August 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Week of 12/11: Strollers!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... strollers! Doubles, singles, jogging, etc. Worthless, can't do without, whatever your opinion is lets hear it!

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite{stroller}:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [stroller]:

For FTMs:
  • [strollers] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Here is our link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UyhRAJyRFD8vsNwLsXd7vCCC-9pYjzH3p5HvngpnaOI/edit?usp=sharing

ETA: This is July's  schedule for reference, and past links here. Created based on June 2018 spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nhSR3UAwJx8UitC9b2hRx57c4hHkK6BU679FjqXMeHQ/edit?usp=sharing 

THis is June's if you want to look at past threads for reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gjNtxy2Kd2JceTYYR5wkwVcpTbU-khgazhjcZnfI1y4/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight Week of 12/11: Strollers!

• Options
    • Favorite{stroller}: We have the Graco Fastaction Jogger Travel System
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$ (but when you consider it comes with the carsear and base, I’d say it’s more $)
    • What you like about it: I definitely wanted a travel system with the car seat but could also be used after outgrowing the car seat. I wanted a stroller with real wheels and the three wheels makes it easier to maneuver. It can go over different terrain easily.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The front wheel has a lock for jogging that often falls down and sticks. 
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I’m reluctant to get a double stroller as DS would rather walk most of the time, and we mostly just use it for long walks and long outings, so I think we will buy a nice umbrella stroller so we have a second if need be and it will take up less space in the car and be easier to travel with.
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]: I think you just need to make a list of what it is you want in a stroller and then find one that fits those desires. This was really the only one that fit the bill for me.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    • Favorite{stroller}: We have a Babyjogger City Mini but we used to have a Graco Modes travel system 
    • Link/picture: https://www.babyjogger.com/en-US/city-mini®
    • Cost : $259 - stroller only, no accessories. 
    • What you like about it: It folds easily, It maneuvers well 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The basket underneath is too small. It doesn't adjust so the the child can sit very upright, which is annoying. Doesn't come with cup holder or pocket for keys etc. 
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Well I'd take an Uppababy Vista! I need to look into double strollers. 
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]: You need to buy accessories like an attachment for the infant car seat, drink holder etc. The small basket drives me crazy, the Graco was far better. (Ours broke on a flight so we got a new stroller). 

For FTMs: NOT a FTM but FTM to 2+ 
    • [strollers] you're interested in: Not sure at all! 
    • Link/picture:
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: Anyone who has experience with a double stroller for an infant + toddler, please let me know! :) 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
    • Favorite{stroller}: City Mini GT. We also got a Graco SnapNGo frame (used! for cheap!) for the infant carseat. I used that for about 6 months, and it was a lifesaver after the C-section because it's much much lighter to pick up, move, and fold. 
    • Link/picture: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3XR9MU/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $280
    • What you like about it: The GT is the same as the regular city mini, but with better tires. We went with that to be able to navigate the snow and ice and general city sidewalk conditions. It is also pretty easy to fold. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The storage compartment below is very small and really hard to get stuff in and out of. 
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Maybe an umbrella stroller because it's so small and lightweight. The big stroller is nice and robust but sometimes a pain to take places. Also might get a ride-on board for my son. 
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]: The seat reclines down totally flat and has a mesh in the back. Before my son was on a good nap schedule (6-14 months-ish) we would fold it down and put the sun shade up all the way, and he would nap like a dream. He loved to nap on the beach in the stroller, because I could walk him on the boardwalk, and then get him down to our towel and he'd stay asleep for hours!
  • Options
    Following because I don’t love the one we used so looking for a new one. Will be looking for one with a stand plate for the older on the back
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    My favorite is the BOB! I have a single (revolution) and a double (duallie). Worth every cent. 

I started out out with the bjcs and the bob and sold the city select. It was nice but I had no need for two $$ strollers when the bob could be used in life. I was worried bc ppl told me the bob was too bulky. I didn’t find that to be a barrier.

i use the bobs to run, it’s great for off road stuff like fairs, wide trails, etc. the push is amazing. So comfortable and easy and that is NOT a given. I have a large trunk and don’t have an issue fitting both in it, with room. I use it at the mall tooon the rare occasions im
    crazy enough to bring my children there. If a space fits a wheelchair, the duallie will fit. It’s a bit of a pain but again, not a common thing that can’t be dealt with. 
    The other negative is a small undercarriage.

And when im done after 4 kids I’ll still be able to sell them. 

All thar said my biggest stroller advice advice is to think about how you will use the stroller and think long term. The right fit for one person will be different for someone else. 

I wouldn’t get an infant attachment too early - make sure it’ll be in the return window. My babies all flat out screamed and hated their infant seats and certainly wouldn’t ride in a stroller in one. I didn’t use them until they were big enough to sit in the seat. 

Similarly I had no use for a snap and go. But other moms swear by them.

just remember your baby will have opinions early!!! I justbaby wore in the beginning . 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    • Favorite{stroller}: We have the Baby Jogger Summit and the Baby Jogger City Mini. I love both, no plans to get a different one. 
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): The Summitt is running about $420, the mini is a bit less expensive. 
    • What you like about it: Summit: We walk A LOT outside (to the park, nature trails, etc.) and the big rubber tires are awesome and make for an easy ride. DS still chills out in the stroller when we walk (I don't know if it's because the ride is so smooth, or DS just likes being outside in the stroller, but it's nice that we can keep up our walking routine.) We bought it instead of the BOB for one reason: You can lock the front tire in place with a little lever near the handlebar. The BOB you have to get on your hands/knees and do it on the front wheel itself. (This is useful if you want to run with it.) The citi mini is easy to cart around/throw in the trunk, etc. The Summit is much too big for that. So it was necessary to have both. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The Summit is heavy AF. We have taken it traveling a couple times before and it's a bit unwieldy. We originally thought we'd fold it up and keep it in the hall closet, but we are lazy and it lives in our front foyer like a piece of furniture. But there is no way to get a true jogger stroller (which the Summit is) that is as light as an umbrella stroller, so we just deal. The citi mini is easy and light so we fold it up after use and put it away in the closet. 
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: No. 
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]: As a FTM, I became overwhelmed with all the options for all the stuff. I really don't know if there is a major difference between any of the top brands, really (aside from minor details, as I explained above in comparing the BOB vs. the Baby Jogger.)
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    One other thing to consider with strollers is if you're a family that flies often or even a few times a year. Strollers can generally be checked for free by most airlines, but a lot of them have restrictions on what can be gate checked versus checked at the counter. For example, American Airlines (we're flying them soon) says "Any stroller that weighs over 20lbs/9 kgs, is too large or is non−collapsible must be checked at the ticket counter.". That means you can't use your stroller up to the gate or at layovers which would add an additional complication for LOs who can't walk very much. Now, we have a 25lb City Mini, and haven't had trouble checking it at the gate, but something to consider if you have to fly a lot to see family or whatever. For that reason, we've considered getting a light weight collapsible umbrella stroller just for travel, but I hate having two of a thing. 
  • Options
    One other thing to consider with strollers is if you're a family that flies often or even a few times a year. Strollers can generally be checked for free by most airlines, but a lot of them have restrictions on what can be gate checked versus checked at the counter. For example, American Airlines (we're flying them soon) says "Any stroller that weighs over 20lbs/9 kgs, is too large or is non−collapsible must be checked at the ticket counter.". That means you can't use your stroller up to the gate or at layovers which would add an additional complication for LOs who can't walk very much. Now, we have a 25lb City Mini, and haven't had trouble checking it at the gate, but something to consider if you have to fly a lot to see family or whatever. For that reason, we've considered getting a light weight collapsible umbrella stroller just for travel, but I hate having two of a thing. 
    I've noticed this language, too, but I've never had any trouble gate-checking our giant Baby Jogger Summit. I mean, it's a risk I guess, but I think that the flight personnel are not trying to make it harder for people flying with kids. So I suspect the language is in there to *encourage* people to check that stuff, but they're not going to press the issue. 

• Options
    We have a Greco travel system- jogger stroller, car seat, and base. The front wheel does occasionally lock in the no swerve position, but it works well traveling off road.

DS is 18 months and really hasn’t wanted in the stroller since he started walking a few months ago. It makes me glad we didn’t choose a more expensive option (I had really wanted a BOB).

I recommend visiting a few stores and getting someone to walk you through options before making a decision. The Buy Buy Baby store by me has special staff dedicated specifically to the stroller department. While we went with a lower price point elsewhere, we were able to really understand what types of features were important to us.
  • Options
    In my experience, better to fly with a cheap and light stroller, if that works for you. My Graco stroller was irreparably damaged on a long haul flight and had it not been for my parents I would have been stroller-less the entire time there! Never mind the headache getting the airline to cought up the $$$ for a replacement!  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @pghctwife can you tell me more about baby wearing in the beginning? I'm thinking about travel systems/car seats and just don't know if I need the whole shebang. Thanks! (Also are you from pittsburgh? I have family there and I love the city) 
  • Options
    ecwk said:
    In my experience, better to fly with a cheap and light stroller, if that works for you. My Graco stroller was irreparably damaged on a long haul flight and had it not been for my parents I would have been stroller-less the entire time there! Never mind the headache getting the airline to cought up the $$$ for a replacement!  
    2nd the cheap light stroller. We bought one for our Alaska cruise this summer because I just knew our nice one would get destroyed by the airline. I was right. Cup holder broke off and they damaged a handle THE FIRST DAY. I'm glad we didn't spend much on it - maybe $30? I would have lost my mind had they damaged our BOB stroller. 
  • Options
    @morgantu sure! FWIW I’ve heard bad things about the travel systems. I was one who tended to not feel like I needed to get evvvvverything just because and mostly didn’t regret that. 

If you scroll through there’s actually a whole thread on carriers! My favorite for newborns is a ring sling but many ppl love stretchy wraps like a solly (thinner than a moby  for summer babies). 

My kids all hated the infant bucket - to the point that I might just skip it altogether since I think ours might be expired, and go straight to the convertible. So a car seat hooked into a stroller wasn’t an option. If your baby is happy in the bucket seat and will sleep in it, then a stroller with a baby seat attachment makes a lot of sense.

^whicg is why to skip the system - you can attach most any seat to most any stroller so why not pick the sat and stroller you like best independent of each other 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    @morgantu My two cents. I will never not have the baby bucket carseat. DS did not transfer well so if he was asleep the only way to keep him that way was to stay in the seat. Also in the cold months having the cover for the bucket seat was essential for me. This baby will 4/5 months before the real cold hits but I may still bucket them. I wore in the store and church though if I didn't have to wake him to transfer

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga

• Options
    @morgantu another vote in favour of the travel system. Our bucket seat was indispensable when DS was an infant. I loved the convenience of it! But as was said above, you need to consider what your family's needs are before you decide! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure its my favorite, but it did what I want and its the only one I have. I live in a rural area, and I didn't get a stroller for almost a year because i wore my son when we went out and we couldn't really use a stroller to walk on our roads (to narrow, not super safe). I was supposed to have two kids very close in age, so I looked for something that would work for an infant seat and an older toddler.

• Favorite{stroller}: Contours Options Elite Tandem Stroller in the blue 
    • Link/picture: google it, the link is huge
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):$$$ ish- $400. Not as expensive as some. Mine was on sale.
    • What you like about it: It comes with two seats that you can have facing forward or backward. The seats come off really easy, which is nice because in my car, it wouldn't fit without taking one seat off. It has an infant seat attachment that you can put on it instead of the rear seat that faces you. The basket is HUGE and has a zipper in the side for access if you have a shitload of stuff in there. I like that the seats are behind each other for folding purposes, a side by side jogging double wouldn't fit in my car for travel. For its size, it is somewhat easy to break down and set up, but you definitely need two hands.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: It is pretty heavy.
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Someone else recommended this to me and I had the money at the time so its what I went with. However it looks like there is a Baby Trend one that is similar and less expensive. If I had a million dollars and a huge car and a place to use it, the Thule Chariot would be my JAM once this kid gets older. 
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]: If you can't afford a stroller right now, don't stress about it. You won't need it in most situations, unless you are neighborhood walkers, and IMO its one of those things you could hold off on for quite awhile. Like I said, I bought mine over a year after giving birth, and it was for a trip with a lot of walking. 
  • Options
    I’ll chime in on babywearing. That’s the reason I’m not getting a double stroller. If I need DS in the stroller, I’ll wear the new baby or vice versa. I have a toddler Tula ready to go for when DS outgrows the Ergo so I’ll be able to wear either kid (or maybe even both?) And then for big events I wouldn’t go by myself anyway, so having two strollers in that instance will work. My BIL and SIL have kids two years apart and I don’t think they have a double stroller. They just do two strollers when needed.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    I'm on mobile so I can't do the full post but wanted to add my two cents. We have the Chicco Keyfit and caddy stroller, and we love it. It's been so nice to be able to just pop the car seat in the stroller without waking up DD. Also, she always falls asleep in the bucket seat, which is great because then we can go in to restaurants and she continues to sleep most of the time. She's almost 11 months now and we have the convertible seat, but I'm hesitant to change a good thing. Agree with @kindbytealikat about the cold cover too. We live in MI, so having an easy way to keep her warm is crucial. It was also a nice way to keep away unwanted strangers and touches when she was itty bitty.

We also have a Thule Urban Glide jogging stroller, and I can't recommend this stroller enough. I LOVE it. This is hands down my favorite baby purchase. It is SO smooth, so easy to use. We tested several at Buy Buy Baby, and this one beat the Bob and all the other ones in ease of use, hands down. If you plan to actually use it for running, this one is a must have. It was worth every cent and I will be looking for a Thule double jogger this time around.
  • Options
    @lalala2004 @SmashJam @ecwk @juliebird6 @kindbytealikat @pghctwife thank you All for your advice! I'm still so overwhelmed by the sheer volume of 'necessites' that I'm trying to get a handle on what we could forgo. We live in a small space and are on a tight budget, so the more I learn now the better! 
  • Options
    Oh and you can get a bucket seat but not a travel system - just means you pick them out individually.

fwiw I wouldn’t recommend skipping the bucket seat. It works great for most kids!!! Mine seem to be aberrations but they all 3 hated it soooo. Only reason I may skip it is since I’d need a new one, I’m not a ftm and know what works best for me and my kids and lifestyle... and it’s our last baby so wouldn’t hand it down. On the rare times my babies fell asleep in the seat, unhooking the seat from the car woke them. Boo! 

My my youngest I switched to the convertible at like.. 2-3 weeks. 

But it we’ll see. I’ll need a new car by then since I currently have 3-across so maybe the configuration will affect my choice.

beyond a car seat and basics, I do think if you are short on$ or space, or just aren’t sure you need so much stuff, wait till baby is here and see what they seem to need. Maybe you’ll decide it seems a/he could use a rnp but really a swing doesn’t seem like a need. Maybe you’ll find yourselves bedsharung and want a sidecar sleeper. Etc.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    I tried to be pretty minimalist on products as well. For me the travel system meant a good deal for getting almost a 3 in 1 type deal. So many people get the stroller that only clicks with the car seat, which I think is a waste of money. You’re going to have to buy a second stroller at some point, and those car seats get really damn hot. I like having the option of leaving him in or taking him out.

You can also find great deals on used strollers and many other baby items as well. I have a lot of hand me downs I paid zero dollars for. If it’s not a necessity, I’m not paying full price, if I even buy it at all.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    I agree on the bucket seat--it was essential and we kept DS in there as long as possible. FWIW, we just bought an adapter (~$15 I think) which made it so you can just put the bucket seat into the stroller. Then when he was out of the bucket seat, we took the adapter off and used the stroller with him sitting in the stroller seat. (Is this different from a  travel system that people are talking about? I don't know. But it wasn't cumbersome at all.)

I think a stroller is a pre-baby necessity because it's so nice to get out of the house when the baby arrives. It's a pain to have to load up in the car every time to go out and I relished the neighborhood walks from day 1. 

• Options
    @vinerie nope that’s what I was suggesting. A travel system is like a package deal of stroller plus car seat, instead of separate items. 

I mean maybe there’s a great travel system and you love it and that’s cool! But it’s also easy to mix and match and then you may be more likely to find each that suits your needs.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    pghctwife said:
    @vinerie nope that’s what I was suggesting. A travel system is like a package deal of stroller plus car seat, instead of separate items. 

I mean maybe there’s a great travel system and you love it and that’s cool! But it’s also easy to mix and match and then you may be more likely to find each that suits your needs.
    Yeah our bucket seat was Chicco (I think) and our stroller was Baby Jogger. So we went the mix-and-match route. 

• Options
    morgantu said:
    @lalala2004 @SmashJam @ecwk @juliebird6 @kindbytealikat @pghctwife thank you All for your advice! I'm still so overwhelmed by the sheer volume of 'necessites' that I'm trying to get a handle on what we could forgo. We live in a small space and are on a tight budget, so the more I learn now the better! 

Stuck in box UGH
    Check out Lucies List. Thtat website is great at listing pro/con of many different products It was a heaven send for my first

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga

• Options
    @morgantu the problem with necessities is they vary for everyone. Many people will say something like a changing table is not needed. For me though it makes things so much easier and I still use it at age 3. The other thing is there is no telling what your kid will like. C hated the bassinet but loved his swing hated a bouce seat but loved the jumper. My advice start small and do your research. You can always sell what you don't use.

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga

• Options

Avoid this stroller like the plaque. It seems like a great deal. I really wanted a pram. Worst stroller ever. Squeaky wheels, super hard to open and take apart to put in trunk. 
  • Options
    I got the graco travel system -the one where the stroller has many adjustment levels (forgot the name of it) LOVED it. 
    It’s not super heavy like many of the ones I tested out at BRU. Post c-section this was a plus!!! The stroller part is kind of bulky, but easy to fold and open (one hand).  Totally worth it as the back part of stroller lays almost flat for naps when baby is older. 
    Also, having baby in the seat and not having to take them out if they’re sleeping is awesome. Or when it’s super cold out. Just click to stroller and go on with errands/ outings. 
    I also loved the material as it didn’t get hot during the summer days. 
    DS used the stroller part until he was about 18 months.