Baby Showers
Options

Asking for gift certificates for cloth diapering

Hi everyone! I'm not quite at the time for a shower yet but I'm exploring my diaper options and I'm really interested in a cloth diaper service. What is the etiquette for asking for gift certificates to a specific diaper service? I will register somewhere for those that don't wish to gift that but I'd like to make it clear in a very polite way that we will not be using disposable diapers and how people can help with our diapering if they choose to. I would hate to receive a bunch of disposables at our shower and not use them. Thoughts?

TIA!

Re: Asking for gift certificates for cloth diapering

• Options
    There's really not a polite way to tell people how to spend their money.  

Is there a way you can register for cloth diaper supplies on your registry?  Or have someone spread the word that you plan to cloth diaper and if they ask what you need, then you can tell them.

• Options
    There's really not a polite way to tell people how to spend their money.  

Is there a way you can register for cloth diaper supplies on your registry?  Or have someone spread the word that you plan to cloth diaper and if they ask what you need, then you can tell them.
    ^Ditto. 

Also, showers are specifically for physical gifts. While you may get some money or gift cards, the whole point is to shower the person with physical gifts.

Fwiw, everyone knew I was going to cloth diaper, and I didn't get any disposables at my shower. A friend gave me some leftover newborn disposables she had that came in handy for the first few days of meconium and adjusting to a new baby without thinking about a wash routine as well as a trip we took when she wasn't 2.5 weeks old. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Even if you do receive disposables, you can return them to some places like target for store credit or use then occasionally while traveling. I agree with registering for cloth diapering supplies. People will get the hint or they won’t, but asking that people give you a specific gift card is tacky.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    You could always donate any unneeded disposal diapers you receive. If people hear you are cloth diapering they most likely won’t get you any.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    You can donate or return disposable diapers that you get but I'd seriously side-eye someone if they asked me to get them something specific. You should just spread the word that you'll be cloth diapering and hopefully someone will ask you about it, in which case you could bring it up.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker