September 2018 Moms
Options

5 Week Ultrasound - showed nothing

Hey ladies,

I got my positive pregnancy test last Thursday, and am excited (but surprised!) to be expecting our third baby in September. My last monthly period was approximately November 29th, cycle is usually 23 days. This should put me at 5 weeks or more, no? How don’t I know this being it is my third pregnancy?!?

The tech couldn’t find anything with an exterior ultrasound. I can’t help but feel discouraged. I also went for urine and blood tests. The tech said I had a retroverse uterus? That it must have flipped after giving birth to my 2nd.   Anyone have any advice they can give me... or any experiences like mine?    Hoping to get blood tests back by tomorrow so I don’t have to wait the whole weekend...

Re: 5 Week Ultrasound - showed nothing

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    musicalmommy3musicalmommy3 member
    edited January 2018
    @lalala2004 Thanks for the reply. They didn’t use the transvaginal equipment. I know it’s early, I almost wished they’d have waited a couple of weeks. Just trying to stay calm and wait for blood work. I didn’t have a tilted uterus with my first two, so didn’t know it would affect the u/s. Thanks for your reply!
  • Options
    musicalmommy3musicalmommy3 member
    edited January 2018
    @starla  Thank you for your sweet reply. I’m hoping the blood work comes back okay and then I can just wait until 8 wks or so... you think the 3rd time around I would relax and just let things be!
  • Options
    I got a sneek peek today and I’m only 5+4. US Techs don’t even want to scan you any earlier than 6 weeks at the most. Even then they don’t want to use anything other than a Transvaginal probe. 

Today my scan showed just a gestational sac. So there isn’t even anything to see yet. Don’t stress over it 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1: 11/15/2010 * Missed M/C 12/28 * D&C 12/29/2010
    BFP#2: 3/31/2011 * IT'S A GIRL! * Born 11/17/2011
    BFP#3 CP 11/15/2014 
    BFP#4 9/3/2015 * Team Green turned PINK * Born 05/16/2016
    BFP#5 12/26/2017 *SURPRISE* Due 09/02/2018
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply @megnwingate
    Hopefully my blood results give me some encouragement.

• Options
    I didn't think you could see anything that early with an exterior scan.  Last time around I got a transvaginal scan when I was 8 weeks. I wouldn't worry at all yet (I realize that's basically impossible)
  • Options
    I had multiple transvaginal scans--I feel like it was at least 10 weeks before they did it exterior! I remember the first exterior one and I was like, really?! This is awesome!!

TW: I have a history of miscarriages, but my last pregnancy resulted in my daughter. They wouldn't even do a scan until 7 weeks on me then, and again this time, because 7-8 weeks is apparently the earliest you can reliably tell what's going on in there. 
  • Options
    My last pregnancy that was a loss I had 5 early scans within 3 weeks, the first ones they started abdominally to check placement, then used transvaginal to "zoom in" on what was in there. It sucks they didn't have that equipment to give more peace of mind for you. 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    I just had an exterior and transvagional. I am 6 weeks 3 days. The Dr. could just baarely see a gestational sack with the exterior, and the transvagional just showed a little blob, not even a peanut yet. So at 5 weeks I can imagine there really isn't much to see.
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just had a transvaginal at 5 weeks, 5 days, and all they could see was the gestational sac, no yolk sac. Lmp was december 1, so i would've thought it would be visible, but I'm pretty sure i O'd a few days late so trying not to freak out. But, like others have said, it's super early and I bet when I go back in 2 weeks, there will be yolk, a pole, and a hb. The tech didn't seem too alarmed. But, with an abdominal scan, I doubt very much I'd have seen a gosh darn thing this soon.
  • Options
    I am 5 weeks 2 days and just had mine today and with the external all they could see was the gestational sac and then internally they could see the gestational sac and just barely saw the yolk sac. Early ultrasounds are really tricky and often times they cannot see much especially with external ones. I would not worry too much although I know it is hard!

They told me they won't have me back for a few weeks because there will be nothing to see still. They wouldn't even give me pictures because she said we wouldn't be able to tell anything. 

• Options
    Thank you so much ladies for your responses. 
  • Options
    I have an US next week at 5+5 (based off confirmed O date)I know it’s common to not see very much so I guess I’m wondering why the ultrasound is done so early? I’m with an RE and have never had an US before 7 weeks and heartbeat was always present then. Part of my anxious self would like to push it out a week unless there is a compelling reason to do so early?? It seems it could me unnecessary anxiety and my PGAL brain doesn’t need that. 
  • Options
    @mamagain520 - When scheduling, did they ask you for your LMP? If so, did that give you an earlier EDD? You can definitely ask to push it out a week or two if you want to. When I scheduled my appointment they had availability next Friday (when I would be 5+2) but I told them that I wanted to wait a little longer, and scheduled it for 7+2 instead.
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• Options
    edited January 2018
    At this stage, they will be checking to see a gestational sac, and the yolk Sac. They're also checking for placement in case of an ectopic.. I have three scans at my re. One at  5 + 2, like you. Then another at 6 + 5 to hear the heartbeat. Then my last appointment is 8 + 1 when I will graduate!  Hope this helps!!

@mamagain520

Talk to text issues
  • Options
    @mamagain520 My RE does an ultrasound between 6+3 and 7+3 because you are likely to see a heartbeat by then. They only do one earlier if there is a concern. If I were in your position I would ask to push it back (unless my RE had a compelling reason to do it that early) because I know it would drive my anxiety nuts if they couldn’t see much. If you do keep it, just remind yourself going in that it’s too early to see much so you aren’t too disappointed and worried. Good luck!! 
  • Options
    @yagapants247 they know my LMP but I ovulated on CD 16 and they go off that date due to it being more accurate. I did a medicated cycle (Clomid) so maybe that’s why?? I will definitely ask for sure. 

@BusinessWife It just seems crazy early to me! I just mentioned I did a medicated cycle so maybe that’s why. Fun fact...I have a 21 year old and had 0 ultrasounds!! How times have changed!! 

@do114 I think I’m going to! Even if it was 5+6 there’s still a chance of seeing more on the ultrasound. I’m going to try to stay ‘chill’ but GOOD GRIEF that’s a challenge!!
  • Options
    Good luck today @musicalmommy3
  • Options
    Sending you lots of good vibes @musicalmommy3
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• Options
    @musicalmommy3 that is wonderful!!! I’m so glad to hear a good update! 
  • Options
    @musicalmommy3. Yay!  So happy to hear!!!
  • Options
    @musicalmommy3 HOORAY!!!!! Flickering heartbeat is so cool! Great news. :)
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @musicalmommy3 Such great news!!! I’m so happy for you 
  • Options
    That's wonderful @musicalmommy3!! I'm glad your follow-up went well!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    Thanks so much!!! This is my 3rd little one, and it’s crazy how ovulating late can make a big difference. Didn’t realize how early I was when I found out I was pregnant. 

You ladies are wonderful. Hugs! 
  • Options
  • Options
    Yay for a good appt. @musicalmommy3!
  • Options
    I wish all of you ladies luck at your ultrasounds and appointments! Xox
  • Options
    Awesome news!!! Yay! 
  • Options
    Doc called back and said I have a large SCH and the heart rate  was only 93 at 5 weeks 6 days which he said is very low. 

Hoping the SCH heals... had this with my daughter.