Infertility

Introducing myself (loss mentioned)

Hello all! I've been active on other infertility boards, but thought I would give 'the bump' a try. I'm really just looking for support and advice, it's been a bit of a journey for us. Anyway below is our story...

My husband and I started trying after we got married in 2011. We tried for two years without any success before seeking the help of a reproductive endocrinologist. We started with IUIs (7 in total- Clomid and letrozole) before moving onto IVF in April of 2016. We both went through a lot of testing and my husband was found to have no issues, I have pcos but regular periods.

In between IUI cycles we took a break and I got pregnant naturally, but at our 8 week ultrasound they were unable to find a heartbeat. I ended up miscarrying naturally, which took about a month, and a visit to the ER, because my gyno refused to do a d&c (we didn't go back to our RE because we thought we finally had our miracle- it was mistake- and a whole other story...).  

Fast forward to today and we have been through 3 fresh IVF cycles and 5 frozen. I have always had a lot of eggs retrieved because of my pcos and right now we have 19 embryos on ice- 12 genetically tested as normal, and 7 abnormal (I'm not discarding the abnormal because I've read PGS testing isn't 100% accurate). So, after the first two failed FETs we did two era tests which showed I need 6 days of progesterone. We followed up with two more FETs while incorporating intralipid infusions, and then I was referred to a hematologist who diagnosed me with a blood clotting disorder (2 hematologists actually, the first laughed in our face- he was an ass). My aunt went through 4 miscarriages and 2 stillbirths before she was finally diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder and put on heparin- so the second hematologist took our case very seriously and put me on lovenox for my fifth transfer.

After that transfer failed my RE suggested a d&c followed by a month of antibiotics.  During the d&c she found a lot of polyps that needed to be removed and a small septum. I'm guessing the septum started to form after my natural miscarriage or biochemical pregnancy from the second transfer. Anyways she felt very optimistic about the d&c and wants the next transfer to be a natural fet without intralipid infusions (we both feel it could be having the opposite effect). 

So here we are: 6 years, 7 IUIs, 3 IVFs, and 5 FETs later... Again, I'm just looking for support and advice, feeling kind of lost at the moment. Looking forward to learning about other people's journey and making new friends. 

Re: Introducing myself (loss mentioned)

• @rachelbeth130- welcome! What a long hard journey you have had. I really really hope this next transfer is the one! It sounds like they have a good plan! I just had polyps removed before my FET and currently in the tww. I have had lots of friend who have had polyps removed and then had success, so hopefully that is the magic ticket!
    History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Baby Born born early @ 33.5 weeks due to Pre-e
    Back for # 2!
  • Thank you so much for the welcome! I'm hoping that removing the polyps and septum makes a difference. Wishing you the best, hoping your tww goes by quickly and you get good news!
  • Loading the player...
  • @rachelbeth130 wow! You’ve been thru a lot! Could it be that you had these polyps all along and they caused all the miscarriages? 

You’re lucky that you still have so many PGS normal embryos!!! 

When are are you planning to do the next transfer? I hope the next transfer will be your lucky one!
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• I'm not sure if it was the polyps. I've had 2 hysteroscopies and 6 HSGs so I feel like they would have found some of them during those tests, but maybe not.  

Yes we we are very lucky to have so many embryos. Our last cycle my doctor had me on metformin and it made a huge difference! So we're very grateful for that. 

We're planning the next transfer for January- as long as everything healed properly from the d&c. 

Thank you! I hope you have luck as well!!
  • prudence9-2prudence9-2 member
    edited December 2017
    @rachelbeth130 yes, I think 2 hysteroscopies would have seen the polyps!!! 

You should join us in the January FET thread if you haven’t already. 

What is metformin for?
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• The metformin is supposed to help with egg quality for pcos. I'm also borderline insulin resistant so it helps to keep my levels sorted. 

I'll definitely join join the January fet thread- thanks for letting me know!
  • You are a strong and brave woman! The journey you are on has definitely been tough, but just know that God is working in you and through you. I know that it might not feel like it, but something good can come from this. Have you guys ever thought about adoption? There is a child out there longing for a parent the way you are longing for a child. Maybe you were meant to save a child from being parent-less. Praying for you!
  • Thank you so much for your kind words. My husband and I are staying optimistic and sure that things will work out for the best. We have discussed adoption, but at this time we want to use up all the embryos we created before moving onto adoption/fostering.  Wishing you all the best as well!
  • Wow, @rachelbeth130, you have been through the ringer and then some. I haven't been through a fifth of what you have and some days I just want to throw in the towel. You must have a really strong support system or just laser focus on your goal! I am in awe of you honestly. Sending as many positive vibes to you as possible that you see a reward next month for all your years of struggle and procedures. Keep us posted on how things go!
  • Oh my, you sure have been through a lot! Welcome but sorry you find yourself here you know what I mean. I’m doing my first IVF this month I’m like zero help.. just wanted to let you know you’re not alone. Keep your head up doll!!
  • Thank you so much! I definitely have days where I feel like throwing in the towel too. This whole process, whether it's your first or tenth is a lot to handle. My husband and family have been amazing through it all and I don't think I would be where I am without all their support. Hoping you get your positive too! I'll definitely keep everyone posted!
  • Wishing you all the best with your first round. If you have any questions at all, or just need to vent, I'm more than happy to lend an ear! Wishing you the best!
  • I completely understand! Praying for you guys! Do you all have a good support group rallying around you all?