May 2018 Moms

Due Date Check In (1/8): Second Week of May 5/6-5/12

How far along are you? When is your due date? What's the size of your LO?

What's going on this week? How are you feeling, any rants or raves? 

Any upcoming appointments?

GTKY:  (stealing from @ivyvines6) What are you looking forward to with this LO?  What are you nervous about?

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
Married June 2012
BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

Re: Due Date Check In (1/8): Second Week of May 5/6-5/12

• Loading the player...
  • @lincbeesmom I had my girls at 35+2, and I know everybody is different, but twins have a higher tendency to come early, so you may want to do just a little earlier if your mom can swing it.  Just a thought. 

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I’ll need her help anyway by the time im that far along haha 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sandbar517 I'm kind of the same way about when you first come home. I was talking to DH about that feeling and I'm like, when we first walk in the door where do we put her? Just set her down somewhere and go about our business? Lol
  • @kpc914 I am also really interested to hear how it goes with your doula! We are considering hiring one, and met with one we really liked last week. If we hire any, it will be her, but I keep wrestling with whether it's worth the money. I can think of a lot of other things I could spend $1300 on. But on the other hand I am super nervous about giving birth so making that more manageable could be worth it. I actually might ask about it in the weekly questions thread but would love your perspective!  

@silverhope my SIL when we saw her over the holidays said that after her birth she had really wished she had a doula, and she did get an epidural. Although I think she had gone in not being sure if she'd get one, so it's a bit of a different situation.

@sandbar517 @charlestonchew man I keep wondering about the same thing! I really am kind of clueless about taking care of a baby. I hear people say how busy they are for those first few months, and obviously I believe them but I have to be honest that I have a hard time imagining what exactly I'll be DOING all that time.

@babys_2018 I don't really have any local mommy friends, which I think doesn't help with the anxiety, because I never really get to see what the day to day of being a mom is like for someone who feels like a peer. And it's not helped by the fact that my happily child free friends locally love to go on about what a hassle kids would be. I do have a friend who lives in another province that I keep trying to have a phone date with, but of course her being a mom means it's hard to find the time! I really hope I'll find some good mommy friends locally because it seems pretty essential.

• For the first few weeks of the girls being home, MH and I seriously stayed in bed until 2:00 pm.  We would go to bed around 11-12, but being up every two-three hours with diaper changes, breastfeeding, supplementing with formula after that, burping, getting them back to sleep, etc. we just didn't have any desire or reason to get out of bed before then.  And then at least, we would feel *mostly* rested.  After you "wake up" for the day, we would usually take turns taking showers, and then you mostly try to go about some sort of normal eating/cleaning/watching tv/relaxing routine while working around the baby's (babies') schedule.  And then you get a new schedule when your partner goes back to work, and then you just kinda make this new hybrid schedule that eventually starts to stretch a little longer and longer as baby sleeps longer periods at night.  How I'll fit two 4 year olds into that, I have no idea, but I guess I'll figure it out-just like I did the first time around when it was just me and them. 
    One other thing I remember talking to my mom about is that as soon as I felt like we got used to one schedule, they were growing and sleeping more, and we would get a whole new eating/sleeping schedule.  It's just constant change the first six months-a year, and for me at least, I was just on auto-pilot for most of it.  I did what I had to, when I had to, to survive.  And then suddenly you find yourself with these two little toddlers and it's like, "When did this happen???" LOL  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @babys_2018 Mine isn't a sharp pain, it's more dull, like a muscle ache and it's specific to my butt muscle area. I know sciatica can go up and down the legs, so that's why I call mine minor. Not sure about the differences between sharp and dull...I haven't actually talked to the doc about this yet, so it could be something different. It started after my last appointment. For stretching, I started doing a 2-minute childs pose, a quick figure-4 stretch, and a simple bend/stretch. There were a lot more online, so you should take a look!

Also, re: that magical moment when you see your baby, I didn't really feel it was so magical the first time around. I was exhausted and I had no idea what to do with her. I felt like I loved her because she was mine and I kind of had to, but I didn't realize the depths of my love for her until later. Maybe even past the newborn stage? She wasn't a great newborn. :p I can't remember exactly when I started staring at her in awe.

All of you are bumming me out about phone sizes! Man, this stinks. I'll try and hold onto my 5s for a while longer then...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @thunderberry I'm really hoping to make local mommy friends too. I've heard of this app called Peanut for meeting other mommies and I'm planning to try to go to local baby activities to meet other moms. I hope we find 'em! And nice ones  :)

@babys_2018 going last week of February. We booked our train tickets so now just have to figure out everything in between ha. And also I feel you on the PPD anxiety. I know there is nothing I can really do prepare for or prevent that, except be aware that it could happen and I should get help ASAP if things don't feel right. 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @SaVy_05 thanks! Pretty sure I’m going to have her come out when I’m 34 Weeks! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @k5678 glad you are better after the flu! I hope your LOs don't catch it from anyone. I keep checking the CDC website to see if it's widespread around me. I am honestly thinking about wearing a face mask when I go into NYC next weekend. 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @thunderberry i know you have a lot going on right now, but maybe figuring out the shower date and putting it on the calendar will help you since you will have something positive to look forward to?

@kpc914 not going to lie, going back to public was difficult after maternity leave.  Although, i felt like I was kind of refreshed too and once I got back into the groove of using my brain again, I felt like I was better at my job than when I left.  How long do you get for maternity leave?

How far along are you? When is your due date? What's the size of your LO?
    22w4d  DD- 5/12
    What's going on this week? How are you feeling, any rants or raves? 
    Heartburn has surfaced.  I need to get some more TUMs.
    Any upcoming appointments?
    glucose test and apt on 1/22
    GTKY:  What are you looking forward to with this LO?  What are you nervous about?
    I'm looking forward to maternity leave, snuggling a baby, and seeing my son love and learn to care for his sister.  I am nervous about the teenage years too @charlestonchew.  i did not feel this way about my son!  I'm also nervous for my RCS.  My first section was not a great experience.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kpc914kpc914 member
    edited January 2018
    @heelsidehero That's reassuring! I think I get 4 week before my due date, and five months after baby is born or due date (whatever is greater). But, I'm not 100% sure. I think I will be going back to work mid Oct or mid Nov...which is great because it will be a slow time for us. Then in December my plan is to take 3 weeks off around xmas before coming back for busy season. Luckily my group is super flexible about working from home and all of that. So I think I can manage...but, there's no way I would last if I was still working on corporations and audits. 
  • @heelsidehero that's what I'd like to do, but my mom obviously really wants to be there, and she won't know for sure when they have to go to Boston for the 5 weeks until my Dad has his next CT scan at the end of this month. She's willing to fly back for a weekend, but we're worried if we do it in winter there's a chance the flight wouldn't make it. It's all much more complicated than I hoped!
  • @kpc914 that's crazy that they won't even discuss leave with you yet.  Great that you get 4 weeks before the due date too.  I worked up until the Friday before birth last time and plan to this time as well (c-section is scheduled for a Monday).  Then I get 6 mo off also (would be less time if I took time before the due date).  I agree, no one would go back if it was the standard 12 week FMLA.  That's great you get 4 mo paid though!  Our leave is 6 weeks full pay, 2 weeks at half due to c-section, then all the PTO I have accumulated (we can carryover 240 hours each FYE).  Either way, it's totally worth it and it's much more manageable when the babies are 6 mo vs 3.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @thunderberry I'm so sorry this is a stressful situation for you when it should be joyful.  I hope things work themselves out.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @heelsidehero apparently the 4 weeks before your due date is a CA thing. HR told me that it is separate than the time after baby is born, so delaying my mat leave wont make it any longer after baby comes. So im definiteky using the full 4 weeks! Lol. Thats awesome you get to carry over 240 pto hours. We max out at 176. Im basically perpetually maxed out most of the year sadly. We have unlimited sick time so i have taken full advantage of that for dr appts and all of the times i barely worked a few hours a day due to nausea. Im glad we both get to go back to work during slow season so we can prep for another busy season!
  • @kpc914 - that 4 weeks before baby idea is awesome and great that it's separate!  Our sick time is not separate from PTO.  Awesome that you get unlimited sick time.  I usually have a lot of PTO stocked up since it's so difficult to even use it!  Just means I have to work the same amount but in less amount of days.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @heelsidehero life of an accountant
     Lots of PTO, cant use it.