TTC After a Loss

First period

How long after a miscarriage was it before you got your first period again? I miscarried and passed everything naturally on Dec 5th and wondering when I may get my period again. 

Re: First period

• I'm sorry for your loss. My AF started close to 5 weeks after my NMC. It was close to the time AF would have started in a normal month, but I don't know if that was a coincidence or actual science. 
  • I had a D&C on 12/12 and haven't had a period yet.  My doctor told me it would likely be 4-6 weeks.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m in same boat as @coco2787.  I had d & c on 12/12 too and am still waiting for AF.  My last d & c period came back at 3 weeks but I’m pretty sure I ovulated this past Thursday so I don’t expect AF now for 2 weeks 
  • My first AF didn't show for 6 weeks. I think it's one of those things that you just have to wait it out. My Dr had told me it can take awhile for your cycle to return to normal.  Also I'm very sorry for your loss. 
  • For sure my cycle has been crazy with each loss.  Once it arrives chances are it will not be like your normal AF that you had before loss
  • Unfortunately, the only normal after MC is that there is no normal. You could expect your first AF anywhere from 4 weeks to several months after your MC.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• I’m so sorry for your loss. I had a NMC at 8 weeks along back on 11/17 and just got my first post loss AF last Friday (exactly 7 weeks later). 
  • I am waiting as well. I had a NMC 12/15. I am just hoping that AF comes this month. 
    Me: 30 DH: 35
    Married 12/2014
    TTC#1: 4/2017

• Mine showed up today at 29 days post D&C.  As of yesterday I still had some HCG in my system so apparently your levels don't need to be a 0 for AF to happen.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Mine was 40 days after D&C but I have longer cycles on any given month.  That cyclen and the next were about five days longer than I’d expect; this last ovulation moved itself up a bit. We’ll see if it stays that way.  All of the waiting is the hardest part!
  • New here. ...just had my first AF Monday since NMC 5 weeks ago.
    Sorry for your loss. :(
  • Just got my period a little longer than 5 weeks after a NMC.  Bittersweet that things are back to "normal".  
  • I got my first period exactly 4 weeks after my miscarriage started, but it was only 2 weeks after the last of the tissue had passed. I wasn't sure if it was a period or not because I assumed that the 4 weeks would be from the end of the miscarriage. But my cycle seems to be back to normal. 
  • I am still waiting for AF. It's been 33 days. I am wanting her to come like, yesterday. I am so ready to start trying again. 
    Married 12/2014

• @MicahDahn I’m still waiting too. 36 days
  • @Mack2342 My doctor really didn't say anything about time. I don't know if there is a "normal" time or not. I feel a little uninformed or lost.
    Married 12/2014

• @MicahDahn with my first dr told me anywhere from 4-6 weeks after d & c.  It took about 6 weeks with first.  With the 2nd it arrived after 3 weeks.  I don’t think there is a real time frame but I think the 4-6 weeks is a good rule. Who knows, you could O and get KU before it comes back.   
  • @Mack2342 My doctor did tell me to wait for one cycle before trying. I am getting impatient. Starting to consider not waiting. I go back and forth. 
    Married 12/2014

• @MicahDahn I was told that with the first two and I listened.  This time around RE didn’t say to wait and I didn’t ask either.  I started taking OPKs almost immediately after I stopped bleeding and I Od two weeks ago.  We did BD 3 times around O as I said what the hell but I started spotting last night and full flow this morning.   You could call DR and ask if there is a medical reason to wait for cycle to return or if it’s just for dating purposes. If Just for dating purposes then you can decide what you want to do.  
  • @Mack2342 That is true! I don't have a single sign of AF coming anytime soon. I may give them a call.
    Married 12/2014

• I had a D&C on December 6, and didn’t get my period until January 7. If I counted the D&C as CD1, I had a 32 day cycle (longer than my usual). 

For reference that was my first D&C for my first pregnancy. Blighted ovum, I’m 33 and have normal periods. After the procedure I took HPTs to watch my hCG levels drop because I’m a data junkie. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • samwichessamwiches member
    edited January 2018
    @mamaabc Wow we have the exact same d&c date. I bled and/or spotted constantly for 8 weeks after.
  • If you’re looking for another data point, AF arrived 32 days after the first day of my NMC (also a MMC). I really thought it would take longer.

We were going to TTC immediately but I did a scan to confirm the MC was complete and learned that I had the tiniest amount of retained parts. AF definitely contains brown bits, which it never does on the first day. Glad we waited. Looking forward to trying again. 
  • kikimi83kikimi83 member
    edited February 2018
    I was also 32 days after I first started bleeding. 28 days if you count from when I actually passed the amniotic sac. My hCG was still at 45 a few days before it started. Very bittersweet. I actually found it very hard to go to the bathroom. Every time reminded me of those first couple of days I started bleeding. It was pretty heavy for a couple days but tapered off quickly. Hopefully I'm back on track and will O around my regular time. GL... Hope you will be back to yourself soon. 
  • I have an appointment set up but the doctor wouldn't see me until I had missed three months. So I am still waiting, until March. 
    Married 12/2014

• I had a D & E at 16 weeks and 1 day to a full tisomy 13 diagnosis, he had a serious heart defect as well we were told they didnt think he would make it until 30 weeks and if he by chance made it to birth would have serious defects and would pass away shortly after. So we decided to terminate. When did your period return after? Also how long did it take to get pregnant again. We were told to wait for one normal period before ttc so thats what we are planning on.