June 2018 Moms

PSA Avoid romaine lettuce

Consumer Reports is recommending avoiding romaine lettuce due to a multi-state outbreak. CDC is investigating but has stopped short of issuing a formal statement to avoid. My friend in the CA food industry says a big recall is coming soon. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/avoid-romaine-lettuce-for-now/

Started a new discussion because I didn’t want it to get lost in the mid-week shuffle but let me know if these kind of things go somewhere else.

Stay healthy and safe ladies!

Re: PSA Avoid romaine lettuce

• Thank you so much for the warning!

I actually follow this couple on Instagram who's 3 year old son has been basically on the brink of death due to HUS, a complication from the 157 strain of ecoli. He was in ICU when his sister also came down with it. My heart was just breaking for these parents because it was looking really bad for the little boy. He is doing much better as of yesterday, but needless to say this whole ecoli strain has been on my brain since seeing these 2 kids. 

Thanks again for the heads up! 
  • @amys614 is it the Taylor family? I’ve been following it too!! So awful but I’m thankful he’s doing better! 

Thank you for posting this! I also saw a recall on frozen Aunt Jamina waffles, pancakes, and French toast too! 
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • edited January 2018
    @amys614 that’s so scary. @PatientlyWaiting10 maybe this can be a general food recall thread.

Edit: I see there have been some past discussions with food recalls and they are single thread so assuming this kind of periodic PSA is okay. Admittedly I was super rushed to get out the door.
  • edited January 2018
    I just googled to see if I could find the article and it looks like it was from May 17...I always look at the date when I look at those articles and I am almost positive it was current but maybe not... 

ETA: this is referring to my Aunt Jemima recall I referenced a little while ago, not the current romaine lettuce recall!! Sorry for the confusion!!  @mytinc

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

• @PatientlyWaiting10 you're definitely not losing it! I heard about the aunt jemima recall recently (maybe 2 weeks ago)too but there aren't any current news articles about it.... Weird!
  • @PatientlyWaiting10 - If you click on the link in the original post it shows a date of January 2, 2018.  I'm not sure where you saw May 2017.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Crap. I've been enjoying romaine salad these past couple of weeks. :s Ugh...thanks for posting, though. I had no idea.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen ditto. Romaine lettuce is like a primary component of my everyday food intake. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 Seriously, I love crispy salad. It's way more refreshing and satisfying to me. Are you thinking about cutting it out now?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen ughghgh IDK, I could probably survive swapping to butter lettuce, etc., for the salads I make at home, but sorta hard to avoid in salads out at restaurants... :-\ esp being vegetarian...
  • Bleepity bleep. I literally just ate romaine lettuce salad with dinner. Luckily my 3 year old refused to eat it. He did help me make the salad though... ripping the lettuce is his favorite... 
  • @glitterfingers IDK if there's some board etiquette but IMO I like the one-off threads for specific food recalls because the point is to get peoples' attention. (And it doesn't happen often enough to clutter up the board.)
  • One-off posts for PSA's like this are okay.
    We all want to know if there's a recall for listeria or something, and we don't want it to be looked over on the randoms thread on accident. *shrug*

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Dang!  I love romaine lettuce!  I almost bought a bag earlier this week but didn't because it all looked kind of gross at the store.  I figured they were getting a new shipment in soon. I guess I'll wait for crispy salads.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • katelynrae86katelynrae86 member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for posting this. I read it earlier after eating a big romaine salad for lunch, and buying a 6 head bag at costco this morning  :s Ugh! I'm just getting back into my habit od salads for lunch after the holidays. I agree, crunchy salads are the best...I guess I should trash this bag and go buy something else tomorrow...? Grr...
  • @katelynrae86 you might be able to return the Costco bag since you just bought it! Esp if you explain the recall and stuff. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sunshineandwhiskey oh, you're right! I rarely return stuff, but I know they have an awesome return policy so I'm sure they would take it with the recall info. Thanks!
  • @PatientlyWaiting10 yes, it is the Taylor family! I just couldn't believe how sick that little guy was. He was on my mind so much and am so glad to see positive updates, too.

Obviously we know ecoli can make you sick, but this is beyond what you typically think.

I ate a hot dog today for lunch from this little place by work we sometimes get instead of my typical Greek salad. The trade off in my head made sense in the moment....
  • https://www.consumerreports.org/e-coli/new-cases-ecoli-outbreak/

Just an update for anyone craving a good Caesar salad like I am. Seems like the worst has passed, but still up in the air, so I guess I'll keep waiting. 
  • @amys614 I'm still leary.  We talked about going to red lobster tonight and I always get a ceasar salad there. I might not get it this time which bums me out.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for the update @amys614!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited January 2018
    @amys614 I was just wondering if it was still an issue. I miss caesar salad too.
  • Same! I was just thinking about adding it back to my grocery list, but still unsure...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @glitterfingers @silvergreen I bought a bag of iceberg this weekend and a dole salad kid with iceberg and cabbage mix with kale. I needed something. I couldn't take any more weeks of zero salad. It's my go to for lunch. Still really missing my romaine and Caesar's though.  I hope they get this all clear soon. 

@PatientlyWaiting10 did you see the little Taylor boy is finally going home today after a month in the hospital from this ecoli crap? So happy for them. 
  • @amys614 YES!!  PTL!!  I'm SO happy for them and cannot imagine the torture they've been through this past month or however long it's been!! 

All are welcome!

• Does anyone know if this is over yet 
    #needmesomeCaesar 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @torileea no idea.  I just did iceberg with creamy ceasar dressing tonight because I'm nervous to buy romaine still 
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I might have to do that @sabby2
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm eating romaine. Wash your lettuce. Eat from good sources. Don't buy ishty produce. I think it's probably fine. It certainly can't be worse than risking anything else - like, who knows what the next thing will be that we eat before anyone announces there's a problem. 
  • @elsie42 hooray! Seemed like it was probably safe again but I was still on the fence. Craving a ceaser wrap :)
  • @glitterfingers that was me hahah
    friday was glorious ❤️
    Pregnancy Ticker