February 2018 Moms
Options

35 and over Moms- December

I remembered to start a new month!!

Re: 35 and over Moms- December

• Options
    What does everyone's appointment schedule look like now???  I had my 30 week check up yesterday.  No complications and everything looks good but starting in week 32 I will have 2 ultrasounds a week until he is born bc I am AMA.  Then I see the doctor weekly in addition to that starting week 36.  Anyone else doing that many US this early???
  • Options
    Can't believe it's December 1 already! I'm due in 2 months!!! 

@chucksmom15 I started having that many US/appts this week (31wks). I have GD and am medicated for it, I'm up to 2 appointments with MFM plus 1 appointment w/ my OB every week. Fridays are growth scans, and Tuesdays measures heart rate, breathing, and fluid. Let's just say I will have a lot of pictures of the kiddo through this pregnancy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m going 2x/month now, but it may end up being more. I pulled muscles in back back last night while coughing after water went down the wrong way (wtf?!). If Tylenol and heat don’t work after the weekend, they told me to call to make an appt. I also have GD (not medicated) and I’m having trouble getting my fasting #s below 100. Waiting on a call from the nutritionist now and hoping I don’t have to go in. Next week is supposed to be my first full week at work in over a month.
  • Options
    Currently I'm seeing my regular OB once a month and MFM once a month for an ultrasound to check growth and my cervix/cerclage. I go next week for my 28 week appointment so I guess I will find out how often I go back. 
  • Options
    I feel like my OB is very laid back compared to everyone else. I have my appt on Monday and am still going every 4 weeks until 36 weeks, and I’m delivering at 39. My OB mentioned one more US but I’m not sure when. I’ll ask on Monday. I’m wondering if despite my age, since all my pregnancies have been uneventful (all three while AMA) they aren’t too worried?  I don’t know. Baby is active so I’m not too concerned at this point. 

I personally have been having a rough time lately. Not sure if it’s hormones, stress or what but I really need a break and I don’t see one in sight.  I love my family but I feel like every time we’re together I screw thongs up and I end up in tears. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!!  

@karcerplus3 can you do something small for yourself like go get a massage?  Anything that might help you de-stress??  Don't be too hard on yourself.  I think we all have days we feel like that.  The hormones are doing all kinds of crazy stuff to us all.
  • Options
    @chucksmom15 - I see my Ob every 2 weeks starting Dec 4, then every week in February until baby comes. I am not sure when my next U/S is, but she did say I would get one sometime in 3rd trimester. 

@karcerplus3 - hoping you get a much needed break! I love getting mani/pedis, shopping, or eating ice cream to de-stress. The suggestion for a massage is a good one, too!

I also passed the 3-hour glucose test! Yay! Now off to get some cookies. National Cookie Day is on Monday, but I'm going to celebrate early!

• Options
    Thanks ladies!  I’m sure DH will tell me to get out of the house this weekend. I’d love a mani/pedi. Something where I can just sit there and have everyone around me do the work. 
  • Options
    @kacerplus3 I agree with PPs. Do something small for yourself and don’t beat yourself up over interactions with family. 

Congrats on passing @jennifer_m21! Please have a cookie for me :)

The dietician called back and she spoke with the high risk team. Since my fasting glucose numbers keep going up in the am, they want to start me on meds (probably insulin).  So much for my full week at work :/
  • Options
    @babybro218 I treated myself to two cookies! Double chocolate mint and a S'mores cookie from Insomnia Cookies. Sorry to hear about your glucose numbers!!
  • Options
    Hooray @jennifer_m21! Great news :-) 

@babybro218 Sorry to hear about the fasting numbers, those are so hard. They put me on metformin for it, as I'm trying to avoid insulin, though insulin is the "best" choice among ways to manage it. Whatever they choose for you, hope it helps!

Just got back from a measurement US. Kiddo is at 58th percentile at 3lbs 12oz, and everything's looking totally normal so far, hooray! And my doc gave me kudos for managing weight well - can't say I've ever heard that from a doctor in my life lmao. 
  • Options
    Congrats on passing @jennifer_m21!!

Sorry to hear about your fasting numbers @babybro218.  Maybe they will let you take MetFormin.  I hate needles so insulin sounds like it would not be fun.

Yay for a positive comment about weight @clc515!  We don't get them often!

You definitely need to treat yourself to a mani and a pedi @karcerplus3.  Your stress levels being down are just as important as all the other aspects of yourself.  Enjoy it!!
  • Options
    @clc515 those are my two choices. I’m planning to do some research this weekend. Out of curiosity, why are you trying to avoid insulin? 

@chucksmom15 Have you had experience with MetFormin, too? After 7 rounds of IVF, I’m a total pin cushion and don’t have a problem with needles anymore ;)
  • Options
    @clc515 those are my two choices. I’m planning to do some research this weekend. Out of curiosity, why are you trying to avoid insulin? 

@chucksmom15 Have you had experience with MetFormin, too? After 7 rounds of IVF, I’m a total pin cushion and don’t have a problem with needles anymore ;)
    I take 1500 MG every day for my insulin resistance.  I've been taking it for almost 3 years now.  You have to start with 500 MG and build up but it keeps all my levels in check.  My OB and Endocrinologist want me to stay on it for the duration of the pregnancy.
  • Options
    Well I will officially be able to start checking in with this thread as I turn 35 on the 19th. I have already finished my every 4 week appointments and am now at every other week. 

With DD, around 30-32 weeks my BP started creeping up and protein started showing up in my urine. So we are keeping a nice eye on those levels. I had to do NSTs once a week and had an ultrasound about the same frequency. 

My OB is pretty relaxed about advanced maternal age when her patients turn 35 during a pregnancy. 

• Options
    I'm now on every two weeks, but they're all quick check in type appointments except for the sono I get next time to make sure my placenta has moved away from my cervix. Are regular ultrasounds later in the trimester meant to be a thing? 
  • Options
    I just switched to every two weeks.  My OB said I’ll have two more U/Ss, at least.  I forget when because I can’t remember anything anymore.  I asked about the perinatologist telling me 2x a week scans.  She said they review my files with him, but she doesn’t think that will be necessary.  She said he’s used over 40 women that need to see him that often.  That I had to see him because LO was being uncooperative was a one off.

i also asked about flying because I do that for work.  I need to write everything down!  She said either 34, 35 or 36 weeks.  But was also talking about some airlines won’t allow women past something in that range anyway.  I just told my manager I’m currently grounded at 35 weeks and made myself a note so I can remember that at least.
  • Options
    I'm on every 2 week appointments now and will start regular US at 32 weeks to check amniotic fluid levels. I'm tentatively scheduled for a c-section Feb 15th at 39 weeks but my OB may move that up if it looks like anything is wonky. He hasn't said anything about growth scans or anything like that. I'll start weekly appts at 36 weeks unless he wants to see me sooner.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options

I'm kind of a big baby and don't do well with needles. I still can't look at my finger when I'm poking it to test sugars. I may still end up on insulin if I reach max dose (2000/day) and my #s don't stay low. When I was on glyburide my fasting #s were always in a good range, but doc said recent studies basically rank that 3rd on the list of options because it affects baby more than insulin (does not cross into placenta) or metformin (very minor effects). 
  • Options
    babybro218babybro218 member
    edited December 2017
    Thanks @clc515 and @chucksmom15 I just had my appt with MFM and we decided to go with a very low dose of Insulin for now and see how it goes. As a result, I’m now on Biweekly appts with 2 extra growth scans. Will also be starting non-stress tests a couple weeks earlier and will have to do them 2x/week (instead of 1) for the last few weeks. I guess it’s time to stop being so liberal with those sick days I saved. 

The drs and nurses at the practice have been so amazing, except I found Out today that I have Marginal cord insertion, A fact the Dr. forgot to mention at our 20 week anatomy scan. Everything with baby seems great, so I’m thankful, but it would have been nice to know?

ETA: I’m now trying not to freak out about the marginal cord insertion. I made The mistake of googling it and I’m trying not to let myself go down the rabbit hole.
  • Options
    @babybro218 Eek google is the worst sometimes, right! It's like sometimes I wish I just didn't know anything at all and suddenly one day there's a baby lol.

Is the insulin a big needle or not? My doc hasn't been pushing it at all since he knows I dont like needles, but if it's a tiny one like the finger pricks, I could totally deal with that probably. 
  • Options
    Have they been monitoring your cord insertion and just not telling you @babybro218?  How strange that they didn't mention it.  
  • Options
    @chucksmom15 I haven’t had an ultrasound since the Fetal echo cardio gram at 24 weeks and no one has ever said anything about it to us. DH and I were Completely in shock when the nurse mentioned it today. I have A call in to the practice to get more info now that we’ve had time to process it and we’re (I am) kind of freaking out. Is it possible that there are degrees to this and mine is only slightly off?? It doesn’t help that DH is traveling for work this week and I’m home processing all of this alone. 

@clc515 I haven’t actually opened a needle yet. I can Tell that it is bigger than the lancets for monitoring, but maybe as thin. definitely not a huge needle. 
  • Options
    @babybro218 & @clc515 my husband's client is type 2 diabetic and I can assure you that insulin needles are teeny tiny.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    Y'all have had a busy December so far - lots going on in here!  

@babybro218 Fingers crossed they tell you the cord issue is minor and they're just being cautious.  

29 week checkup went well yesterday.  I've only gained a half pound in the last two weeks and was pleased with that.  I've been having a lot of reflux at night and nausea during the day so my appetite has really decreased.  Guess my body knew what it was doing and packed it on during the second tri in preparation.  I'm on a two week visit schedule until 36 weeks and then move to weekly.  She told me they'd do another US at 32 weeks and send me 'upstairs for monitoring'.  I assume that means fetal stress tests and the like.  

Got the Pertussis shot yesterday so it feels like I was punched in the arm.  I was super fatigued afterward and noticed the baby moving less too.  Things perked back up after breakfast this morning so I'm not worried but thought it was interesting how we both reacted.

Did anyone see this morning's news article that the CDC gambled on the wrong strain of the flu virus so this year's vaccine is only about 10% effective?  Sounds like the flu is spreading rapidly already too so be extra careful ladies, whether you had the vaccine or not.  I foresee a lot of staying home in my future.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @fatted_calf!
    I hadn’t seen the news about the CDC report. Awesome (Ugh). DH is going to be gloating about that for days. He’s not a fan of the flu shot.
  • Options
    @babybro218 My DH was planning to get a flu shot soon but now I'm not sure he should even bother.  I guess it can't hurt to have even that 10% protection but it sounds like avoiding concentrations of people & lots of hand washing would be just as effective.  So easy during the holidays, huh?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @fatted_calf I have so much hand sanitizer in my classroom it’s ridiculous. All of that additional time I need To take off for monitoring now is sounding like a good thing.
  • Options
    Got my tdap yesterday and wow is my arm sore. Found out that I’m going every two weeks now and I’ll have another US at 35-36 for measurements.  they are going to allow the boys to go and see the baby on the screen.  They are going to be so excited!
  • Options
    @babybro218 I have velamentous cord insertion, which is basically a step beyond the marginal version.  So I'm right there with you with the worrying!

I've probably read everything there is to read on the internet about it at this point, but my understanding is that the main concern is if the placenta is low lying it can cause vasa previa which can be very dangerous if not managed (but easily managed via c-section).  I'm also getting monthly ultrasounds to monitor growth.  The other thing my doctor mentioned is that they may have to "manually extract" the placenta if it doesn't come out easily after birth.  He described it as "a bit unpleasant", which I'm interpreting to mean "really horrible" since you're dealing with someone who has just given birth.  He also mentioned greater possibility of needing a c-section, so I'm preparing mentally for that possibility as well.

There is a lot of concern on the internet about the cord snapping during childbirth, but in looking at some of the research that has been done that seems to be extremely rare.  Not that it's stopping me from worrying, but it's good to know that the odds are overwhelmingly in our favor for a safe delivery.
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • Options
    Thank you so much for that information @awb1216 !  I'm sorry you have to worry about this, too.  I talked to a family friend who is a midwife last night and she was very reassuring that it's just a deviation from normal which is why they are even mentioning it.  Of course, this morning I'm back to worrying and slightly annoyed that it's been almost 24 hrs since I put a call into our practice and no one has called me back.  
  • Options
    @fatted_calf he may want to still get it, I am pretty sure even if the strains are not a good match getting the vaccination could reduce the severity of illness if he does get it. So there's still potential benefit.
  • Options
    Manually extracting anything does not sound pleasant @awb1216!!  
  • Options
    Thanks @rainafire77. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to go the insulin route. I have til Friday to see if the numbers get better. 

I seriously need to stock up on some sanitizer given the news about the flu vaccine. The other night, the lady sitting next to me on the subway was coughing and rubbing her runny nose and I basically turned my back to her. Don't want to be a hermit but I definitely don't want to get sick!
  • Options
    @clc515 the insulin needle was SO tiny. Really almost the same as the testing needle, but hurts less bc you inject in a fattier area.
  • Options
    @atalante That's a very good point!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Had my first Biophysical profile yesterday.  That's what they are doing at my two times a week US.  He gets a score from 0-8.  He got an 8 out of 8 yesterday.  As long as his score is high he stays in.  Not sure what score would qualify us to go to the hospital. Will have to ask that on Friday.  He wouldn't let her see my cervix so I had to get a transvaginal US for the last part.  Boo on that!!
  • Options
    Y'all have had a busy December so far - lots going on in here!  

@babybro218 Fingers crossed they tell you 

Did anyone see this morning's news article that the CDC gambled on the wrong strain of the flu virus so this year's vaccine is only about 10% effective?  Sounds like the flu is spreading rapidly already too so be extra careful ladies, whether you had the vaccine or not.  I foresee a lot of staying home in my future.

I haven't checked in with my AMA group ladies for a bit. But our school secretary tested positive for the flu on Tuesday and I talked to her Monday....great. 
    I didn't get the flu shot though... 
  • Options
    Oh no @Chawk17!  Hopefully you don't get the flu
  • Options
    Oh no @Chawk17!  Hopefully you don't get the flu
    Me too, fingers crossed we all escape the flu this year.