June 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Baby Apparel (week of Dec 11)

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... baby apparel! We’ll have specific threads later on to talk about specific seasons, but this time just feel free to share favorite brands, shops, categories, etc.

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. httpsforumsthebumpcomresourcesemojismilepng 

For S+TMs: 

• Climate (multi-season, mostly hot, mostly cold, etc):
  • Favorite [baby apparel]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [baby apparel] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [baby apparel] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [baby apparel]?:

For FTMs

• [baby apparel] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gjNtxy2Kd2JceTYYR5wkwVcpTbU-khgazhjcZnfI1y4/edit?usp=sharing

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Baby Apparel (week of Dec 11)

• Options
    FTM: 
    • [baby apparel] you're interested in: The onsies with the zipper from the top down to the foot
    • Link/picture: https://www.target.com/p/baby-organic-3-pack-zip-front-sleep-n-play-set-cat-jack-153-white-heather-gray/-/A-50902501
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: Link me any ones you can find! I want to only have those kinds of onesies on my registries but it is kind of hard to find them. I know there are a couple styles at Target. I think Carters makes them but looking at their site there's no way to narrow it down to just that type of zipper. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @krashke +1 // I have heard great things about the onesies with the zippers too, but why are they so difficult to find??
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If we're talking footed PJs with zippers vs buttons.... I'll take zippers. So much easier in the middle of the night instead of fumbling with buttons half asleep. Or grab a sleep sack, even easier... atleast I assume. Those are what I want to try this time around!

also. We had so many cutesy outfits.. a lot just given to us. But I don't know if it was cause of the newborn stage or cause it was flu season. We barely left the house and he lives in sleepers and onsies. So cute outfits were a waste. Maybe summer will be different.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    lisa2589lisa2589 member
    edited December 2017

For S+TMs: 

• Climate (multi-season, mostly hot, mostly cold, etc): Multi season
    • Favorite [baby apparel]: Halo sleep sack
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $20ish
    • What you like about it: For nighttime sleeping it helped us get longer periods of sleep because it stopped her arms from flying up and startling herself awake. This is meant to be a wearable blanket so it comes in varying weights (thin cotton, micro fleece) according to what season you need. Once DD didn’t need to be swaddled anymore we switched to the sleeveless version which she wore on top of her pajamas at night until after 1 year when she started walking. It makes it so much easier for baby to sleep without loose blankets as reccomended. 

• Is there a [baby apparel] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: The only thing I didn’t care for were the pajama onesies with snaps from chin to toe. Give me a zipper over 15 snaps any day. 

ETA: I guess maybe I should have waited and done this for the Blankets review week. It really serves as both. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    +1 on the jammies with zippers, so much easier.  The ones that JUST have buttons around the legs suck (that slip over the head).  Another +1 to sleep sacks.  DD wasn't allowed to be swaddled so they were a life saver.

I am a huge fan of Carters/Osh Kosh.  They worked the best for DD.  Old Navy/Gap I felt ran bigger. I also like Rags to Raches but they are not daycare friendly.

When you get to shoes - I love Freshly Picked Mocs, and New Balance.  New Balance comes in wide widths, and DD has such chubby feet that she needs wider widths haha.

Baby Socks suck.  

We hung a lot of the "nicer" outfits and I almost always forgot to put DD in those.  With a summer baby (DD was July 16), she lived in short sleeve onesies and tanks.  And for daycare, i know its an UO, but i often just sent her in the one piece zip outfits.  It was easier for them and me!  DD's feet were always cold, and it helped prevent that.
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sunshineandwhiskey can you elaborate on what is or isn't daycare friendly? Do they usually require certain things?
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    Just a note that Gerber runs SMALL! Their 3-6 month clothes fit my small newborn. I've heard this from multiple other moms, so it's not just me lol. 
    Idk if this counts as clothing but I love the SwaddleMe swaddles. 
    SwaddleMe Original Swaddle 3-PK, Ellie Flower (SM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013GYQVU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bpRlAbXHTK5CN
    You can buy it pretty much anywhere, and it's not too expensive. 
    I'm awful at swaddling with a blanket, but these make it so easy! DD would sleep for 2-3 hours as long as she was in this. We used it until she 5 months or so. Definitely worth it.
  • Options
    @krashke I think this depends on what type of daycare you choose, and while they can't specifically say "no" to how you dress your child (as long as it isn't a safety hazard) DD teachers definitely had preferences, and it was always a casual conversation about it. 

The way I think about it is - in the infant room its 1 teacher per 4 kids.  If my kid was screaming while its taking the daycare worker an extra 5 minutes to dress another child (because the outfit is not daycare friendly), it would bother me.  So i just try to be considerate with how I dress DD.  If it is "challenging" for me to put an outfit on her, they I won't use that for daycare.  

Idk if any of that made sense.  Its Monday and my brain hurts.  

Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Buy Zutano booties! They are the only thing that stayed on DS's feet.

Also, don't register for clothes unless there is something you specifically want. People will buy clothes if you have a shower.

Finally, if you are buying clothes, seek out consignment sales and stores.  Babies outgrow NB, 0-3, 3-6 month clothing so quickly that you can buy almost new clothes for significantly less.  
  • Options
    • Climate (multi-season, mostly hot, mostly cold, etc): multi-season
    • Favorite [baby apparel]: anything Matilda Jane (typically girls/women only, though.) 

• Link/picture:    The dress DD wore in our holiday pics. 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): can be $$, unless you purchase through their discount site, goodlucktrunk.com, but it only sporadically has merch (last season, size surpluses, etc.)
    • What you like about it: The clothes are very well made and are very durable. They hold most of their value for resale. Toddler sizes run in evens, so everything tends to fit for a pretty decent amount of time. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The cost, dear Lord , the cost. Their regular website sometimes has items for $100 but if you catch Good Luck Trunk at the right time, you can get some killer deals. I have gotten $45 skirts and dresses for $10. 
    • Is there a [baby apparel] you don't have but are considering? Why?: 
    • Is there a [baby apparel] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
    • Additional thoughts on [baby apparel]?: Don't pay attention so much to sizes when you're storing clothes, especially gifted clothes. My 15-month-old DS wears 2T exclusively, and has for a few months. I stupidly put back a lot of clothes that label-wise were "too big" for him, only to discover later on that he had already completely outgrown them. 
  • Options
    DD was a winter baby- but we were inside all the time.   With DS being a June baby, I'm sure I'll need more short sleeved onsies, but once the summer heat/humidity hit we will be inside all the time too. Central air/ heat make is a 70s day everyday for us.  For the newborn stage we had DD in the long sleeved with fold over hand so we didn't have to put her in mittens.  I think I'll pick up a few boy ones this time too- since the AC will be blasting all summer.  

I didn't mind the snapped body suits, but DH preferred the zipper.  I didn't really find a difference between zip up or zip down.

+1 on the Halo sleep sacks.  We are still using them- and I just bought bigger sizes for DD.  Her little feet get cold and 12M PJs start to introduce the 2 piece PJs without covered feet- so they are a must for right now.  

We also found the Baby Merlins Magic Sleepsuit to be a lifesaver. She was a master swaddle escape artist, no matter if it zipped, Velcro'd, ect.  This suit was big on her but the neck is so low that it worked around 2 months (she was 10lbs).  I'm buying at least 4 more- since boys are bigger we will get the 6-9 size too this time.  I always give them as gifts now too.     
    https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Merlins-Magic-Sleepsuit-Microfleece/dp/B00WRM0FV8/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1513015755&sr=8-5&keywords=baby+merlin's+magic+sleepsuit

Gap/Old Navy switches to 6-12 months instead of the usual 3 month size grouping- so DD is just getting into her 6-12 clothes now that she's in 9-12 months.  Some of the pants were okay at 6 months.  Carters always ran pretty true to size for us- and is a big component of our DD's wardrobe.  

Baby socks aren't really necessary for summer babies, and 6-12 month olds just want to pull them off and eat them.  I'm only planning on getting 1 pack of neutral socks- in case he has cold feet like me.  Girl socks are more fun- with bows and flowers attached that babies love to grab out.

and as everyone knows- babies grow out of clothes quickly.... don't spend too much on any of their clothes.  A few special outfits are a must- but everything else can be second-hand, used, or just don't buy too much.  They dont need to fill a dresser- one drawer of clothes will be more than enough.  

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    @kfren Are you in any Facebook MJ b/s/t groups? DD wears mostly boutique (ER, SH, OM, CP) and I find staking the b/s/t boards a way better investment. I get most of her stuff off there like worn once and much cheaper that retail. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @dinodna3 No, because I would probably buy way more than I need to. I only shop GLT and never the actual MJ site. I enjoy being married and would most likely not be if I got MJ for any cheaper. 
  • Options
    I agree with @May14th2011 regarding a love for Swaddle Me Originals.  We used them every single night.  My August California baby usually only slept in a diaper underneath them because no additional warmth was needed.

Zippers are for sure easier than buttons, but if you are just looking for something damn cute, I was obsessed with Kic Kee Pants Ruffle Coveralls!  The ruffles and butt design are adorable.  The fabric is amazing.  This is one my go to baby gifts for others.  https://www.kickeepants.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=280
  • Options
    Just know that the sizes between different brands all run differently. It’s annoying. But 0-3 at one store may fit differently than the same size at another store. So check size charts. 
  • Options
    I may be the odd ball but I'm a fan of button up jammies because you can just undo the bottoms to change diapers as opposed to opening it all up and getting them cold and really awake. My daughter was a May baby and we were big of rompers for the summer, looked like a cute little outfit, but still just one piece and easy to get on and off. And as for those swaddlers, I know so many friends who insisted I get them, but my daughter HATED being swaddled so we never really used them...the only one we used was the one without the Velcro straps that let her arms free as a blanket in the winter
  • Options
    @momac1919 +1 to rompers. I’m just not a fan of footed pajamas in general. 

We we used the swaddleme’s until they could roll then switched to the zipidee zip. It’s seriously one of the best baby products I bought. We call it the flying squirrel suit and DS (18m) still sleeps in it. 
    https://www.sleepingbaby.com/collections/zipadee-zip/products/nature-trail-zipadee-zip
  • Options
    This might be a dumb question but what would be a good going-home outfit for a June baby?  Ohio can vary, we might be looking at a 70-degree day or it could be 90.  Will a short-sleeved onesie do the trick?  Or will I need pants too?  FTM here sorry if this seems like a stupid question!
  • Options
    llamamama14llamamama14 member
    edited February 2018
    @krashke I haven't ever seen inverted zippers on sleepers (except for the link you posted.) I use a lot of regular-direction (pull up to zip) zip-up sleepers and haven't ever been bothered by them during MOTN diaper changes. If that's what you want, though, and you can't find others, just register for/get a ton of those Target ones you linked. 

ETA I didn't realize how old this thread was since it got bumped...

@taykc90 We did a lot of long sleeved cotton on our last summer baby because of indoor AC. As for it being cooler outside, you can throw a light blanket over baby in the carseat. :)
  • Options
    @taykc90 Not a dumb question at all. +1 to what @llamamama14 said regarding the light blanket. You can really dress them in whatever you prefer. We have a family coming home outfit that's been passed down for three generations. It's a crocheted hat, a little jacket, and small booties. I couldn't find anything that matched the color, so I just put both DD & DS (summer babies) in short-sleeved onesies underneath the jacket. They each had special blankets too, and we just kept them covered in those until they got home. 
  • Options
    @taykc90 I remember asking something similar {more along the lines of blankets though} and our weather is similar to what you have {except we may get more humidity}
    Our plan is onsie and leggings and a couple of crocheted things {sweater, mitts, hat & booties} brought with us, as well as a light blanket just to have extra in case. It's often chilly in our hospital, but I'm not sure about the maternity ward.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I actually just thought of another question....I just need an outfit(s) for going home, right?  While the baby is in the hospital the hospital will just keep them in a blanket or something right?  Or do I need onesies for while they're in the hospital?  I only ever hear people mention going home outfits so I'm guessing I don't need anything else but I never really thought about it before!
  • Options
    @taykc90 We brought outfits from home.  Our room was pretty chilly so we brought a couple sleepers, and onesies.  It was good practice, and our hospital only provided these weird wrap around shirt things that they took back.  
    Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @taykc90 We didn't bring any hospital outfits. The baby spent time in a kimono shirt from the hospital (the kimonos are better for the cord) / swaddled / on me.
  • Options
    Kind of a weird question, but do any girl moms have a brand of bows that they love? I had some with the thin bands and felt like they were digging into DD’s head, then got some off of amazon and felt like they were an awkward size. I’ve seen some in pictures with a thicker band and lighter fabric but can’t identify the brand. 
  • Options
    Ok, I think this question goes best here:
    How important is special laundry detergent? I know it depends on each baby's level of skin sensitivity, but should it be the only thing used in the first few months? We typically use the classic Tide. Here's my current thought on strategy, let me know if it sounds reasonable:
    I've got a lot of Dreft and 7th generation samples from welcome boxes. I was thinking of washing baby's clothes before she arrives in these, then do a small load in Tide, see if it goes ok, then make the switch. 
    Is this something I should try later on and just get one bottle of special detergent for the first few months?

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • Options
    @icecubeinthedesert from the sci comm work I've done with laundry detergent (I used to spend entire days reading studies on laundry detergent, surfactant chain differences, skin sensitivity comparisons lol), the free & gentle/clear versions of most detergents should be fine - so if you like Tide (I do too), check out the free & gentle so you don't have to have two different laundry detergents, you can just use the one for all loads. I know I personally have really sensitive skin, so I have to use the unscented versions of things in general, and I'm not planning to use a special detergent like Dreft or anything. I have tried the more "natural" detergents in the past (like 7th generation, but basically all those brands at Whole Foods), and I feel like they don't clean as well, so what's the point of washing clothes at all if they don't get clean? 
  • Options
    lisa2589lisa2589 member
    edited February 2018
    @icecubeinthedesert I think it sounds reasonable to try out a load in your regular detergent and see how it goes. If you do end up buying a bottle of the baby detergent, just know it will last you a long time because the loads of baby clothes are relatively smaller than your normal load! Also I have heard of families switching the whole family to using an unscented detergent rather than buying a separate baby detergent. 

Edit: tag

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @icecubeinthedesert We have never used Dreft or any speciality detergent. Free & clear versions of regular detergent have never bothered my son, and then we all use the same thing. (The only difference is that we use fabric softener on our clothes, and we don’t on his.)
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Options
    @icecubeinthedesert we didn’t change our detergent at all. I was told not too unless I saw a reaction.  Tide all the way here. 
    Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @icecubeinthedesert we're a tide household as well... and I have never used anything different for my newborns. Thankfully we've had no issues. 
    @taykc90 I got a cute set of onesies with matching hats (target, maybe?) And while she was in the hospital we kept her in those. They insisted on keeping a hat on her (July baby) because with the a/c going they get chilled easy & I abhor the hospital hats. 
    Edit:words are hard
  • Options
    I’m very anti scented detergents because the smell is simply too strong. Babies have very sensitive skin so I would just use the free and clear version of whatever detergent you prefer. We started with All free and clear with DS and never used baby specific detergent. 
  • Options
    Looking at the topic of this thread I just want to throw out there that baby sizes can be vastly different from brand to brand (or even with the same brand).  And sizes are a little hard to navigate since they're either a specific month or a range of months.  It can be overwhelming the first few times your kid goes into the next size.  In general, Gerber onesies and outfits run small.  I found this out the hard way when I tried to switch over clothes to the next size up only to find that my kid had already outgrown some clothes I hadn't even gotten to yet.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Options
    Reviving this thread. I did my BBB registry last weekend and the woman who walked through the store with us was really pushing hats and socks for newborns. She made me feel like they needed them to leave the hospital or something. Do any STM+ have thoughts on this?

Also, does anyone have a brand/style of onesie/bodysuit that they like best? I've been throwing Burt's Bees brand on my registry, but don't really know if I'm going in the right direction. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh - and I forgot! Do I need to get those little mitts to cover their little baby hands?? Is that so they don't scratch themselves?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522 I never used them. Just kept their nails trimmed. It’s just anything thing to wash and lose. 
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522 re: hats, they kept putting one on her in the hospital but after we left she never wore one again.  She did have a head full of hair so I guess that helped her. Socks- I felt like dig into her ankles too much. I will be going with these for when she doesn’t have footed pjs on - https://www.bisonbooties.com/0-6-months/

Mittens though. So they don’t scratch up their little faces. I used those for quite a while. 

Pregnancy Ticker