Non medicated delivery? Scared! — The Bump
3rd Trimester

Non medicated delivery? Scared!

Hello, I wanted to hear about mom's experiences on having a birth without the epidural (and even with) and if they would do it again. I've had two, my first was with an epidural and it was fine except the recovery once it wore off was rough, also it dropped baby's heart rate very low during labour. With baby 2 we had a surprise home birth with no medication, the 5 minutes leading up to pushing him out was when contractions got very intense, then the first push was where I felt the worst pain of my life, like I was being torn apart (I didn't realize till after I pushed how far into labour I was, I thought I had to poop before we left for the hospital). Thankfully I only had one more push and he was out, which wasn't nearly as painful, the stitching was awful since the numbing cream didn't work that well, but otherwise postpartum I felt 100x better and recovery was so much easier. Now pregnant with #3 and while I would love to have a non medicated birth to lessen risk to baby and help make recovery easier, I am SO afraid! Input please!

Re: Non medicated delivery? Scared!

• I gave birth in a free-standing birth center, which necessitates med-free. I had a large baby - 8 pounds, 12 ounces - and a second-degree tear (two or three stitches, I don't remember). All future children (we plan to have at least two more), as long as I remain low risk, will be born at the same birth center. 

It was very painful, of course, although some women, like my mom, didn't think it was that bad. 

I would describe my whole recovery as pretty easy. When I was stitched, I had a spray anesthesia followed by injected anesthesia in that area, just like what happens at the dentist. I felt tugging but no pain on one of the stitches, but I didn't feel anything else. Did no one ask you if the process of stitching was hurting you? My midwives, before they started, told me to tell them if the stitching was painful, and they would give me more. 

My crotch wasn't that painful. It got worse on the fourth day, and I used Earth Mama Angle Baby bottom tea, and that basically wiped away the pain. 
  • first of all thank you for calling it an unmedicated birth instead of a"natural"
    one :) While I was unable to have a vaginal birth due to needing an emergency c section my best friend has had 2 non medicated births due to fast moving labor.  She highly reccomended finding some sort if meditation or relaxation practices to work on and use as it reallg helped her particularly focusing on music. she also would remjnd herself it is more pressure than it is pain and she said mentally that really helped her tolerate and maintain focus. She made "padsickles" using witch hazel and soaking and freezing the pads. I know several people who have used that and said it gives a lot of relief.

Also Earth Mama Baby Angel: New momma bottom spray is amazing! all natural ingrediants and does help give a lot of relief as well while recovering. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • mjojola said:
    Hello, I wanted to hear about mom's experiences on having a birth without the epidural (and even with) and if they would do it again. I've had two, my first was with an epidural and it was fine except the recovery once it wore off was rough, also it dropped baby's heart rate very low during labour. With baby 2 we had a surprise home birth with no medication, the 5 minutes leading up to pushing him out was when contractions got very intense, then the first push was where I felt the worst pain of my life, like I was being torn apart (I didn't realize till after I pushed how far into labour I was, I thought I had to poop before we left for the hospital). Thankfully I only had one more push and he was out, which wasn't nearly as painful, the stitching was awful since the numbing cream didn't work that well, but otherwise postpartum I felt 100x better and recovery was so much easier. Now pregnant with #3 and while I would love to have a non medicated birth to lessen risk to baby and help make recovery easier, I am SO afraid! Input please!
    QFP
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I had a med free birth with my son. My plan is to do it again. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • mjojola said:
    I'm just sort of confused because you've experienced giving birth both ways so I don't get what you're looking for?
     I guarantee there are women who've had amazing experiences both with and without an epi and women who've hated giving birth both with and without....
    I personally had an epidural but I wouldn't do it again. I believe it stalled my labour and it had mostly worn off by the end. But my birth experience has literally zero impact on yours. Maybe you could talk to someone at the facility where you plan to give birth because they could likely walk you through the process of having an unmedicated birth there. 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
    izza2Dumbgurl04jessielynn1lotsofsunshine