1st Trimester
Options

celexa while pregnant ?

I have been on celexa for quite a while and DH and I are considering TTC #3. Has anyone taken celexa while pregnant? I could taper off but I feel so much better taking it. Thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: celexa while pregnant ?

• Options
    muggle621muggle621 member
    edited December 2017
    I chose to get off my ADHD meds and antidepressents when TTC but I worked closely with both my OB and Neuropsychiatrist and still continue to work with them at 28 weeks pregnant. This is something you have to decide with your doctors as they will tailor your care plan to you. Everyone is different. 
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi! I’m cureently taking Celexa and I’m about 5 weeks along. My PCP said I can stay on it and I’m going to ask my OB what they think at my first appointment in 2 weeks.

Ive done my own research and have found retrospective studies that discuss no birth defects or harmful effects. I personally would like to stay on it because I feel the best while on this med. Definitely consult your doctor and let me know what they say! I’m curious. I’ll update in a few weeks with what my OB says
  • Options
    I have taken lexapro (similar) for 10 years. Took it through 2 pregnancies and I have a healthy 3 and 6 yo :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In case this helps @kates_mommy or anyone else decide:

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    @kiki75 - Just because a medication is a Class C, doesn't mean it shouldn't be continued during pregnancy.
    If the benefits outweigh the risks, then by all means someone should be continuing their medications while pregnant.

What's better:
    A happy, mentally stable pregnant woman who stays on her medication but also runs the slight risk that their baby may have an issue resulting from the medication (because, like 99% of medications on the market, pregnant women aren't just going to start taking them to help us study their effects); or a depressed, unstable pregnant woman who decides to quit her medication because there are no clinical studies on it's effects on a fetus?

That's why people should talk to their physicians (not random people on the internet) about their medication management while pregnant.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    @izza2 I wasn't telling anyone what choice to make either way. I can see how perhaps my wording came off that way. It wasn't intended that way and I apologize. And if it's huge, it's only thanks to being on mobile, not sized up to be a jerk. ;) 

The way I look at it, if it's a category A or B, you obviously mention it to your provider during initial appointments so that they're aware of everything you're taking and can avoid potential interactions with anything they may suggest or prescribe but it's not worth contacting them before the initial appointment. If I were on a category C drug, that's when I would talk to both the doctor that prescribed it and my future obstetrical provider about a plan before TTC. If I got a surprise positive, I would contact my providers first thing and talk to them about it without waiting until the typical first appointment. I'm not going to insist on talking to them early just because I have heartburn but if I'm on a medication that might have some concerns, it's fair to start talking to them about it sooner rather than later. There are absolutely medications where the cost/benefit comes out to continuing on it. Or sometimes the doctor might suggest another medication that could be a better fit for pregnancy, especially considering how pregnancy affects your body chemistry and how you metabolize medications because that part is definitely a factor with some medications. Which is another reason why it should be something that each individual works with their doctor on.    

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    My doctor recommended I stay on it because I have been doing so well and said that the worst case scenario is that the baby might go through a 24-hour withdrawal, but that’s pretty unlikely. Please discuss this with your doctor!