August 2018 Moms
Options

Any STMs still Breastfeeding? Let’s talk!

2»

Re: Any STMs still Breastfeeding? Let’s talk!

• Options
    Nursing right now! He’s cut way back at my urging to once and not daily maybe 1/2-2/3? He says there’s still milk and it doesn’t hurt so it’s ok I’m just a bit over it. Once we are through winter I’ll prob finish weaning if he isn’t done first (doubt it)

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    I feel like my supply has gone down, but I definitely haven’t dried up completely. On days I’m home with him (I work part time) it feels like he wants to nurse off and on all day, but that may be because we’re not doing much since I don’t feel great and he is bored.

TMI but he has had some really soft stools the past few days, which I know can happen when colostrum comes in, but it’s too early for that, right? I guess it’s just a coincidence.

I pulled out my Womanly Art of Breastfeeding book to see what it said about tandem nursing.... And there was basically one sentence. The one book they recommend on it is out of print. So I joined a Facebook group. I just feel like there isn’t a lot of information out there on it, but I know people do it... 
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB has asked me to stop nursing. I've been pretty much constantly sick since I got pregnant and they're worried I'm putting to many demands on my body. 

That said we've completely cut out on me feeding him during the day. DS has a cold right now so we're going to wait to cut down on night time feeding until he feels better.

Ideally he'll be weaned by the end of Feb. 
  • Options
    How old is your nursling? 18 months

Do you plan to wean before the next baby comes? If so, when? No I’d like him to wean himself. He does well if we’re apart the whole day or if someone else puts him to bed, but if I’m around, he wants to nurse 3-4 times/day

Do you plan to tandem nurse? Yes, but putting some boundaries around times for DS. I won’t mind nursing him too, but I’d like him to nurse less frequently and for less amount of time. We have several months to get to that point though and if my supply drops in 2nd or 3rd tri, it may help with that a bit. I don’t want to stop him before he’s ready though. 

Any rants/raves thoughts or questions? I’ve night weaned DS within the last month, which has unfortunately coincided with the 18 month sleep regression which is. No. Joke. I’m more concerned about getting him to sleep through the night before the new baby comes
  • Options
    I'm not nursing, but I am still pumping 2x a day, which gets me about 1 bottle a day for him. I stopped nursing him about 2-3 weeks ago, it was just getting to be too much with him squirming and being so active, plus his teeth haha. I have been eating away at my freezer stash to supplement the one bottle a day I manage to pump out.

DS is just about 15 months old and has taken fairly well to cow's milk so he has been getting both each day. Our pediatrician said he was more than fine to stop breastmilk all together so that definitely took the pressure off!

I am so ready to be done and would like a little bit of a break before #2 comes along so I am definitely on my way to stopping with him. He doesn't seem to care at all one way or the other as long as he gets milk in some shape/form.
  • Options
    We cut back to only nights and sometimes early morning, if she wakes up before the sun. My supply has definitely dropped as well, so I'm glad she's good with cutting back a bit. I was getting sore which never happened before being pregnant. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's interesting to see people already having supply drops. I'm pretty sure mine has. My l/o keeps wanting to swap sides all the time. She's still nursing a lot. I do hope she cuts back at least a little I'm so tired.
    @lalala2004 I didn't know that about colostrum. I would have thought it was too early but I guess the drop in supply is about the change in make up of the milk? Maybe.
    @kburg15 Oh no I hope you get some sleep restbite soon!
    @laufisch I wish you all the best. You need to look after yourself too. I'm being sick but luckily not as often as with my first pregnancy. But you are only going to be able to take on and direct so much water!

• Options
    Hearing fewer swallows. DS is drinking more water and eating more food. Feeling like I may dry up completely. He seems content to dry nurse, though. I just wish his diet was a little better. I’m having a hard time eating healthy, so that tends to extend to him! He still want to nurse a lot, and I do worry about if he’ll be OK with sharing, but 6 months is a long time for a toddler, so who knows how it will go.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    Anyone else still nursing their toddler? 

I’ve been dry for awhile, but I think DS might be getting a little colostrum now, I’m just not sure. 

Has as anyone else ever dealt with nursing aversion? It’s really getting to me. I never expected this. I still don’t want to wean, I still want to tandem nurse, but I’m afraid this feel won’t go away, even after DS2 is here. I’m just trying to take a bunch of different kinds of magnesium supplements to see if that will help and hope for the best. 

I told DH enough is enough and he’s taking care of DS’s night wake ups now. This needs to be done before DS2 is here. I would rather deal with one kid at a time at night, and we can’t wait much longer to get DS used to that. 

Anyway, that’s where I’m at, maybe I’m just talking to myself in here, though :lol:
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    @lalala2004 I'm not still nursing but how old is your son?  Nursing or not, I would want the older kid to be STTN before the baby comes.  I can't even imagine trying to get up with 2 kids during the night. 
  • Options
    @lalala2004 I'm not still nursing but how old is your son?  Nursing or not, I would want the older kid to be STTN before the baby comes.  I can't even imagine trying to get up with 2 kids during the night. 
    He’ll be two on May 1st. Of course I want him to be STTN, but he’s not, and I really don’t expect him to be. So DH is taking over and that works for me.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    I weaned earlier this winter largely bc I was very aversion-y and over it. I’d wanted to get through cold and flu season but well oh well. He was sad about it but hasn’t asked in ages. 

Night weaning always goes hand in hand with sttn and sleeping in their own bed for my kids, so if you’ve been nursing at night having your dh handleceake ups might be a good push to sttn. My youngest started sttn at 2 when he got a twin bed (and later stopped and now he’s still up most nights ugh). My oldest was more like 18m and middle closer to 2.5. Which fits in with their personalities too. 

Gl!!! It’ll prob take a few nights of him being pissed to see dad and not you but then it becomes ok - ime at least.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    @pghctwife night one actually went pretty well. DH did bring him to sleep on the couch with him at one point. Sometimes he has used Sesame Street to get him back to sleep, which I don’t like, but at this point I don’t care what he does if he isn’t bringing him to me! He did stay the night with my mom once, which we will keep doing every once in awhile since that’s whats happening when the baby is born. He knows he can get through the night without me, at least!
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    @lalala2004 I hope he transitions well to your DH comforting him at night. We did that too when we cut out the MOTN feeds, and it really helped the relationship between DD and DH--she's not nearly so standoffish with him anymore. We're down to a couple of paci-check wakeups but she generally goes right back down. 

We fully weaned about two weeks ago. I was hesitant to call it "done" but she hasn't asked since day 2. I mostly just redirect her interest to her cup of milk or a snack with cuddles, and wear shirts she can't pull down. 

I was planning on letting her continue for a while yet, but we all came down with a nasty cold and my supply tanked like crazy. She's always gotten frustrated trying to nurse with a stuffy nose, so we've just been going through what's left of my freezer stash mixed with whole milk. 
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    My son isn’t nursing but still doesn’t STTN. When baby gets here I’m envisioning it being me and baby together and then DH and DS together :tired_face:

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I’m still nursing DS at bed time (and occasionally mornings) and he will be 2 in July. I night-weaned him around Xmas. I’m so sore though and I know there isn’t a ton of milk there, but I also definitely know I’m not empty. Does anyone have experience with this? I’ve heard second tri is the worst for nursing and I just keep hoping it gets better pain-wise and I’d do it more often again. I really want him to continue getting bm until he’s 2 at least, If not tandem nurse. 
  • Options
    kburg15 said:
    I’m still nursing DS at bed time (and occasionally mornings) and he will be 2 in July. I night-weaned him around Xmas. I’m so sore though and I know there isn’t a ton of milk there, but I also definitely know I’m not empty. Does anyone have experience with this? I’ve heard second tri is the worst for nursing and I just keep hoping it gets better pain-wise and I’d do it more often again. I really want him to continue getting bm until he’s 2 at least, If not tandem nurse. 
    I imagine this is different for everyone but ime it got better in the 3rd tri is when you start getting colostrum and your nipples are more like, ready lol. I nursed my oldest till a month before number 2 was born and I nursed number 2 very occasionally beyond the birth of number 3. Both times for me it got better early 3rd tri ish

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    @kburg15 unfortunately when it comes to the aversion, I’ve heard that for some it doesn’t go away, even after the baby is born, and that they experience aversion with their toddler but not the newborn. Personally I’m not experiencing pain, it’s just really uncomfortable.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    Thank you both! @pghctwife was it easier to nurse up until delivery or have a break? I’m scared to stop and then have to “start from scratch” so to speak and go through the newborn pain terribly again. I was sore for 6 weeks with DS and I’d like to avoid that if possible (ha I guess wouldn’t we all?)
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    I was just talking about aversion to my friend yesterday. The midwife told her that even though her (2 year old) daughter is weaned that once the new baby comes she could nurse the 2 year old again if they both wanted. I nearly threw up in my mouth. The thought of letting DS anywhere near me in that capacity grosses me out! IDK why, it's so weird. I nursed him for 15 months and I loved it up until the last month or two. Now I am worried that I won't want to nurse the new baby and that it will feel uncomfortable to me :( Hopefully those hormones kick in and I just want to do it like I did last time 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kburg15 said:
    Thank you both! @pghctwife was it easier to nurse up until delivery or have a break? I’m scared to stop and then have to “start from scratch” so to speak and go through the newborn pain terribly again. I was sore for 6 weeks with DS and I’d like to avoid that if possible (ha I guess wouldn’t we all?)
    I’ve been wondering this, too. I assume a newborns latch is probably not going to be the best with the smaller mouth, but surely it will be at least a little easier? Hopefully?
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    @lalala2004 that’s my hope! I’ll take any prep I can get! 
  • Options
    Meh I don’t think so. I think the pain for me early on was more from tongue ties and therefore a crummy latch. Less about my Nipples than his latch... 

im trying to remember with my first since I obviously hadn’t ever nursed before and he wasn’t tied... I think with him it was a little uncomfortable, like a kitten scratchy licks kinda. I only experienced PAIN with my tongue tied babies, personally (and once revised it went away)

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    You also have more experience too and can probably better help baby get a better position, better latch etc too. That will help more than anything else I’ll bet

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    I had to go to EPing in February (DD2 is 10 months now) with formula supplementing my fresh and frozen pumped milk, because I wasn't making enough in a day for her anymore and it was causing her to start waking MOTN again out of actual hunger.  As soon as I accepted it and started supplementing she started STTN again.

I pump weaned a few weeks ago when I was down to only getting about an ounce each session.  I have enough frozen for her to get breastmilk in her morning bottle until she turns 1 and formula the rest of the day.  I think I was sadder about it than she was, she had gotten so annoyed about my supply that bottles were very welcome.  And this is my baby that almost completely rejected bottles for the first month of daycare!  She took to the formula as if it was no different from the breastmilk so that was a relief.  Wish she could have nursed longer (DD1 went to 18 months), but it is what it is.
  • Options
    I'm still nursing. Not finding it easy though but definitley still have supply. She's actually had a tummy bug recently and stopped eating food and wanted to feed all the time. It's definitley become painful again which I don't think I was expected. 
    Because she can't have formula I don't think I can stop unless she makes that call herself without a ton of guilt. 
    What's causing me most issue is trying to get her to stay still and not climb all over my bump. She just doesn't understand.
    Humph