May 2018 Moms

Maternal Serum Screening

I was sent for a maternal serum screening this morning, following my anatomy scan.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I don't see my OB until Monday.  

Re: Maternal Serum Screening

• 1) Hi who are you? 

2) https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Maternal+serum+screening

3) What I found from a very quick google search is that it’s also known as a triple or quad screen (depends on which on le your doctor did). 

4) if you would have clicked around on our well established forum, you’d see that YES a lot of us have had this type of screening done. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was sent for a maternal serum screening this morning, following my anatomy scan.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I don't see my OB until Monday.  
    Just in case. 
  • Yes, I know many people have this screening.  I just thought it was weird that the ultrasound tech sent me, instead of the doctor.  I'm unsure of which test was done.  The paperwork stated maternal serum.  
  • @lincbeesmom answered the question about what a maternal serum is for you which was very nice since we are not google. As far as your doctor's office practices, we cannot answer that.
  • Yes, I know many people have this screening.  I just thought it was weird that the ultrasound tech sent me, instead of the doctor.  I'm unsure of which test was done.  The paperwork stated maternal serum.  
    Yeah I guess that is kind of weird. Call your doctor. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi! My guess is that your OB ordered the serum test on the referral form they sent to the sonographer. That's what happened in my case--there was just a little box checked on the form next to the order for the anatomy scan. It's a standard test that is usually done at this point in pregnancy--in my case they just tested for a hormone that can indicate the presence of neural tube defects including spina bifida, because they had already done the rest of the quad screen earlier. I totally understand why you would ask about this on a forum--these confusing OB/ultrasound relationships are not easily Googled!
  • cups4cups4 member
    edited January 2018
    Probably should ask the doctor instead of Google...or us.