January 2018 Moms
Options

Feeding your baby!!

I wanted to have a general post going about questions/concerns regarding breastfeeding/pumping/formula. If it gets too long we can make specific ones but didn’t want it to be exclusive yet 

Re: Feeding your baby!!

• Options
    Right now we are on the struggle bus with breastfeeding. I've finally found a position that works for us, problem is the only time she'll really nurse is when she is really awake between 6pm and 8 pm. All other attempts end in a sleeping or screaming baby. 
  • Options
    @burnsmommy27 does stripping her down help her stay more awake? 

Working moms- when are you planning on pumping to start building a freezer stash? I think I may start when he’s 2 weeks. I started later last time and learned my body produced just enough for baby so my stash was on the lower end and had went through it fast/had to pump more frequently at work than I had expected to 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @burnsmommy27 does stripping her down help her stay more awake? 

Working moms- when are you planning on pumping to start building a freezer stash? I think I may start when he’s 2 weeks. I started later last time and learned my body produced just enough for baby so my stash was on the lower end and had went through it fast/had to pump more frequently at work than I had expected to 
    The lactation nurse at my hospital recommends waiting til 4 weeks pp to start pumping.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    This time around, I feel like breastfeeding is so much harder. Maybe because I also have a 2 year old. She also doesn’t have a schedule when she eats. Still in the eating whenever she’s hungry. With my first it was about every 2 hours. This one can range from 3 hours to every hour. She also wants to use me as her pacifier...I can’t get her to take one at all. I wish she would! It didn’t interfear at all with my first breastfeeding so I wish she’d take a Pacifier to soothe her as well!
  • Options
    @sbishop426 not really. She has her days and nights mixed up really bad (she was awake from 7 pm to midnight last night). So during the day she is interested and nurses long enough for letdown then is out. I've even changed her diaper and nothing.

I'm already pumping  (3 weeks PP) but it's mostly to feed her. She only eats 6-7times a day so I nurse for maybe 2 times and she eats the bottles I pump. I'm only staying ahead of her by like 2 oz a day right now
  • Options
    So, I know that a good latch isn't supposed to hurt... But I get some initial pain when LO gets started, then it goes away.
     I think this happened last time but I also had s ome BF-ing issue, so I can't remember if it's normal or a sign that I need to work on his latch.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    Ugh!!  I was having a really good two day stretch with feeding without spitting up, but got completely projectiled onto this evening!  Like the exorcist!  This is something new for me.  The kid was then instantly rooting again and looking for food.  Geez!!  I made him wait an hour and didn't let him feed as long.  He was pretty fussy until I got his burp out, but then he got the hiccups which he did not like.  Pushes me one step closer to just exclusive pumping.  I was trying to get the data of my old phone for my tracker app to see what I had done with DS1, since I pumped and breastfed early on. I have another week or so to see if I ended up with a colicky baby.  Fingers crossed that he is not

• Options
    I started pumping right away but mostly because my baby had high bilirubin and initial weight loss so they wanted my milk to come in stat. I’ve been doing it three times a day right after she nurses and save the breast milk. The next time she nurses her dad follows me up with the pumped breast milk. I’m not really getting ahead of her or saving anything at the point. 

The initial latch hurts for me as well but almost right away goes away so I wasn’t too worried about!
  • Options
    @mindaa I had the same initial latch pain with DS and also now with DD. Every LC I’ve talked to has said that that is completely normal at first and you should only worry if it lasts through every feed and beyond. I just look at it as my nipples getting used to the gummy little milk monster. 
  • Options
    ^^ Thanks!
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    Pumping question:  
    LO normally only feeds on one side a feeding before being satisfied.  That leave the other side rather engorged.  Should I pump after on the side she didn't nurse from? or wait and let my supply regulate?  Shes only 5 days and I've heard starting early pumping can create a whole another problem with overproducing.  Any tips would help!
  • Options
    @conineml i started pumping right away at the hospital because the docs wanted my milk to come in fast so baby could eat more and poop more to get rid of her elevated bilirubin. I had pretty bad breast engorgement the first week (it may have been a result of pumping early) and pumped a tiny bit just before breast feeding when I couldn’t tolerate the pain or if baby couldn’t latch. I also did it when she’d only take one boob. I know it’s not highly recommended due to problems with overproduction but after 1 week my body had self regulated and now I’m only pumping once a day by choice (not due to engorgement) so DH can do one night feeding so I can sleep for one solid stretch at night. Worked pretty well for me but everyone is a little different I know! 
  • Options
    I personally would not pump yet. Is there a lactation consult you could call? I know our hospital had some and provided us with numbers to call if we had questions. 
  • Options
    @sdheft619 yes I've been meaning to set up another time with the LC.  I think LO is also being extremely lazy latching and it causes some discomfort sometimes but I can't seem to get her to get a good deep latch.  I'll see what she thinks on the pumping.  My engorgement has gone down quite a bit since LO has decided to cluster on me multiple times!  Guess she's trying to help me out lol
  • Options
    @conineml I remember with my first feeling so relieved when she would drink and get rid of the engorgement. I can’t remeber, is this your first or no? It was very weird to me but I did not have the painful engorgement with my second like I did with my first! It was sooo nice. See for the full feeling and needed some relief but nothing like the first time!! 

Best of luck. I hope you can get her to get a good latch! Are you sure it’s just not sore nipples? I questioned this ones latch but after my nipples stoppped being sore I realized her latch was fine and it was just soreness!
  • Options
    @sdheft619 yes this is my first!  It might just be sore nipples...going to see LC on Tuesday just to double check everything.