November 2017 Moms

FTM Check In - 11/27

For those Mama's still awaiting the arrival of their LO:
1) How far along are you?

2) Any appointments this week or last week? How did it go?
3) Cravings/symptoms?
4) Rants/raves/concerns?
5) Anything else you want to add/ask?

For those new Mama's who have already had their baby(ies):
1) How many days/weeks post-partum are you?
3) For nursing moms, how are feedings going?  Baby reacting to any particular foods?
4) For formula-feeding moms, how are feedings going? Have you had to switch formulas at all?
5) How're you doing with the visitors?
6) Rants/raves/concerns?
7) Anything else you want to add/ask?

GTKY for everyone:  How did the holidays go?

Re: FTM Check In - 11/27

• For those new Mama's who have already had their baby(ies):
    4 weeks

nothing last week, but the 1mo appt is this Thursday.  I'm really curious to see how big she's gotten! 

3) For nursing moms, how are feedings going?  Baby reacting to any particular foods?  
    Nursing is going fairly well.  She feeds on a 2-3hr interval, but the 3wk marks definitely was rough.  Hello cluster feeding on the hour.  I started pumping 10 days ago.  Yeah, I feel like a cow while pumping.  Not exactly fun.  But it was a nice surprise to realize the medical device company sent me the Spectra S1 (the mobile version), not the S2! (And did't charge me te difference; my ins only covered the S2.)  Today we tried bottle feeding  or the first time.  That went so-so.  It seems like even the newborn slow-flow bottle nipples release much more fluid than do my breasts, so our little girl was having a tough time swallowing too much liquid.  But ... should I be pumping every time she feeds during the day? Talk about time suck.  Right now I'm pumping 1x per day, and have 5 more weeks off before returning to work.

4) For formula-feeding moms, how are feedings going? Have you had to switch formulas at all?

The stream of family visitors is slowing down, thankfully.  Also a rant, but I really just want my mother to make up her bloody mind as to when she is coming!  She was supposed to come for Thanksgiving, but didn't.  She had kidney stone removal surgery the week our baby was born, and ended up having to take almost a week off of work for the recovery.  (Part of my frustration is that I expected her to need several days to recover, and encouraged her to schedule the surgery for the day before she came to visit so she would have the recovery time built into her schedule, which she refused to do.  She's a fitness professional and personal trainer, for context.)  Because she unexpectedly cancelled so many of her fitness classes, she opted to stay home for Thanksgiving and recoup some goodwill with the managers of the gyms she works at.  Combine that with her stubborn insistence that the new live-in beau be with her when she visits the baby (despite the exhorbitant extra cost for airfare), her refusal to drive, and we have drama. PICK A DAMN WEEKEND TO VISIT! I'm running out of time before my maternity leave ends.  

6) Rants/raves/concerns?
      I had a moment two days ago with my husband.  I was fairly active and on my feet a lot last week during the holidays (cooking, visiting, getting the Christmas tree, and getting out for walks).  I think I over-did it.  My bleeding had almost gone away through last week, but it came back with a vengeance after all the activity.  I was also dead tired after a night of cluster feeding. I said as much to my husband and told him I really needed to spend the afternoon staying off my feet as much as I could, while still being the primary caregiver for the baby.  Sure! He says.  So what ended up happening? He asked me for laundry, and dinner, and desert, and could I do XYZ chore ... all on my feet.  What happened to letting me take it easy! [end rant]

We started interviewing potential nannies this week as well.  Mixed so far.  But for this cost, I am glad we live in Maine now and not still in MA.  Definitely much, much, much more affordable here.

After all the drama of "is my mom visiting", we ended up spending the day with my husband's cousins.  It was wonderful.  And they actually accommodated my food allergies, so I was able to eat everything but the mashed potatoes.  It was so good.  I haven't had that many food options for Thanksgiving in 13 years.  Thank goodness for maternity pants post-partum.  ;)
  • For those Mama's still awaiting the arrival of their LO:
    40+3
    2) Any appointments this week or last week? How did it go? I had an appointment and an ultrasound this morning. Baby got a perfect score on the ultrasound, so that was great. All healthy and fluids are good. Still not dilated, but about 50% effaced and cervix has been soft. Induction is scheduled to start early Friday morning at 41 weeks if the babe doesn't come on its own by then.
    3) Cravings/symptoms? I feel quite good aside from feeling like my belly is going to burst. Plenty of symptoms at this point obviously, but whatever. I can still go for walks and get things done around the house, so I'm fine.
    4) Rants/raves/concerns? I'm grumpy about having to be induced if things don't happen in the next couple days. I was really, really looking forward to an unmedicated/untethered labor. But fortunately I've had the past week to start mentally preparing for it, and even though I'm disappointed I am starting to accept it. This baby is definitely big and I'd rather be induced at 41 weeks than have a higher risk of a c-section at 42 weeks.
    5) Anything else you want to add/ask?
    GTKY for everyone:  How did the holidays go? Thanksgiving was nice. It was just me and my husband since we couldn't travel and our families are not in the area. We really enjoyed having one holiday with just the two of us. We also went out the day after to get our little Christmas tree and got our decorations put up, so our home feels nice and cozy and Christmas-y now. :)
  • Loading the player...

5 weeks. Can't believe it! 

He had a hip ultrasound yesterday which came back clear! He has a check up on Friday and i can't wait to see how much he weighs.

BFing is doing great. He also takes two bottles a day from DH with a little formula and a vitamin mixed in. No nipple confusion which is great. He loves to eat. Last week he was pretty fussy with a distended tummy so I was getting nervous but he seems to be moving things through better the last couple of days.
    fine - my family is out of town and won't be coming til Christmas time. DH family is small and very respectful so it's been easy. 
    6) Rants/raves/concerns?

great! It was a low key Thanksgiving at my ILs. We got our Christmas tree up and house decorated over the weekend. My DD (4) is so excited for Christmas. She decorated her room and Elf on the Shelf is helping with some of the behavioral and sleep issues we've been having. I'm looking forward to having an extra special Christmas this year.
  • For those Mama's still awaiting the arrival of their LO:
    @YesOuiCan and i look to be holding up the still pregnant contingent!

1) How far along are you? i am 40 weeks on thursday!
    2) Any appointments this week or last week? How did it go?  had my midwife appointment today - they did a cervix check and said that it was soft but i'm not dilated and he isn't yet engaged in my pelvis.  i am trying to not be discouraged/worried - i have been having lots of anxiety of just wanting him OUT and SAFE.  ah!  i came home and cried hard for about 30 minutes and feel better now.  ah hormones.
    3) Cravings/symptoms?  acid reflux, insomnia, shortness of breath.  the usual. 
    4) Rants/raves/concerns? see above - eeps!
    5) Anything else you want to add/ask? i wanna hear how everyone and their bambinos are doing!  that's bout all. 
  • 1) How many days/weeks post-partum are you?  1 week
    had her first pediatric appointment. Went well. She is already back up to birth weight...probably because my chunkier likes to eat (as my nipples are so sore)! 
    going well overall. Still struggling a bit with latch on the left side and the nipple is super sensitive. 
    only my MIL had visited so far which we are happy with since we wanted time as a family together. My parents will be arriving on Friday though to stay for 2 weeks.
    6) Rants/raves/concerns? 
    Our LO slept so well last night from 11pm-8am, only asking every 2-3 hours to feed. 
    Nope
    Uneventful lol. We were in the hospital on Thanksgiving.
  • @dragonfly87-2 - I hear you on the site nipples. I would highly recommend the “Earth Mama Angel Baby” nipple balm.  Even though I feel like I need it less, I still use it regularly to keep the skin from getting tender. If you have any cracking or the tenderness gets worse, there is a prescriptive ointment your doctor/midwife can order for you.  It is a steroid ointment, but a *very* little goes a long way.  It is a miracle worker.  2-3 days use, and the cracked nipples healed right up. 
  • Question: have any of you noticed a huge weight loss in the first week post-partum? 

Definitely not trying to lose weight and I know my LO was 7.7lbs of it, but I just stepped on the scale for the heck of it this morning. At 1 week post-partum, I have lost 21 lbs. I am breastfeeding and I try to snack often (though I could be better at it), but I am quite surprised at the sudden weight drop so quickly.
  • @dragonfly87-2 No experience with being post-partum for me yet, but I've been told by my doula and a couple other people to expect to lose about 20 pounds in the first week. There's the baby's weight, plus the placenta, blood, fluids, water weight... and then all the energy you're using with breastfeeding.
  • @dragonfly87-2 - I waited till almost 3 weeks to weigh myself, but by then I lost all but 2lbs of the baby weight. (Granted, I only gained 25lbs to begin with.) I started exercising after that, post-natal yoga and walks. I was a bit overweight when I got pregnant. Even still, I am trying to make sure I eat enough to keep up my milk supply. 
    3 weeks 2 days

No appointments ..however the public health nurse is stopping by Friday to weigh and check over baby Kara.

Feedings are going well she eat every 3 hours and the last few nights she has gone 4 hours between some feedings.

We haven't had a lot of visitors the last couple of weeks however we did go spend 4 days with my mom last week.

6) Rants/raves/concerns?
    I love getting baby cuddles!!

7) Anything else you want to add/ask? Nope

I live in Canada so no holiday here but I did get some shopping in with all the sales.
  • I feel like our board has officially been deserted/died.....it's kind of sad :(
  • @dragonfly87-2 I am still here.  I am just generally terrible at posting so I'm no help.  It is sad that there isn't much activity but hopefully that means everyone is getting lots of baby snuggles.  
  • I’m still here too!!!  We should come up with some new weekly threads to revive things. I have lots of pumping time every day to fill 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• I am still here also and would love some new weekly threads. I have been trying to think of some the last couple of days. Some ideas I had were "you know your a new mom when" (so things like.... it wasn't until 3 yesterday I realized I didn't brush my teeth cause LO started crying and I got side tracked) or "Todays Wins with a LO"  ( so little things like she slept for 4.5 hours last night instead of her regular 3). 
  • Love those ideas @kdw89
  • Chiming in to say I'm here (just re-introed) and would love to participate in discussions (staying up all night with a baby who refuses to sleep anywhere other than in your arms gets rather lonely). I'm also happy to take responsibility for posting some of the weekly threads :smile:
  • 1) How many days/weeks post-partum are you? 1 week 3 days
    Had her first pediatric appointment last Saturday. The pediatricians were concerned because baby girl had lost 9% of her birth weight before we left the hospital. As of Saturday she had gained back 1.5 oz, which the doctor was pleased with. It also made sense because my milk had just come in that Friday. Next appointment is next Tuesday and I'm really curious to see if baby girl is back to her birth weight.
    Feedings are going really well. I had a lot of pain at the beginning due to a bad latch, but we got that cleared up and things are great (aside from the 3-6am cluster feeding)
    we haven't had too many. DH's parents have come by a few times and they're really helpful. My coworker/friend came by one evening to help clean/occupy baby while we got some things done. It was super helpful, but I think the best part was just having another adult to interact with.
    6) Rants/raves/concerns? 
    SLEEP. We aren't getting any. Baby hates the bassinet and will only sleep in our arms. I feel like we've tried everything--swaddling, white noise machine, the "Baby Shusher", laying a small cloth that smells like me next to her--nothing works. She screams bloody murder in the bassinet. It's been really hard and doesn't seem to be getting better. 
    Anyone have sleep tips? We're desperate. Or maybe just some reassurance that this won't last forever and she will get past it.

We were in the hospital, so no Thanksgiving for us. I did do my fair share of Black Friday/Cyber Monday online shopping, however...
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited December 2017
    @ladymeowmeow2 welcome back. Sorry to hear about the sleep troubles. Have you tried baby wearing and taking shifts? DH and I struggled with this last week when LO was a few days old...until she got above birth weight. I would wear her in my Boba wrap so she could sleep and I could at least get things done. Then, I would sleep from 8pm-2am (waking only to feed) while DH stayed awake with her. I then would take over from 2am-8am so DH could sleep. It wasn't perfect, but it let us both get some sleep and keep our sanity. 
  • I'm still here! Can't participate in the new mama discussions yet, but hopefully soon. :) I'm at the hospital right now for induction. They are drilling directly above my room all day, which is suuuuper awesome and relaxing. Grumble grumble.
  • @ladymeowmeow2 do you have ave a crib? My LO would cry everytime we out him in the bassinet and we were doing crazy. Then I randomly Put him in his crib and bam! He went to sleep. Now that's where he sleeps. I couldn't believe it. I was upset at first because I wanted him in our room at least for a few months but if that's where he prefers to be, then we just go with it. We also use the baby shusher for white noise. He seems to like that too and I think it tells him "it's bedtime now"
  • @YesOuiCan FX your induction goes well and you get to meet your LO soon! 
  • @YesOuiCan
    good luck with your induction!! We have had a few rough ones around here so wishing you all the best 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• Thanks @dragonfly87-2 and @DungeonTrollMel! So far so good... Hopefully things will continue to go well. I was 3+ cm dilated and apparently having contractions when I arrived (? I haven't been feeling them though) so I guess I had a bit of a head start. I know anything could happen, though.
  • @YesOuiCan that's about where I was and all they had to do was give me Cervadil and my water broke on its own a couple hours later and I progressed fast on my own from there. Fingers crossed it goes like that for you!
  • @dragonfly87-2 Yes, we've been using the Boba and take shifts. I think one thing I've been doing wrong is not taking advantage of sleeping more in the daytime. This baby clearly still has her nights and days flipped and I think I just need to come to terms with the fact that I can't change that and need to adapt to her  schedule rather than thinking I can make her fit mine. 

@mymulligan We have a crib but it's in her nursery. I don't think I'd be comfortable this early in the game not having mom or dad sleep in the same room with baby, but I'm willing to try anything at this point! If she happens to like it we could probably move the crib into our bedroom.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! 

Good luck @YesOuiCan! Hoping you have baby in your arms soon!
  • happy to see a bit of a thread revival!  guessing i may be the last on this board to deliver ... @YesOuiCan thinking happy baby & delivery thoughts for you!  so exciting !!!!!!!

For those Mama's still awaiting the arrival of their LO:
    40+1 (wah!)
    2) Any appointments this week or last week? How did it go? my midwife appointment was okay.  had a cervix check done - soft but not dilated.  if bambino isn't here i have a midwife appointment on tuesday where we will discuss options and next steps!
    3) Cravings/symptoms?  the same odd sleeping issues - now i'm up at 5am for no good reason, some anxiety about labour, wicked heart burn and swollen hands, very hot all the time!
    4) Rants/raves/concerns?  i have been worried about birth and really just want my baby safe in my arms when he decides to make an appearance
    5) Anything else you want to add/ask?  any last minute advice for dealing with the bonkers-ness that is labour?

so lovely to see all these updates from everyone.  i'm definitely into keeping up with the board as i know i will have some lonely late nights ahead!
    6 days
    Had her 1st pedi appointment on Wednesday; it went okay. LO wasn't gaining weight like she wants her to, so I had to start freding more often and supplement with extra milk. 
    Feedings are going good. LO latches easily and eats good. 
    My mom came and stayed 2 nights, which was a life saver, amd my inlaws were hre today so DH and I could get some rest.
    6) Rants/raves/concerns?
    I'm just so tired. LO has not been sleeping much between feedings every 2 hours so I'm not getting much sleep either.

We spent Thanksgiving with our neighbors since I didn't want to be away from home in case I went into labor. 
  • @YesOuiCan any news?!?  have been eagerly awaiting !!!!!!! 
    in other news ... i'm still knocked up and baby is taking his sweet time.  am i the last one who hasn't had their baby?  i think so!
    doing all the induction things and getting a little freaked at nipple stimulation and how effective it seems.

• @ladymeowmeow2 Checking back to see if you've had any luck in the sleeping department? I'm 7 weeks in and my baby still won't sleep at night unless I'm holding him.  I've tried everything too and hoping you may have found something that works and can share. Thanks!!
  • @jtothel Thanks for checking! I'm so sorry you're still having to hold him to get him to sleep. Since I posted in this thread things have definitely gotten better but still aren't great. I don't know if it's that I "found something that works" or she just got older. 

We've tried SO many different things it's almost ridiculous. We realized she was having a lot of gas/reflux so that made an impact. Most nights she will sleep for a 3-5 hour stretch between 10-4. The rest of the night is hit or miss though. (That being said, last night we were up every 2 hours.) We gave up on the bassinet and switched to a co-sleeper that sits in the bed next to me and has a slight incline. That was better for a couple nights but then went downhill. Then we switched to the Rock and Play, which has an even steeper incline and makes her a little more "snug." Meanwhile, I've tried about 4 different kinds of swaddles. One was the Love to Dream Swaddle Up, which holds her arms up rather than down. I had high hopes, but I wouldn't say this worked any better than the other traditional swaddles. After that first longer stretch of sleep, she seems to fight the swaddle for the rest of the night. I've tried not doing the swaddle or only swaddling around her chest and having her arms out, but she startles herself awake every time. I think the only reason she's able to sleep in the swaddle for the first long stretch is because she's tired enough. After that middle of the night feeding I just can't get her to fall back into that same deep sleep. I've tried skipping the diaper change because that seems to make her more awake, but it didn't make a difference.

Honestly, most nights she ends up unswaddled and on my chest in bed. That's the only way we can get sleep for the rest of the night. I wish we weren't doing this, but it's the only way to keep my sanity right now.
  • @ladymeowmeow2 Thanks so much for the reply. I can totally relate! I too tried to skip the diaper change in the middle of the night to see if it made a difference and I agree that it really didn't. So funny how we are willing to try anything! I had a couple 4 hour stretches last week (at the beginning of the night..after that it's more like 2-3) and I was convinced things were getting better but all of a sudden these past few nights it's been back to every 2 or 2 1/2 hours max.... I'm just hoping it gets better like everyone keeps telling me. I'm just nervous bc I go back to work in a couple weeks and I'm not sure how this is going to play out. There is no way he's going to nap in a crib there!! LOL
  • NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited January 2018
    @ladymeowmeow2 I could have written your post, but add dairy intolerance to the reflux. He won't stay in the cosleeper or Rock N Play. Sometimes he wakes up because he startles and sometimes it's gas. He won't let us swaddle his arms in and he overheats, so sometimes he's only in a diaper when he's in bed with us. He also won't take a bottle now. Hopefully it gets better as they get older and once he starts Zantac next week.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • We just switched LO to the Magic Merlin Sleepsuit. We had good luck with my DD in it and baby is doing well in it now!! As soon as we put him in it, he usually calms down. He’s been sleeping great in it in his crib/PnP. 
  • Man that love to dream swaddle made things so much worse. He could move his feet way too much and would kick until he threw up. We have had good success with the swaddle me wraps. He slept exclusively in his RnP until this week and we are transitioning to the PnP. I put a towel under one end to help incline and reflux since he hates laying flat. Some nights he makes it until morning and others we bring the swing in around 4am because he’s so gassy and wiggles too much with all the space 
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• @NYTino24 LO has been having runny green stools for a week so the pediatrician had me cut out dairy for the time being. We have to bring in stool samples today to get tested to confirm an allergy. She also started Zantac a week ago but we haven’t seen any improvement yet. It’s rough. Sorry you’re going through this, too. Hopefully we both get some relief soon!