September 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions w/o 1/14

Have a question about pregnancy, appointments, or what not? Ask them here! 

Re: Weekly Questions w/o 1/14

• Options
    smsaulinosmsaulino member
    edited January 2018
    Mainly for S+TM ... were you all in school when you were expecting in the past? Did it cause your symptoms to increase? I'm starting my second semester in online schooling on Tuesday and I'm really nervous that it'll be very stressful on me and I'll have to drop out in the middle of the semester. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @smsaulino I was in school for my other degree when I was expecting DD. I was going full time, but to a physical campus. It didn't so much increase my stress, but pregnancy brain kicked my butt. It was sometimes really difficult to hold a train of thought during exams and what not. The semester after, when I was further along, I took online classes instead. I found that to be much, much more manageable. Everyone obviously handles stress and being pregnant differently, but I found it a tad easier online. Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not sure if this totally fits in this thread, but does anybody have any experience with a baby and toddler sharing a room? We live in a 2 br house and this is baby #2. I plan to have the new baby stay in our room for at least the first 6 mo, but when would be a reasonable time for the two kids to share (DD will be 2 when this babe is born). Moving into a bigger place isn't an option right now, but I'm so worried that they will just wake each other up all night!
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414 No experience but I've been worrying about the same thing myself. We have a small 3rd bedroom but I'm torn as to whether or not I want to give up our guestroom and have considered having both kids in the same room. I would love to hear any 3rd or 4th time mom's experiences!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    JC what kind of apps everyone is using for pregnancy tracking on your phone? Last pregnancy and currently Ive been using the What to Expect when Youre Expecting app but its kind of boring with its baby size comparisons...just wondering if there was a more fun one 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    @Jyoung327 the Ovia one is ok and free. I did the trial for sprout but didn’t buy it. 
  • Options
    @AdmiralKitty can you have a bed in one of the kids rooms? I had to give up my guest room for my 2nd kid and just decided to keep a bed in her room. It was so nice in the beginning because I would feed her and pass out on the bed. You could also use it for guests and setup a p&p somewhere else in the house when people come over. 
  • Options
    I just turned a test yesterday and my period isn't due to Friday. Should I call and schedule a doctor appointment now? Hold off and see what happens? I can't remember what I did the first time. 
  • Options
    Hubs and I have been having the same conversation. We have a small 3 br house and one is our guest room and one is his office. We have no idea what we want to do with the guest room space. One of my friends kept her guest bed when she had her kid and loved being able just to sleep there if the kid was having a tough night so not to keep waking her husband who was working. I'd like to do that but I'm concerned about floor space.
  • Options
    @lilsebastian you can call whenever you like, each doctor is a little different when they want to see you but calling to schedule early isn't weird
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414 - i can't speak from experience, but we also have a 2 bedroom and we are also expecting number 2. Our plan is to have baby 2 in our room until he or she sleeps through the night, and then they'll share. Our first only STTN sporadically and he's 16 months, so I'm anticipating that #2 will be in our room for quite a while. Oh joy!

Also, DS sleeps through a lot of noise (thank you, daycare) so I'm hopeful a new baby won't be too disruptive. 
  • Options
    @lilsebastian, I think that's what we'll probably do, too.. DD took a long time to STTN. Guess I'll have to prepare myself to share a room for another year. We lived in a tiny 1 BR apt when our first was born, so I know we can do it, but I was just thinking how nice it has been to watch TV in bed again, haha. Oh well. 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Ovia is okay @jyoung327 but I'm not that impressed, tbh.  For example, I saw one of their emails that said something about, "use ovia to track your food groups!"  Wow!  Yeah, that sounds great!  For the day/week, check off the servings I'm getting in of dairy, protein, green veggies etc. Except... where is this feature?  Does it actually exist?  If so, I can't find it.  I have a more basic one called, "Pregnancy Week by Week," with a green logo and two little feet, and I think it's just as good.  So far I mostly just use the kegel trainer, but they also have a pretty extensive product guide, kick counter, and contraction timer for down the road etc.  I feel a bit weird about giving ovia all this personal information.  It wants to know where I work, all my appointments, and where I'm delivering...???  It's a little creepy!  :#  Imho

*complete ap name
  • Options
    @ropemaker Our plan moving forward is to incorporate our guest bed into our office space. My BIL uses their office as a guest bedroom and it works out beautifully for them. They have an inflatable guest bed (ick), but we're kinda thinking a twin daybed with a trundle that pops up to make them together the size of a king, and just move desk chairs away when bed is extended. Idk, just an idea. Or, we'll lose our guest bedroom, and if we have guests, kids will bunk together or sleep on the couch (once they're older). We are lucky though to have a true 4 bedroom house and to have communal living space on two different floors. Lots of options for us to adjust things.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414 we had my girls share a Room and it didn’t really work. If they both slept, it was totally fine, but my baby was a stinker with sleep and would cry so often that it would wake my older one up and then I’d have both girls up. I will say that we knew we were moving, so I was less tempted to work harder to make things work. We ended up giving the baby the room and my 4 year old slept in our room with us (Because she’s flexible and easy-going and the baby is...NOT).
    I think the success would depend on the temperament of your babes. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414 and @AdmiralKitty I had my boys share a room for a long time. They were extremely close. 16 months apart in age, but the best of brothers.
  • Options
    @Jyoung327 - I used Ovia for my first pregnancy and downloaded it again for this one. They have a few different options for comparing the size of baby to something, so you can pick the one you find most interesting. I also liked their info tidbits and data tracking.

If you want something more entertaining for baby sizes, check out babysizer.com. You can choose between facts, cravings, manly, and geeky and it will compare baby's size to things like a bucket of KFC chicken or a dragon egg from Game of Thrones.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    @lilsebastian - You could call now if you want. Regardless of when you were expecting your period, you have that positive test so if you want to call now, I don't see any reason not to.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    This is baby #2 and since we have a 3br house, s/he will get their own room at first. If it ends up being a 2nd boy, which for some unknown reason I seriously already feel like it is a boy, they will most likely share down the road since bedroom 3 is pretty small.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414, it is totally possible for them to share a room!  I have a 3.5 year old and a 15 month old.  We kept the baby in our bedroom until he was 9 months, and then moved him into his sister's room (her in a twin daybed, and him in a mini crib - it's a really small room).  She was just shy of 3 years old at the time.  They both (generally) sleep great!  We moved him and did sleep training at the same time, so for about 5 days we had our older child sleep in our room, so that he wouldn't wake her up when he was learning to sleep through the night.  It can be done!
  • Options
    I've been thinking about the 2 kids in 1 room situation, too. We have three bedrooms but one is downstairs, so not at all ideal, and the second one upstairs is tiny, so it'll be tough fitting a toddler bed and a crib in there. Also, DD will be 22 months at the time this LO is born and I'm wondering if she'll be ready to move out of her crib by then. I'm thinking LO will be in our room for the first few months, so that buys us some time, but we'll want to have the baby in the crib by the time DD is around 26 months. Don't want to force DD to move before she's ready, but really don't want to buy a second crib for just a few months. 

Any STMs+ who can give some insight on when your toddler transitioned out of the crib? 
  • Options
    @abundantlilacs - I've been thinking about the crib situation too. DS will be 2 when this one is born and I like the idea of him being contained by his crib as long as he's happy in it, but I don't really want to have to buy a second one. We used a bassinet / pack n' play for DS for the first 3-4 months so we have time to figure it out, but we'll have to figure this situation out too.

That's tough with the last bedroom on the first floor. Have you ever thought of making that your master and having the kids upstairs? Or is one of the upstairs rooms clearly the master bedroom?
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @abundantlilacs we transitioned DS to a toddler bed just before 2. He was fine on the crib still but I was tired of getting up to get him MOTN. Now he just walks across to our room. It was a bit of a process but went much better when we added a rail. I actually just took that off earlier this month and he's doing great. Besides finding his way to my bed just about every night.  :/

I am not a fan of kids being in the lower level alone. Just freaks me out. I'd rather have kids up and the master downstairs.
  • Options
    I'm in a similar situation as several of you with the bedrooms. DD is almost 5 but she never really uses her room. She did until she was 4 then she started wanting to sleep in the living room and it's worked well for her. We do have another bedroom but we have a small business out of our home and that takes that room up. So finding a good solution is going to be interesting. I know people make it work in much smaller spaces so I'm not going to let myself stress too much over it but I'm slightly struggling at the fact I won't get to set up a complete nursery this time. 
  • Options
    My sister left a queen size bed in the nursery, especially since the baby will be in their room for a while. It’s nice to have that bed when my mom spends the night (probably a lot at first, since it’s a bit of a drive between the 2). Our DD’s room is pretty tiny so we’re either going to have to move or add onto our house. Sadly there isn’t room for 2 cribs in there and no one will be a happy camper if baby is in our room for that long. DH and I took turns sleeping on the couch with DD in the RNP for the first 2.5 months so that at least one of us could get sleep (him).
  • Options
    Hey @DanyTargaryen we have thought about making the downstairs bedroom the master but it's pretty small. It's the guest room now and only fits a bed and a desk comfortably so we'd have to still store all of our clothes and everything upstairs. The master bedroom is pretty big and could work for two kids to share which we've considered doing. The other problem is there's no bathroom upstairs so when dd becomes potty trained she'll have to walk down the stairs at night to use the bathroom which is a little scary. Maybe it's time to move!

@prpl11butterfly   So glad to hear that it's not unheard of to have a two year old transition to a bed. 

@chelletn I keep saying the same thing about people making it work in smaller spaces. This house was built in the forties and I'm sure many families have been raised here over the years. And I have friends with kids in small condos so if they can make it work so can I!
  • Options
    Mandamay1414Mandamay1414 member
    edited January 2018
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one thinking about rooming logistics. @TheSchuylerSisters - I never thought about moving DD to our room for a bit during sleep training! She generally sleeps great now (knock on wood) and I feel like that small disruption to her routine wouldn't matter as much as establishing a routine for #2. 

ETA- I'm terrified to transition DD to a real bed. I just picture her getting into something I thought I had baby proofed in the middle of the night and causing trouble or injury.
  • Options
    @Jyoung327. @DanyTargaryen Ah!  I found where to do the nutrition logging!  (In Ovia)  Tap calendar at the bottom, then + to add an update, then the knife and fork.  Phew!  I havent tried it yet, but that's sort of what I was looking for, I just wish I could customize it slightly.  It doesn't distinguish green leafy from other veggies, or tomatoes/citrus from other fruits and veggies, but I guess it's something!
  • Options
    How soon after conception can one turn a pregnancy test?

I'm just wondering because I have a feeling my EDD is wrong and will it will shift back a few days once I get a dating ultrasound (my my cycles are longer at around 35 days), but also I already turned a test, which was so shocking to me. 

According to one due date calculator based on cycle length and LMP, my due date would likely shifts a full week, which means I'm only 3 weeks, not 4, but that seems too early to detect!

I wasn't temping or tracking so I don't have that information.  
  • Options
    @pourmeamocktail our office has a pull out couch that pulls into a full size. It works for guests just you can't open the door all the way. The bed we have in the guest room is from my college days (dirt cheap). I'm almost leaning towards getting a super comfy chair for the room and chucking the bed. I guess this is why you have 9 months! Lol.
  • Options
    @lilsebastian - I believe implantation generally occurs around 9-10 days, but earlier, like 7 DPO or so, is not impossible. So while it's less likely to get a positive test at 3 weeks, if implantation occurred on the early side, it could be possible.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @lilsebastian - I tested positive at 10DPO this time (I was charting so I'm sure of when I ovulated) - but it was a suuuuper faint positive. Last time I didn't even get a faint positive until 14DPO. I also have long cycles (36-50 days). If I were you, I'd guesstimate you ovulated no later than 10 days before your positive test, and then add 14 days before that for the "start" of your cycle. 
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• Options
    Is there still a huge concern over Zika? DH and I are taking a cruise in a few weeks. I'll be 8 wks. We're spending one day in Mexico (Cozumel). Just I think 9am - 6pm, so I will likely be back on the ship before the sun goes down. I'll def plan to bring bug spray. Anything else I can do to lower my risk? Is this something you all would be super concerned about?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    @dAsch14 you can look up a map on the CDC website and it will tell if there are travel recommendations for that area for pregnant women. I would look at that and talk to my doctor to see if it was something I was comfortable with if it were me. 
  • Options
    @dAsch14 Cozumel is in the "high risk" area. There are active infection cases. I would reconsider your trip... 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/world-map-areas-with-zika 

• Options
    @dAsch14. I was having the same concern over a trip to Miami in May. These lovely ladies pointed me to the CDC, which has lots of great info. I would def talk to your doc, too. Maybe you could stay indoors on the boat that day?
  • Options
    Bleeding AND cramping - normal?? I started bleeding today and have slight cramping. They checked my hcg today and will repeat Friday to make sure it's increasing. I'm super nervous. I bled around this time with my second pregnancy but there was no cramping and my doctor put me on progesterone right away. I have a new doc now :/ 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Jyoung327 I use the bump (obvi) and Nurture. Its been the only two that I've liked so far! 
    AF Wife/ Mama / Brewing Baby H / Photographer
  • Options
    Did anyone here have implantation bleeding? Did it feel like a normal period? Lighter? I remember my last period was on the lighter side, now Im wondering if it was implantation bleeding since I seem to be having so many symptoms so early and the bloat is unreal. 
    AF Wife/ Mama / Brewing Baby H / Photographer
  • Options
    @shouse11 I did have implantation bleeding, but it was like spotting for like 3-4 days. No way to confuse it with one of my periods. Mine are super heavy. This was like wearing a panty liner just in case, more a quarter sized smear of blood in a whole day.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker