Dx: PCOS
Married: June 2013
TTC#1: January 2015
BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
TTC#2: June 2017
BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18

Re: UO Thursday 12/14

• I hate feeling baby hiccups. They’re slightly painful, and I feel like I can’t sit still during them. 
  • @ShawnnaO I always like them the first couple times I feel them and they get seriously irritating. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @ShawnnaO @syssa-o would I definitely know if I felt them? sometimes it seems like babe's bumping on a beat, sort of, but it doesn't feel too different from her usual, less coordinated moves.
  • @syssa-o I was a little surprised by that too, but then i saw them saying you could give all the super expensive, fancy gifts too, but just say it's from you and not Santa.  I kind of get the point they're making?  But at the same time it's sort of trying to ignore the widening income gap.  There are parents who can't get a single item to be "from Santa".  There are parents who can only afford to give essentials like a warm scarf.  So even if a wealthy parent only gave their kid one gift that was comparatively to their their other gifts on the less expensive side it's STILL going to be over the top compared to a scarf or nothing at all.  Maybe we should focus more on income inequality and less on policing which gifts to write "From Santa" on.  So TL;DR I pretty much agree with you.

UO: I think it would be easier all around to just skip teaching kids that Santa is a real man who gives you gifts.  I don't think I'm going to teach that to this little one.  
  • @antoto Youre absolutely right about what the big problem is here. It’s just another day to highlight inequality and all that jazz. 

We never “taught” our son about Santa I guess it just kind of happened with all of the Christmas propaganda etc . We aren’t religious either, so for us, Christmas is just a fun family day where we can eat good food and give each other things that we may not normally purchase for ourselves. 

When he is a bit older, I’d like to teach DS that hard work provides his gifts for him. Not that a man who determines whether he was naughty or not does but that mom and dad work their tail off to provide him with everything he has and that we are very lucky to be able to do so. 
  • @orbmaker if you’re feeling a rhythmic little tap/or kick coming from the same place, that’s hiccups. They don’t nevessarily feel different from normal movements, there’s just a rhythm to them.  :)
  • @LaurenAnn0405 As a professional photographer myself I don't totally disagree with you, but I do think that it is important that us mommas need to be in the frame every so often and sometimes that doesn't happen unless you hire someone to do a shoot for you. And It doesn't always mean 'posed'. Usually when shooting families I try to get them to interact and be themselves. Of course, I do take a few of those 'Christmas Card' pics where everyone is smiling at the camera. 

We just got our family photos taken for the first time and DD is 2 already! And I love them so much!
    I don't have hardly any newborn photos because I kept thinking I would do them myself and then I ended up having a C-section and couldn't even hold her while standing for 2 weeks! By then she was out of that sweet sleepy stage. 
  • I completely understand wanting to soak up the experience @antoto and for other mom's who have had a difficult journey in TTC they're in a totally different place than I am.  Like I said, to each their own!

@triplejplus1 I know that I'm guilty of taking a ton a pictures of my kids without being in the picture but I actually realized that I take a lot of selfies with them and I actually don't have many pictures of DH with the kids (which I figured out this morning when I was looking for a cute picture to post on FB with a happy birthday message to him :D)

• antoto said:
    I'd be down for treating Santa sort of like a Disney character.  Like still having the character around and visiting Santa at the mall or whatever but also not saying he's a real actual dude who slides down the chimney and looks in on you all year, etc.

I wonder if my lack of enchantment with the Santa story is because I'm the youngest of four and by the time I could really start forming memories my siblings were already checked out of the whole Santa thing.
    This. Even down to the being the youngest of four thing  :D I’m all about Christmas magic and getting the spirit, but my kids will know he’s just a story character. But they’ll also be taught not to ruin it for those who do believe in him. 
  • @vflux33 Yep, my husband was the kid that ruined santa for everyone too... He was from a TINY town in Tennessee, and there was actually a little news article about how Christmas was ruined by one little boy... I think it's just crazy. I was never really encouraged to believe in santa, and even when we were told that one gift was from him, we just looked at our parents like they were crazy. We didn't even have a chimney!  :D  I'm with @ShawnnaO, that we'll probably just tell our kids that Santa is about the spirit of giving. 

Also not that into the whole expensive photo shoot thing. We haven't even discussed it, since it's so far outside of our budget. 
  • @npkat Are those the newborn photos that the hospitals offer, or like a separate real photographer to hire at home? At the hospitals around here, there's a photographer that comes in to take newborn photos in the hospital room (with your permission, of course), and then you can choose to buy them. I don't know if those are more/less expensive than hiring one separately, but you might have another opportunity to convince DH if you want.

(I had a couple friends who said they weren't going to buy the hospital photos, but ended up doing so once they were there... crazy hormones are probably good for in-hospital businesses)
  • @gh515 That is a photographer outside of the hospital. I am curious now if the hospital does them because what husband can say no to a wife that just birthed his child :D. Thanks for the great idea, I'll have to ask at my next appointment. And I don't want a ton, just a couple to make into canvas', give to grandparents, etc. 
  • I also hate Elf on a Shelf @antoto and @mass-girl-at-heart!  My mom asked me a few years ago if I wanted one and I firmly told her NO.  The holidays are crazy enough without having to worry about moving the elf to different places in the house and try to have them do funny/destructive things.  My co-worker took her elves with her to Disney World on vacation last week and hid them around the hotel room every day.  Waaaaay too much pressure.  DD asked me yesterday "do we have an elf at our house?"  I said "no" and she said "we have one at school, his name is Fuzzy" and my only response to that was "that's nice!"  Plus the elves are supposed to report bad behavior to Santa but most of the time the parents make the elves look like they misbehaved which is the opposite of the behavior they're trying to encourage?  Doesn't make sense.
  • @heatherdubrow, why don’t you have an elf? Because you don’t want it to murder your family while they sleep! That’s why you don’t have an elf :wink:

The pre-made ones creep me out. I’ve seen some cute homemade ones though. 
  • We do the Elf and it was the worst. Decision. Ever. Don’t ever start because there’s a great chance your kids will love it and you’ll feel too guilty to stop!  :s I will say our friends have an Elf, he’s extremely inappropriate (it’s more for her DH and Facebook, her kids are young), and it’s way too funny. Like NSFW funny. Hahaha