June 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Appointments [1/8/18]

Whatcha got going this week?  any more Anatomy Scans?? 
Me: 28 | Husband: 39
Married March 2016
DD: born 7.22.16
DS EDD: 6.23.18
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weekly Appointments [1/8/18]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have to go see my regular doctor tomorrow for refill on my medication. Seriously. I thought your OB became your primary when you're pregnant. It's a heart pill that I have been on for a long time, my OB made me get cleared by THEIR cardio guy who said it was all good, and now I have to go see my regular guy who originally prescribed it. 

Maybe this is normal but another copay when I'm already at a doctor once or twice a month anyways? Rawr. People are so dang sick right now that I have zero desire to sit in a waiting room. 
  • Options
    I have a regular appointment today. The front desk staff told me j could ask for a “courtesy ultrasound” so I’m going to. My regular ob is out so I’m seeing another one. 

I still dont don’t feel like I’ve found my provider...what questions did people ask to feel confident their ob is their person?? 
  • Options
    @helenbz I just chose someone close to me. I've heard that it's more important to trust the practice/hospital than your individual provider because it's so rare that your actual provider will be the one to deliver you unless you have a planned c-section or something. I'm not super thrilled with mine -- the front desk staff is useless -- but my OB has literally run every single test I've asked without any pushback at all, so, I can't really complain, right? My friend who is a neurology resident said her best advice for picking an OB would be to pick someone not too young, not too old, who works at a research hospital. She said that's the most likely way to find a doctor that will be very up to date on the latest research, not too set in their ways, but not too nervous/skittish. My OB is like 32, so I clearly didn't follow her advice lol. But oh well. I've still got two weeks before I'm kicked off the waitlist for the in-hospital birth center, so fingers crossed! lol
  • Options

amys614  - 614- do you live in Columbus??  Also- I've heard of ppl with newborns/preg asking to sit in a sep area instead of the general waiting room full of sick people.  May be worth asking.

My A/S is Thursday- yay!

• Options
    @helenbz mine is the same OB I've had since I've lived here, almost 7 years. Not every OB delivers babies (the office next door doesn't. and Houston has a huge medical center there are OBs that just see cancer - cervical/ breast/ etc- patients here). She was really close to my old apartment, but right next to the hospital. She does all the surgery for the entire practice (again something not all OBs do, and not with frequency to be really skilled). I trust her. I had a lump removed from my breast in 2012, she did the surgery, I don't even have a scar, the next morning I was pain free. She has birthing privileges at the hospital I wanted. And most importantly she keeps it REAL. She's never made me feel like she was keeping something from me. When I was bleeding weeks 4-8 she never took it lightly she never made feel like its no big deal. I came in every week and always got to see her.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Options
    @ffw0617 just to clarify, obstetricians by definition deliver babies and care for women during pregnancy. Gynecologists handle women's reproductive health. Many are both, and most obstetricians especially are also gynecologists (hence the term OB-GYN), but not all gynecologists are obstetricians. 
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 yes I know.  In the cases I mentioned, the practice next door to my OB's office use to deliver babies. The two senior doctors decided they wanted a better work life balance so they stopped delivering, causing them to lose many patients, many of which now see the doctors in my doctor's practice group. My cousin is the resident coordinator for MD Anderson almost all the OBs that work there only work with cancer patients and no longer deliver babies, but all did at some point. My point was I picked a doctor whose long term plan is to deliver babies so I wouldn't have to switch later.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 I have my AS on Thursday too!  It's been scheduled for a month and it feels like it has taken forever to get here

Me: 32 | DH: 36

Married June 2005

1/2016 - TTC#1

4/2017 - Initial RE visit, Dx: Severe MFI (Varicocele, 14% motility, 3% progression, but normal count)

7/2017 - Stage 3 endometriosis discovered during laparoscopic removal of ovarian cyst

9/27/2017 - BFP at 10dpo (cycle 22), baby boy due June 9, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ffw0617 @doxiemoxie212 my favorite OB from my practice decided between my last pregnancy and this one that she didn’t enjoy the OB side of things and left to join a gynecologist practice only. I was so bummed because I tried to follow her only to discover it was a no babies office. I miss her so much. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have my monthly appt on Thursday. I'm assuming we'll schedule my AS since I'll be 17 weeks.

I don't have an OB. My clinic is a family practice, so my PCP is my OB. 
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 nope, I live in Chicago. My due date is June 14th. Had no idea what I was doing when I first signed up. Haha Thanks for the suggestion at doctors office. Hope your AS goes well! So exciting!
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 - I saw that 614 and was wondering the same.  I used to be in the 614 area code as a kid.  But Southern Ohio is now 740.  Looks like we're not too far apart.  :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Options
    @mytinc - nope!  740 isn't far from me at all..maybe 30 mins or so?.  I grew up in the 513 but live, barely, in the 614 now
  • Options
    @Austenista - I had pre-e with both of my boys and my OB hasn't suggested anything to prevent it from happening again. I may have to do some research.  I'm already figuring I'll be induced again for it.  My blood pressure was actually a bit elevated at my last appointment, which is weird for me (especially this early).  

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
  • Options
    @mytinc have you heard that pre-e might be caused by the fetal DNA? I read that today, somewhat in relation to the Serena Williams story. I did some googling but it seems like it's just one of the factors they're still looking into? But apparently there have been a lot of cases of surrogates randomly coming down with pre-e when carrying for couples with a history of pre-e. Now I'm all like, I wonder if Kim Kardashian's surrogate has pre-e?? lol 

(I swear I don't care that much about celeb gossip. DH sent me the info about Serena Williams because it was an article in relation to how many black women struggle with blood clots and child birth can be more dangerous for them because of it, but many hospitals are not trained to recognize the signs/many OBs don't know to run extra genetic tests for pregnant black women, etc.)
  • Options
    @mytinc let me see if I can find the article I read about it yesterday. It was a coincidence that my doctor brought the research up with my appointment after I had read that. They’re pretty on top of me about it this time since it happened last time. Currently on a blood pressure med three times a day, was taking one baby aspirin now two, and they did some kind of blood and urine screen about it yesterday. Last time I was taking one baby aspirin because my mother had it with me, but I definitely had it anyway. I was induced at 37 weeks. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @RatParade I'm so glad your appt went well!  And that baby yoga ultrasound is amaze-balls 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 - I had not heard that before, but since delivery is the "cure" that would explain some things.  I'll have to look into it.  @Austenista - I was surprised when my doctor just said "we'll keep an eye on it" when my BP was 140/80 at my last appointment.  I've always had great blood pressure up until the very end of pregnancy when I end up induced for pre-e (@38 weeks with DS1 and @37w, 3 days with DS2).  I've never had an elevated reading outside of that.  Maybe that's why she just wants to keep an eye on it for now?  She didn't suggest anything else.

First Son - born 2013
  • Options
    @mytinc okay I can’t find the specific one I was reading but this one explains it well enough. 

https://www.mdedge.com/obgynnews/article/141943/obstetrics/daily-150-mg-aspirin-dose-slashes-preterm-preeclampsia-risk

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sunshineandwhiskey thank you!  I am also impressed.  I asked the tech if those were long legs and she didn't seem to think so.  After the ultrasound the tech said she'd send the pics to the radiologist who would send a report to my doctor who would contact me.  I didn't realize that was how it worked there, so I had a good freak out that something was wrong.  But my doctor emailed me within the hour that things looked normal so now I'm eating Swedish fish and getting nothing done at work.

Me: 32 | DH: 36

Married June 2005

1/2016 - TTC#1

4/2017 - Initial RE visit, Dx: Severe MFI (Varicocele, 14% motility, 3% progression, but normal count)

7/2017 - Stage 3 endometriosis discovered during laparoscopic removal of ovarian cyst

9/27/2017 - BFP at 10dpo (cycle 22), baby boy due June 9, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mytinc last pregnancy mine was more 120/80’s until it wasn’t and then it really wasn’t. The only way I could keep mine low was to lay down. So I spent a bit on bed rest trying to get me to 37w.  This time it was already in the 130/high 80’s and they went ahead and gave me blood pressure medication hoping it would lessen my chances of pre-e this time. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Austenista Yeah, both of my previous pregnancies I was in the 120s / 75 until it spiked near the end to 150s / 90s.  :(

First Son - born 2013
  • Options
    So the BP talk has me worried. At my last appointment my BP was 137/72 I know nothing about BP but they did say it was high and the NP spent a bit of time on it and asking me about why it could be high. The only conclusion we came to is that is could be because we were running late and took the stairs up to the third floor. I'm assuming they are going to be watching it closely now. I think before my next appointment I will be sure to arrive on time and calm and take the elevator to see if it was circumstantial or a pattern. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @krashke I would recommend getting a bp monitor for home. Check it when you’re completely relaxed. If it’s normal then it’s normal. When you’re totally relaxed and it’s up, that’s when it’s abnormal. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @krashke - I think the bottom number is the more worrisome if I remember correctly.  Since your bottom number is in the 70s I think it could be a fluke.  But then, I'm just someone on the internet, don't listen to me, listen to a doctor.

First Son - born 2013
  • Options
    @Austenista @mytinc thanks for the advice! I think I will get an at home monitor. Off to Amazon!
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    Baby's HR is 156! Quick normal appointment today. OB will call in a week if quad screen comes back abnormal. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020