June 2018 Moms

STM+ Check In (February)

Welcome to the February STM+ chat.  Lets get to know each other better.  Tell me something cute or horrifying one of your children has done recently.  :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
Third Son - due June 9, 2018

Re: STM+ Check In (February)

• Loading the player...
  • @sunshineandwhiskey Aww! DS is 17 mos and our struggle is not just the wanting to be carried all the time, but when he does want to walk on his own, he goes everywhere but where I need him to go. Not only did your DD do that, but she shared too! That's awesome.
    @jsl82 Cute! It's the best when you start seeing that confidence after they realize they can walk. And yes, be on guard, especially when it comes to saying things you don't want repeated. I shudder to think of things DD may have repeated at daycare.
  • mytincmytinc member
    edited February 2018
    I'd like to say he typically has that attitude @jsl82, but it comes and goes.  Many times he gets frustrated easily and gives up on things.  I think he was enjoying the video game and when DH and I tried to tell him the goal (eat the pellets, stay away from the ghosts, etc.) he decided he'd play it his way so he could still play and have fun.  One of the games (Mappy, I think it was called) made the character do a somersault when it died, so he would make it die on purpose because he liked watching it.  

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
  • @catlady1215 DH's second cousin was about 5 when she informed me that males cats have nibbles too, even though they don't feed kitties. And as for the weewees, I love kid logic. It's really funny to see connections they make. 
  • @mytinc yes! It's funny that I was close to 30 before I ever stopped to consider what "sucks" really means and then I was horrified at how freely I used it.
    I rely heavily on God Bless America and motherfather, for my own personal use. DD used to say "what the dangit?!"
  • @mytinc yes! DS has asked me on multiple times if I 'have one of these?' as he pulls it out. I just tell him that girls don't have those. He even asked to see once and I had to quickly have the talk about that not being appropriate and that no one but mommy, daddy, grandparents and doctors see his lol
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • DS1 and DS2 have seen me naked and taken showers with me (up until about age 3.5), so they're well aware that I don't have one @catlady1215 - but I don't let them have any sort of close up look.  I tell them it's my private area and leave it at that.

First Son - born 2013
  • @catlady1215 @mtinc Too funny! She was 4 or 5 when we had to have the talk about boys and girls having different parts. But after we found out we were expecting, we asked her how she'd know if her sibling was a boy or girl and she said "Oh that's easy, girls have long hair and boys have short hair." Out of the mouths of babes!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • omg these stories are amazing.

My 3 year old two days ago grabbed one of my breast and said Mom what is in here and then grabbed the other one. I was like that is mommy's chest baby. He said okay, my cars can go over mountains has he drives his cars over one. We are now having the conversation about appropriate touching. He is going to be mad when little sister arrives and she gets to eat from them.

DS is turning into a funny little boy. We were arguing the other day about sisters being girls and brothers being boys. In the middle of the discussion he says. Okay I am done bye and turns his head to look out the window. Wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the ride home. 
  • @harveyabbey77 That is awesome! Boobies are a frequent point of conversation in our house. And @catlady1215 "nibbles"! I love it!

I have a journal that I bought on Etsy before our first daughter was born. I only write in it maybe every month (I am terrible at remembering!) but whenever one of our kids says something really cute/creepy, I jot it down so that someday they can read all of the things that they said.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @xtabbikatx I'm kind of wondering how to start the breast feeding convo with DS if i try to nurse..... boy who can't be serious about anything. It should be fun lol.
  • @meg95995 I use FB for recording cute quotes. I would totally lose a book. 
  • @catlady2015, He is six? I probably wouldn't start the convo until you actually start nursing and then only if he asked? I'm not sure, but that's probably what I would do unless it came up naturally somewhere else. 
  • That's a great idea! I had to get off of FB. I deactivated almost 2 years ago, due to being on there constantly, and getting waaaay too upsest/involved in other people's drama. I am a little sad for when the group moves from here to FB, since I won't likely follow over there. My last BMB that I was really active in (June 2012) fell into a dramatic, nasty mess once everyone moved over, and the BMB died off, since everyone had migrated to FB. mwap mwap mwap.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @meg95995 there's a couple of people in my group that created faux accounts just to hang with us over there because they didn't have or want a FB. Just food for thought. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DD is talking up a storm, and it is adorable. However, she tells our Dog to "back off". But I am not completely sure it is that. I know she has heard me tell the dog to "faff" off and think she may be repeating. GAH!

She is also calls kleenex: Ging-gox - which I love. And all the little songs. In bed she likes to pile all her dolls (Named Happy, Big Happy and Little M), and sing the 10 in the bed song... they "rode over, rode over", until she is the only one in the bed. Kills me. 

We have been working on getting her her own big girl room. And each night I ask her what she wants in it. Now as part of our bedtime ritual she says she wants yellow sheet, yellow carpet, yellow lamp, etc. 

And because of Dance class, she likes to take a daily MARCH up and down the sidewalk in front of our house. She is a completely hilarious joy in my life! That all so had an earache, and nightmare last night, and hasn't slept through the night more than 2 nights in a row in about a year. 

Basically she is lucky she is sweet and cute and snuggly. Sleep deprivation is real.
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @xtabbikatx he'll be alittle over 5 and a half come baby time. That's kinda what I'm thinking. I just can see him having so many questions if he walks in the hospital room to that lol

• edited February 2018
    @marcus7676 I am with @izza2 on the kudos. I feel like it's really important for kids to know correct terminology. It may have been slightly embarrassing when DD yelled out that her " 'gina"  itched while we were talking to our server at a restaurant, but it definitely makes it easier for her to communicate when she's having an issue down there. 
  • @Xtabbikatx You're right; it is encouraged by those who deal with abused kids because if they are really young and they do not know the correct word, their testimony could easily be dismissed. (ex. using the word "cookie" or "biscuit".) 
  • @Xtabbikatx DS is in a center daycare. The other day, the teacher asked what terms we used and I told her.  She said that they were recently told that they had to keep terms generic and just use "privates." I'm actually annoyed by it because I want DS to know the proper term and we use that at home. I can understand generally using "privates" if the teachers don't know, or parents prefer it, but they still have to use "privates" with DS even though we've told them we prefer otherwise.  

• @marcus7676 before I finished reading I thought 'how funny if he did it to someone other than mom!'... annnnd he did. :D

@izza2 I hate the word 'peepee'. I kinda just say whatever comes out at the time. penis still feels weird also. but we should probably start soon since he's getting older and should know.

• +1 to teaching the correct terms for genitals. I do feel funny when I have to tell DS, "yep, that's your penis" or "don't pull on your testicles" in my sing songy baby talk voice so sometimes "peepee" comes out.

I was listening to a podcast the other day where they were interviewing a sex educator/writer and he was saying how important it is to normalize all body parts, not to shame or make kids feel uncomfortable about their bodies, etc. But it can sometimes lead to awkward circumstances, like a little boy who asked his mom, "can I smell your vagina?". LOL...Sounds so creepy, but to him it wasn't different than asking to smell her feet. I guess that's when the conversation about personal/private areas needs to start.
  • @MoonOverGoldsboro That's how they roll ;) It's awesome that the therapy is helping!