital equipped to handle the what if’s. congrats on the twins and I’ll be thinking of you and hoping the SCH starts to shrink! 
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    Couldnt find any more recent mom of multiple threads so just wanted to ask, any other twin moms feel like they are showing already? I am 12 weeks and feeling like my winter blump is turning more into a maybe-bump and feeling super self conscious about showing this early.  With my DS people couldnt tell until more like 16-17 weeks.  I know, twins=more, but still, they are still so small! Im embarrassed to be getting out my maternity stuff already.  
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    @Jyoung327 sorry I never started another weekly thread. I’m tempted to just make them monthly as I can’t imagine there’s too much to say every week.

I’m 13+1 and definitely feel like I’m showing more than I did with my previous pregnancy. I believe I can feel where my uterus is and it seems to be measuring about 3 weeks ahead (so more like 16 weeks) when looking at a diagram. I’m sure showing earlier this time around is a combination of it being a subsequent pregnancy and the fact that it’s multiples. 
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    @Jyoung327

I'm 11 weeks and I already can't fit into any of my regular pants comfortably. I bought a pair of jeans from Gap that have the little elastic insets in the waistband rather than the full-on panel, and those are working for me. This is my first pregnancy so I don't have a comparison. But I have started to notice that even the smallest point of my waist is thicker - I can barely squeeze into dresses that have a fitted waist if it's not elastic. 

However, I don't know if I'm "showing." It's definitely noticeable, but to someone who doesn't know that I tend to get fat on my hips not my stomach, I probably just look like I've gained some weight!
  • Options
    Same for me, I'm 11+3 and a FTM and no pants fit. My underwear doesn't even fit, i think my hips have stretched already. 

Maybe be this thread every two weeks is good? Monthly seems like not enough! 

I go for another ultrasound tomorrow and for panamora testing. So excited !

My morning sickness and all day nausea reached an unbearable level last week so I was started on diclegis and it has helped so much. 
  • Options
    @iluvgoldies33 I’m glad you finally have a fix for your nausea! Have fun at your appointment tomorrow. I must say it is nice how often we all get to see our babies since we have ultrasounds more often. 

I saw in the sex thread that someone clicked girl/girl twins? Who in our group found out what they are having? I’m so eager to find out on the 20th of March. I’ll be 16 weeks then. 
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    @xxkberxx  Im not sure who found out already....my next ultrasound is next wednesday, Ill be 13 +1 and i know thats super early but I am reeeeeeeeally hoping they can tell me the sexes......the wait is so hard when there are 2! i waited until 21 weeks with DS! torture!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    I am only 9w 4 days and my husband said to me yesterday "you are not going to be able to hide this pregnancy much longer lol". I didn't show much at all until about 15-16 weeks with my first pregnancy. 
  • Options
    @Jyoung327 I agree! I have never been so eager to find out. With DS I wasn’t as eager and didn’t find out till 20 weeks. This time I’m itching for my next appointment on the 20th. Hopefully you find out at your 13 week appointment! Keep us updated!
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    How far along are you? 9 weeks 4 days 

What kind of pregnancy (Singleton, Di/Di, Mono/Di, Mo/Mo, Triplets, etc.)? Twins and I have no idea what kind. We just found out yesterday and are in shock. I didn’t think to ask but believe they are in their own sacs

Do you have other children or is this your first? We have a 19 mo boy

How did you find out you were having multiples and what were you and your significant other’s reactions? I asked at the beginning of the ultrasound if it was only one and the tech said why would you ask that? And we chatted the whole time while she took a really long time to do the measurements but said everything looked good. She then brought my husband in and I said don’t worry babe it’s just one and she said actually...and turned the screen around. She wanted my husband to be there to find out together. We had been joking about having twins but never thought it would happen!

What are your plans with sharing the big news? We shared with most of our family and friends after finding out. My brother has twins (and an older child too) so everyone was shocked that I am too. 

To to be honest I’m scared, how do you care for 2 babies at once and a toddler?!?
  • Options
    Welcome @lauren9050 ! Finding out the news of twins can be quite shocking and a bunch of questions do come to mind but over time the worry will hopefully fade, and the pure excitement will set in. I’m in a similiar situation as you, 24 month son and twins on the way. I don’t have advice on how to car for twins and a toddler as I haven’t experienced it yet myself, but I’m sure it will all work out. Facebook has a lot of multiple groups that may be informative for you. Depending on the type of twins you have will dictate the frequency of care you receive from your doctor. All twin pregnancy’s have more frequent appointments that singletons but if you are Mono/Di Or Mono/Mono there will be even more frequent visits than Di/Di Twins. If they have their own placentas they are Di/Di. You’ll likely be referred to an MFM as well. 
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    Thank you @xxkberxx I have a lot to learn about this twin world. I have an appt on Friday so will hopefully get some answers there. I’m in Canada so our ultrasound techs aren’t actually allowed to say too much. Our was sweet and knew how shocked we were though so let us know they were measuring on track and everything looked as it should. 

Im looking at switching hospitals and consequently doctors. We live down the street from the hospital I had my son at but they don’t have a NICU. There is another hospital 30 min away with state of the art NICU and may department so I think I will feel better there. I’m in for another C section. 
  • Options
    We are exactly the same on how far along and we have a son who is 2.5. I keep asking how in the world we are going to manage but I'm sure it will just work out and be our "normal".
  • Options
    Totally. We are trying to focus on there will be more good than bad. It’s going to be hard and tiring but really good!!
  • Options
    I had an appt yesterday at 11+4 and got to see both babies moving around. I also had blood drawn for the panarama testing and gender determination so that could be back in as soon as 2 weeks !
  • Options
    @iluvgoldies33 I haven’t had a chance to ask about the accuracy of the gender determination with the Panorma testing with multiples. Does it only work if you’re having 2 of the same sex?
  • Options
    Nope it works for both kinds of twins with very high accuracy :) just watched a 30 min PowerPoint on the accuracy and predictability of the panarama test for twin gestations. Found it on the company website, geared towards ob/gyns taking care of patients pregnant with twins. 
  • Options
    Ughhh wish I could do the nipt...my insurance covers lab work in full but needs prior authorization for genetic testing which my OB office doesn't do...they go through some random call center doing the harmony test and are out of network with my insurance so it'd cost 200.  I have no reason to suspect genetic issues so I can't reason spending that much when what I was really hoping for was the sexes lol. I can be patient for 200. Fingers crossed for my scan next week (13+1l although I wouldn't believe it for sure until the real anatomy scan down the line. 
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    @Jyoung327 I asked today too about coverage (I’m in Canada) they said it’s free if your other bloodwork comes back with abornimalities otherwise it’s $550. Steep price to find out the genders. Guess I’ll wait too!
  • Options
    How far along are you? 11 + 3

What kind of pregnancy (Singleton, Di/Di, Mono/Di, Mo/Mo, Triplets, etc.)? Di/Di

Do you have other children or is this your first? We've been pregnant before, but this will be our first take home babies!

How did you find out you were having multiples and what were you and your significant other’s reactions? I found out during the first ultrasound at about 7 weeks. The last time I had an US during the last pregnancy we found out the baby had stopped growing, so going into this one was especially nerve wracking! I couldn't even look at the US screen - it wasn't until the tech said looks like you're having two did I finally turn my head to the screen. Completely shocked! The first thing the tech and doc asked was did we start doing some fertility treatment after the losses that they didn't know about - nope, completely natural!

What are your plans with sharing the big news? DH would love to tell everybody now, but given how our last two pregnancies ended I'm just a lot more hesitant than he is to share the news. I originally said let's wait until 12 weeks, but now that that's approaching I'm thinking I want to wait until we are officially in the second trimester. So we'll see if we can keep it in for a few more weeks. With the frequency of appointments I'm having though - I might go ahead and tell work this week.

Current joys, concerns or questions? We decided to do the NT testing, which if I understand correctly has to be done between 11-13 weeks. I just realized my next appointment isn't until a little after 14 weeks, so I think I will call tomorrow and inquire about it since it's time sensitive. For you ladies that may have already had it, did your OB do it themselves or did you have to go to a specialist? I think mine said a specialist does it - maybe that's why she didn't schedule it with her office?
  • Options
    @jennyc2018 a specialist did my nt scan, and then I had my regular OB appointment a week later.
  • Options
    Anyone have a full 90 min ultrasound at 13 + 1? My last ultrasound was at 8 weeks at the RE office....just wondering what to expect tomorrow  (so nervous, so excited, PGAL, and also imagining all the things that could be wrong).  Why such a full ultrasound this early? With DS I didn't get a full one til 21 weeks.
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    Also, if all goes well tomorrow we plan to announce on social media (our families have been bursting for 7 weeks, it's time)...I'm having a hard time with announcements and can't seem to find the announcement thread (on mobile) anyone willing to share theirs? Ds had a big brother shirt and a big brother of twins shirt, also has a "God gave us two" big brother book, those were my ideas so far
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    @Jyoung327 I haven’t had a full ultrasound yet that was more detailed and took that much time however at my next appointment (16 weeks) and every two weeks from there I will have more detailed ultrasounds. When I announced on social media I did a picture of my son and played on 2 being a big number this month with DS turning two and two siblings on the way. We had DS give a surprised look with two onesies hanging behind him. 
    Anniversary
    DS - 02/21/2016