TTC After a Loss

D&C

Not sure if this is the correct place for this post (please tell me where it should go if I’m wrong). But recently had a D&C for twins who stopped growing week 6 day 5 (ultrasound was week 8).

My doctor said we should be able to try and conceive whenever we’re ready, although she suggested waiting till my first period so my lining could rebuild.

Just wondering if anyone had any success getting pregnant (and not having another miscarriage) after a D&C. Any suggestions on trying to track ovulation? (Our first pregnancy we were tracking).

Re: D&C

• That’s suppose to say “last pregnancy we WERE NOT trying”
  • First off, I’m sorry for your loss. It’s not easy dealing with a loss, but this group is a great place for support. 

In my case, I had a D&C at the beginning of August, and got pregnant again about 3.5 months later in mid November. Unfortunately, I also lost that pregnancy, and had a natural mc a couple weeks after I found out. That being said, many people do go on to get pregnant quickly after a D&C and have healthy successful pregnancies. 

In terms of tracking ovulation, OPKs are helpful at predicting in advance so that you have time to BD before O. Many people (myself included) also track basal body temperature, which can help to confirm O after the fact. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a D&C in December and I started taking OPKs about 2 weeks afterwards and I used them daily and kept an eye out for other signs of O but never got any clear signs and never got a positive OPK.  I was also taking HPTs to make sure my HCG was going down and continued to get positives on those for 4 weeks after my loss.  AF showed up 29 days after my D&C and the day before I still had gotten a positive HPT.  I’m pretty certain I didn’t ovulate before my period showed up.  That being said, I do know people who have had successful pregnancies after loss before their first post loss cycle, so it certainly is possible. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Sorry for your losses. I've been PG three times since my D&C; however, all of mine have been MCs, so I'm sure I'm not the success story you're looking for. Since my MCs/D&C I've found I have less CM at times, so if you notice that, I highly recommend PreSeed.
    As for tracking... I definitely recommend taking your Basal Body Temperature every morning. Also read Taking Care of Your Fertility. The only normal after MC is that there is no normal. Your cycles may go back to exactly how they were beforehand, or they could be a complete ? for months and months afterwards. Your symptoms could be completely different or exactly the same. Weird and wonky stuff can happen. Tracking is going to be the only way you truly know if/when you ovulated. 

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• My temp chart after my D&C didn’t even make sense... it was very rocky up and down and I had no clue what was going on... I have irregular cycles that can be longer with PCOS but I was so confused even trying to track it.  OPKs were positive because my HCG was still going down for a few weeks... super confusing.  Don’t beat yourself up if you can’t figure it out, it’s much easier the next cycle, even though they can be wonky for a while as @dpjennifer said.  The only normal is that there IS no one normal.