June 2018 Moms

Holiday Feasting

Let's talk things you're making for the upcoming holiday get togethers.  We did something similar for Thanksgiving so I thought this might be fun.
We are so excited to grow our family!
DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Holiday Feasting

• I made latkes last night for Hanukkah, and i also made a delicious veg stock with my mom which isn’t hanukkah related and also def won’t remain until Christmas but it was SO GOOD guys! Recipe below: 

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/vegan-umami-broth?intcid=inline_amp

Also I ordered bagels, cream cheese, lox and babka from Russ & Daughters to my mom’s in ca as a surprise for her for Hanukkah-y breakfasts and she’s sooooo happy about it lol lol. 
  • We are making tamales at my
    parents house on Christmas Eve. Our current menu for Christmas dinner is: Locro (Argentinian tripe soup), empanadas, pierogies, tamales, turkey and some sort of veggie. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • BurlapandLaceBurlapandLace member
    edited December 2017
    Hosting anywhere from 8-14 adults and 5-6 kids for Christmas dinner (we still have two families that are pending the weather on if they will be able to make it over the snow passes to be here or not). 

So far I am for sure making:
    Ham (with a mustard dipping sauce)
    Scalloped Potatoes 
    Mac and Cheese 
    Sweet potato crack 
    Rolls 

I want at least two veggie sides, but I am stuck on what to make. Traditionally I would do like roasted carrots and then a green bean casserole. But I’m not really feeling it this time around. So maybe I will get something inspiration from this thread :) 

And I will probably have MIL bring a cheesecake and a pie for dessert. 
  • I ight bring jalapeño popper dip in the crockpot for the big potluck. It's nice having something different.  We always have the typical turkey, ham, stuffing, casseroles, etc but I love being able to have something a little different too.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will probably having Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner with just our little family of 6. I will be watching this thread for ideas. I love the idea of tamales!
  • I am so excited for ham balls!  :D 

Going to pull some inspiration for sides from this thread! @doxiemoxie212 the zucchini meatballs sound delish!
  • Hosting anywhere from 8-14 adults and 5-6 kids for Christmas dinner (we still have two families that are pending the weather on if they will be able to make it over the snow passes to be here or not). 

So far I am for sure making:
    Ham (with a mustard dipping sauce)
    Scalloped Potatoes 
    Mac and Cheese 
    Sweet potato crack 
    Rolls 

I want at least two veggie sides, but I am stuck on what to make. Traditionally I would do like roasted carrots and then a green bean casserole. But I’m not really feeling it this time around. So maybe I will get something inspiration from this thread :) 

And I will probably have MIL bring a cheesecake and a pie for dessert. 
    As a sweet potato lover, I must know what “sweet potato crack” is!!

I’m making my first pass at hosting Christmas dinner, so I guess I’m a real grown up now?? Last year DD was 6 weeks old and I instituted a “no traveling for my kids at Christmas” rule meaning grandparents come to us. It was a blur, but pretty sure I only cooked mac n cheese or something.

This year,  I’m ordering a fried turkey from a local restaurant cause we are too intimidated to try ourselves. My mom is making dressing. I’ll then make:

macaroni and cheese
    collard greens
    sweet potatoes
    rolls
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hosting Christmas day for 8. For years I've been pitching the idea of doing appetizer sized everything. I never have room for a big meal all at once. I just love bite sized everything! We'll see, maybe I can work a few in.
  • We are doing a ham, cheesy crock pot potatoes, either broccoli or green beans and rolls,  probably.

I typically run like a mad woman on Christmas Day to cover all the families. It's stressful but it's what I know and have come to love. My boyfriend's parents typically have Christmas Eve but wont be in town this time.  This year my dad's side is having Christmas on an alternate day so I will just have my mom's side on Christmas Day, which is very small. We decided not to exchange gifts this year as a group due to my aunt being in a tough financial spot, and my mom and I haven't made Christmas cookies like we usually do mostly because I've been feeling like junk, so the whole feeling this year is just different and making me kind of bummed. Looking forward to next year, adding a baby to the joy.

Sorry kind of got side tracked there. I think I'm sad about the lack of Christmas cookies. Haha
  • All I'm responsible for is Christmas breakfast. I'm thinking an egg/cheese/sausage casserole. (And maybe a smaller vegetarian one.) Any favorites? 

I would do sticky buns but then we sit around eating stocking candy all morning.

DH is excited to cook Christmas Eve dinner and my mom is bringing a traditional turkey dinner for Christmas day. I plan to relax.
  • We have Danish Christmas on Christmas Eve at MIL... so, I am in the clear there. And then Christmas Dinner at my parents house. I am bringing "make ahead mashed potatoes" ... YUM! We do low key breakfast at our house. Pancakes and sausages, carmelized apple topping, whipped cream, and lots of coffee!! I have also done Baked Oatmeal... Gordon Ramseys recipe, which is heaven. 
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • We have a huge family so any given holiday we have 40-50 people.  The beautiful thing about that is no one is stuck cooking all day - everyone signs up to bring something (app, main dish, side, drinks, desserts...).  I signed up for an app this year and because I am ridiculously lazy right now I am bringing cream cheese with hot pepper jelly on top and wheat thins for dipping.  Easy and delicious!
  • @Miz_Liz God, I love cream cheese with hot pepper jelly. I had forgotten about it until just now. Calling my mom to request it on Christmas Eve.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 it’s a staple for me around the holidays.  So easy, so good!
  • @llamamama14 For the veggie one, this one is super easy: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-veggie-supreme-egg-bake-242506. Any combo of veggies works fine. And you could obviously add meat, too...the method just works well.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  •  Go to Breakfast Casserole: https://www.plainchicken.com/2014/12/sausage-hash-brown-breakfast-casserole.html?m=1

She talks about browning the shredded potatoes, we don't. I cook the sausage, and toss it all together in the refrigerator the night before, and put it in the oven when I start the coffee! 
  • Yum! I may give this a go! Thank you!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • All I'm responsible for is Christmas breakfast. I'm thinking an egg/cheese/sausage casserole. (And maybe a smaller vegetarian one.) Any favorites? 

I would do sticky buns but then we sit around eating stocking candy all morning.
    Yep, I do a breakfast casserole for big groups and am planning one for Christmas morning. Super easy:

-casserole dish
    -3 cans of pillsbury crescent rolls
    -1.5 packages of ground sausage (I like the jimmy dean that comes in a 16 oz gold cylinder)
    -5-6 raw eggs, beaten
    -Grated cheddar cheese - to your liking

-spray dish with non stick 
    -put a layer of crescent rolls in the bottom to fully cover the base (prob 1.5 cans) 
    -bake just that layer at 350 for 5-7 mins til it puffs up. Keeps it from getting soggy later. 
    -add browned sausage
    -pour raw eggs
    -Sprinkle with cheese
    -add another layer of crescent rolls to completely cover the top
    -bake at 350 until light brown 

Takes 20 mins or so. I may cook the sausage the night before to speed things up. 

I’m in the south so I usually serve with grits, but it’s great by itself or with fruit!

Pregnancy Ticker