May 2018 Moms

Christmas Presents

I feel like I’m not done shopping but I’ve run out of ideas! I’m fully aware that not everyone celebrates Christmas but for those that do or that celebrate a holiday where gifts are exchanged, what did you get your spouse or children (if you have any)? What did you ask for? 

My husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas and all I could think of was new flatware haha. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Christmas Presents

• DH and I do not exchange gifts. Instead, we buy something we both want. This year we got a Sonos speaker. Maybe if your DH hasn’t bought anything you could talk about doing something like that?
    My kids (9, 6, 4 year old girls and a 2 year old boy) are huge LEGO fans, so I got each of them a sizeable LEGO set (around $30 each) and some smaller sets for their stockings. I got my DDs  Baby Alives, these weird toys called Enchantimals, some Hatchimals and wearable blankets with unicorn horns. My son is obsessed with cars, so I got him some matchbox cars, a race track and a parking garage. I also got some little stocking stuffers (candy, paydoh, sticker sets etc) I spent WAY too much money on the kids this year. We never buy them anything during the year though, so this is it. 
    We bought my MIL a beautiful necklace and earring set from a little handmade jewelry store.
    All DHs siblings pitch in and buy his step father a big case of nice wine.
    For my mom I got some gorgeous antique table cloths from a local antique store.
    For my dad I bought some antique handkerchiefs.
  • I asked for a cake decorating class and a salon gift card to force me to get my haircut. 
    I made a comment at our kids' birthday party earlier this month and I think mil is buying us new silverware as part of our gift. I would be super thankful because somehow, we are missing some.
    DH I think got me the cake class and something else small because we're trying to save money. I got him a new laptop briefcase, a sports shirt, and a big make your own hot sauce kit.
    Our kids are getting those anywhere chairs, train stuff, doll stuff, clothes, blocks, little people stuff, kitchen stuff, Disney movies, puzzles- and just an assortment of crap form everyone honestly. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @gildah yeah we might be doing something like that with because we need a new couch! 

DH is usually pretty easy to please. I always get him stuff he needs because he NEVER spends money on himself so I got him two new pairs of shoes, slippers, ancestryDNA kit, beard trimmer, and I want to get him one non practical gift but that’s where I’m stuck. 

DS has an offensive amount of toys so I got him some clothes, shoes, and the toy he requested from santa. My sister is paying for gymnastics as his present and my parents will be paying for ice skating lessons. 

Hes gotten a couple checks and gift cards so the checks will go in his savings and we’ll let him pick something out with the gift cards. 

As far as my family goes, I sent this to our group chat (parents/siblings). 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DHis getting new Adidas shorts, his favorite candy treats,  and some Pure Romance flavored "moisturizer"  :D

I have no clue what he's getting me, we said we would only do each other's stockings this year, but I'm afraid he went overboard because he commented on how he's going to win Christmas this year. I think my last gift for him will end up winning, tbh lol.

DS is getting jammies, Cars 3 toys, Paw Patrol cars, imaginext Batman playset, Brio trains, and a Kid Kraft fire house playset. We have a tradition where he gets 1 toy after Christmas that Santa "forgot" and I'm thinking it will be the Batman playset.  I always looked the next day as a kid around the tree just in case, so we thought it would be fun to do 1 more the next day.
  • @cups4 That’s an awesome tradition. Do you mind if I steal it?
  • We went overboard for J this year. Like... OVERBOARD. Far cry from our four gifts from last year... (Something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read) I think we’ll be going back to that next year, with an added “something to share” from me at least, for each kid.

I picked out a toy kitchen, with food, and a dishes set to go with it, around six books, a Christmas Donald Duck plush, Daniel Tiger tooth brush, Daniel Tiger house shoes, Daniel Tiger toddler bedding, a three tiered ring stacker, three knob puzzles, and a broom and dust pan set.

DH picked out a truck for him to ride on and use outside, a car maze, with extra cars for it, a giant stuffed dog, a football, and a dog chair. (I feel like I’m forgetting some things he picked out???)

We do Christmas Eve at my parent’s house (German tradition) and I know my mom has gotten him like a billion toys and books... But afterwards we do a Mrs. Claus box which has a pair of pajamas, a book, a treat, and a Christmas movie to watch together as a family.

For DH I got him a Jos A Bank gift card, and had J pick out a tie for him, a twelve pack of socks, a set of pajamas for him that Match J’s on Christmas Eve, and I got a Christmas negligee to wear on Christmas Eve with him. He got me tickets to see La Nouba tonight, pulled the trigger on getting a larger family vehicle yesterday (so I drove it home from the dealership he works at as a surprise) and a surprise from Nike. 
  • I asked for a roomba. Normally I would not be happy if my husband got me a cleaning item but I legit want one and would never bring myself to spend the money... my husband is great at gifts and kicks my ass every year, so I’m sure he will get something fun as well (our anniversary is also the 26th)

i on the other hand hand have a hard time shopping for a man who buys himself whatever he feels is worth that money, but doesn’t hold a lot of value in material items. I know he wanted these really nice dress pants made by a European company, that of course, doesn’t ship to the US! But I did find the denim version (same style and color) of what he wanted so I hope he likes them! He also has never owned birkenstocks and that blows my mind, so I got him a pair. I got silly stuff for my son to give to him like a funny coffee mug and a guitar pick that says “I couldn’t pick a better dad”
    .... so I had xmas all under control and this morning realized I forgot an anniversary gift. Awesome! Sooo I frantically looked for comedy shows and concerts coming up and got tickets for Leslie Jones that I can print and totally act like I have had them forever! 

my my son gets way too much from grand parents, so we stick to things he needs- shoes, clothes... got him a set of toddler knifes bc he likes to help cook... his big gift is a toddler trampoline. 
  • holli0801holli0801 member
    edited December 2017
    @ivyvines6 I love the want, need, wear, read idea!! 

@lincbeesmom for non practical and last minute, I totally suggest looking online for an experience you can do together... a concert or show, or if you google experience gifts you can pull up a city near you and they have all sorts of stuff that could be a fun date night or day date 
  • @ivyvines6 we are seeing Daniel Tiger Live in February for the toddler's birthday!
  • @holli0801 i like my Roomba more than I like my husband. It was my wedding present. 

This christmas has been extremely hard. I haven’t been working in 6 weeks. DH’s bonus went completely to catching up on bills/my outrageously expensive around the clock meds. 

DD will be 2 in February...I got her a toy kitchen and wooden food and a pair of sandals that I’m wrapping just to say I have more for her. My mom went ALL OUT with a tent, sleeping bag and matching sleeping bag for bitty baby and apron for DD and bitty. Shopping cart to go with her kitchen. Lots of clothes and stuffed kitties and a play table. I’m so blessed to have my mama pick up my slack this year. 

DH and I didn’t do gifts for each other this year because $$$ honestly. We did, before shit hit the fan, order a double Bob so we’re calling that our gift because we’re runners. I also got a new diaper bag from the Kate Spade outlet on massive discount so I’m wrapping that for myself. My mom got DH some things so he won’t have nothing to open. 

I made my mom embroidered napkins for her breakfast room and got my stepdad a framed picture of him and DD. I’m also making a sugar scrub for the women in my family just to have a little something else. 
  • I wish that DH would agree to stop buying for each other. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but I just don’t need anything (I did ask for a new water bottle and a new phone case, which I could definitely use), but he goes overboard on me every year. I am talking a little blue box with a white ribbon overboard, and that is on top of multiple other gifts. It makes me totally stressed out, because I don’t know what to get him, so I’m always out gifted. And I just really don’t need or want that much jewelry. I guess at least now I’ll have two girls to pass it on to someday. 

DD is totally into Santa this year, so I’m mostly excited for her excitement!! 
  • DH and I are big into buying things that we need or experiences we can share together. We love going to the movies, so this year we bought each other a MoviePass subscription and a Sams Club membership for when baby arrives for formula, diapers, wipes etc. I got him some Buffalo Bills onsies from the baby that I think he’s gonna love but that’s about it. 
  • Me and SO decided no exchanging this year. Neither of us have the energy and SO sure as heck buys what he wants whenever that urge arrives. I did buy my self some earrings while finishing the rest of my shopping yesterday though ;) 
    DS is getting a few things, we get so many hand me downs from his cousin and I feel like our house is overflowing with toys anyway! He's getting a walking and roaring T-Rex, a step stool for his bathroom so he can start washing up before bed like a big boy, a tickle me Elmo, a fingerling, and a book and stuffed animal... Clothes wise he's getting a new coat and a new swimsuit for our Florida vacation in 2 weeks. Oh and a new pair of pajamas. 
  • DH and I got each other tickets for the same show for our anniversary  :D well at least we both wanted to go!