Thoughts on Odin? — The Bump
Baby Names

Thoughts on Odin?

I crossed it off my list for a while because someone said that it was the name of a hate group in Canada. I still haven’t heard anything about this group, except when specifically googling it. Have you?

For some reason I keep coming back to this name but of course I’d never want to give my son this name if it really is associated with this group for a lot of people. 
31 years young
from Seattle(ish)
5 years married
FTM and PGAL
EDD is 12/23/17
-- It's a BOY! ---

Re: Thoughts on Odin?

• I have never heard of a hate group called Odin! And Canada is right next door to the state I live in. I strictly think of it from the Thor movies that's it. 
  • I like it. It has a cool guy vibe to it without being trendy or trying too hard. 

One of my gulity pleasure names is Orrin. 
  • Hmm. I do think Odin conjures a bit of a "full of yourself" vibe. Also, while it's not a name that I can recall being the name of a hate group, some white supremacists go super hard on the Norse mythology/culture train. (They are also wrong, as much scholarly work shows Vikings as much more diverse then any white supremacist would be okay with. )
    neverblushedKaLikeAWind
  • I think of Odin Lloyd, the guy who was killed by Aaron Hernandez, the Patriots player. But that wouldn’t be a reason not to choose it. It’s NMS though. 
    TTC since June 2016
    BFP on July 22, 2016 (12 DPO)
    EDD April 2, 2017

Gave birth to baby girl M on April 3, 2017

ecwk
  • Seems like I have been hearing it a lot lately. I really don't love it, but it is okay. My cousin named a boy Odin, he is about 6 or 7 and the Odie nn and so babyish
  • When I hear Odin I think of Odie and that reminds me of a cartoon dog. I don't hate it, but it's nms.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • When I think of Odin I think of Thor and then it's sort of like naming your kid a gods name.  So like Hercules or Zeus.  It's just a bit much IMO. Like what if the poor kid is scrawny?
    Me:29  DH:33
    Married: 3/1/14
    TTC #1: 4/16
    Dx PCOS (Non IR) 10/16
    5mg Femara + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone: 11/16 = BFN
    5mg Femara + 75 IU Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone: 12/16 = BFN
    5mg Femara + 150 IU Gonal-F + Ovidrel +IUI +Progesterone: 1/17 = BFN
    Preparing for IVF - Birth Control: 4/17 Stims: 5/17 
    IVF retrieval 6/17: 21 eggs retrieved, 20 mature.  17 fertilized with ICSI.
    7 blasts biopsied for PGS.  6 Healthy Embryos frozen for FET.
    FET of 1 embryo 7/12
    BFP on 7/17/17 Beta #1 10dpt = 524 Beta #2 12dpt = 1432 US at 5+5 shows healthy baby with heartbeat. Baby girl due 3/30/18 

jessilee15nanner26bainidhedubneverblushed
  • I have a cousin named Odin. At first it really bothered my grandmother because she thought of the dog in Garfield. 
  • I have never heard of a hate group called Odin. I agree with others though, I tink of the Norse god and the dopey dog from Garfield. Neither of which is an association I care for, but the name is becoming more popular regardless.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are a couple Odin's in my son's daycare, so I think it's more popular than people realize. (I only bring that up cause it's a dealbreaker for some)

• I like it and don’t know of the hate group. 
  • kellyi82kellyi82
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited February 18
    Soldiers of Odin is the name of the hate group. 

ETA Soldiers of Odin isn’t limited to Canada, also has some US factions. 
  • I don’t know of any hate group, but I definitely think of Vikings. NMS, but I also wouldn’t judge anyone who used it negatively. 
  • Look up odinism. It is associated with white supremacist groups. 
  • catem07 said:
    I think of Odin Lloyd, the guy who was killed by Aaron Hernandez, the Patriots player. But that wouldn’t be a reason not to choose it. It’s NMS though. 
    Same here. Never heard of the group in Canada.  I think it’s more popular these days because I’ve seen other threads asking about it. 
  • cseley321cseley321
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 24
    I think most people would associate it with Norse mythology. I have never heard of the hate group associated with the name.

I love all things vikings, but naming a kid Odin is just NMS.

• FYI—She was in my BMB and had her baby in December! And he’s not named Odin.
    Me: 27 || DH: 27
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016
    DD - 12/28/17 <3
    Bringmemylongswordho
  • I like it. I'm also a fan of Oren/Orrin, and generally a fan of O names. 
    Odie is a cute nickname for a kid- and also could be used for a kid named Otis, if you want a slightly more common name with the same nn. 
  • MagFranklin13MagFranklin13
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Love Its Photogenic
    edited March 6
    It reminds me of Thor, I think it’s a fine name if you have the guts to use it go for it 
  • The kid is already born and named. Please practice safe necromancy when posting.