May 2018 Moms

Mental Health Check-In (Week of 11/27)

Are we still doing these? Hoping I didn't miss a post/poll where we voted them off the board. Otherwise, it's been a while, so I wanted to give everyone a chance to safely share questions, concerns, thoughts, updates, etc. 

I can kick things off by saying that my husband and I have a 16-week ultrasound coming up towards the end of this week 
(I believe my provider does two anatomy scans and that this is the first), and I am feeling so, so anxious. I get nervous before every ultrasound and appointment, just dreading that something will have gone wrong. This one's especially stressing me out, as I've been having cramping for the past couple days. Not severe, so trying to tell myself it's just my uterus stretching. 

Re: Mental Health Check-In (Week of 11/27)

• Loading the player...
  • I’m having a hard time too. Though it’s only peripherally about this baby. I SAH but it doesn’t suit me. DH makes more than I ever could but housework is just so unsatifying to me. Why did I bother going to college for ages just to spend all my days doing an endless repeate of the same chores? And you can say, hire someone to clean and get a job! But then a) then I don’t get to raise my own kids and b) managing other people is still work and two parent working families seem super slammed all the time, even with help, I’m not sure it would be worth it. My DHs job is just so stressful, he can’t do any more.
    I work, and I’m pretty sure I “raise my own kids”. 
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited November 2017
    @holli0801 last winter I did have a situation similar to that but for various reasons it fell apart in the spring. And now I’m feeling so tired and mushy brained that it seems too hard. I have a MS too and it’s been really tough finding projects I can do PT that seem worth doing. My older is also VERY spirited. It makes most everything harder. And now I’ll have a new one in May who I will want to be 100% with for a while, so I think I just need to get through it for a while. 

@Ceridwen77 can we please not start that debate? I truely did not mean it as a value judgement, I’m just trying to find the right balance for myself.
    Hey, you’re the one that said you wouldn’t be raising your kids if you worked. So don’t throw it back at me for “starting a debate”. Finding your own balance is great, but try not putting others down while doing so. 
  • @theletlers thank you for saving me from taking things farther off track. And @Ceridwen77 I’m not and haven’t put you down. If you really, really want to throw down about this fine, make a new thread, but let’s not do that here.
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited November 2017
    As the person who started these threads originally, I think it’s safe to assume that I am dealing with things too @theletlers

Could it be possible that the statement made by @Pearlvirus is a trigger for point me?

I’ll walk away now because this is obviously not productive. And no I don’t want to “throw down” and start another thread about this. 
  • I typically don't participate in this thread as I have no diagnosis but do read the thread and I was also offended by what @Pearlvirus said so maybe @Ceridwen77 wanted to just ask for people to think about how we say things.
  • I don’t think it was meant to be said the way it came across, and the flippancy was definitely taken in a hurtful way. There is just better wording for why people find staying at home to be a better choice. Saying “I want to be the sole caregiver” rings slightly better than “I want to raise my kids.” 

I’m mostly a sahm but that’s more to do with affordable childcare vs less to do with not trusting someone else with J. We’ve been discussing putting him in preschool next school year to both give me a bit of a break, and to introduce him to other children his age. (He currently acts like other one year olds are animals that are beneath him and prefers to hang out with grown ups instead.) But that’s enough about my irrelevant $.02
  • @Ceridwen77 I also was not trying to offend you. I apologize if I offended you. Like I said we are all going through shit and while we chat on the bump we don't really know each other from atom. 
    I just think before any overreactions take over we should just clear the air. I like that our month isn't really super catty. 

On a more personal level, I had about the worst day ever. My client today had a bad episode of aggressive behaviors that result in him kicking me in the legs and stomach, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me, shoving me into a table, scratching my face, and biting my wrist. The stomach kicks weren't too bad, but still scary. Needless to say, a bad day at work. I went to the OB and they checked the heartbeat and everything seemed fine. So I'm just to monitor for severe cramping and or bleeding but nothing too severe. But it didn't help my headache any. So I got to have a fun conversation with my boss about not working with him anymore and his mom. Luckily everyone agreed completely that it's just too risky while I'm pregnant. But now I don't really know what to do about my job. I really only stayed at this place for the last five or six months because of that client. I've worked with him for well over a year and have just grown attached. But if I'm not staying for him then I don't really feel the job is worth staying at anymore. There's just a lot of negatives to it. The pay is kinda crappy for how much it costs to do the job; just like gas, and you constantly do stuff like go out to eat and the movies and bowling etc. (and the reimbursement for gas sucks majorly.) But I love the clients I work with and this field of work so I always just did the trade off of job satisfaction. But I think now especially with another kiddo on the way I need to find something else with better pay and benefits (like sick pay or some amount of time off) as well as a more consistent work schedule. I just didn't want to do any of this right now and had hoped I could deal with it all after the new year. 

And all of this is happening on top of me going through my own perfectionism induced anxiety over my life already feeling like it was collapsing in on me because it feels like I'm constantly failing at being a wife and mom and my own person. So that's cool. I'm eating pie straight from the pan tonight. 
  • Lurking- @theletlers have you thought about looking into being a classroom instructional assistant, one-on-one or something like that?  You would have a normal school schedule and still get to work with the population you love. They tend to have pretty good benefits, too. 
  • @mileswithmyles Thanks, yeah I have. But the pay isn't a lot in my area and you only get paid for the 180 days of school a year. They can divide it so you get paid year round but then it pays worse than my job now. It's just been a lot to process all at once. My brain is just completely overwhelmed today. 
  • @theletlers that makes sense. In our District, they have the option to work summer school, so that’s nice for our IAs. I’m sorry that today was a rough day.  <3
  • Dang! @Ceridwen77 I really appreciate you starting these threads.

I think we all need to take a step bad and realise that we are all stressed the fk out, rarely anything seems to be meant personally here. Nor meant to negate others depression or anxiety or anything else for that matter.

@Pearlvirus I completely get what you are saying. It's been my issue as well, basically I don't trust others to take care of my child the way I want them to be. I am hoping to go back to work in the next couple yrs now(was hoping sooner :( ) but still once I have this baby, I doubt I will trust anyone with it until it's at least very verbal and potty trained completely, probably around 3ish. My SO is just about as paranoid as I am. 
  • Honestly it’s not even really about trust. I’m a pretty trusting person in general. It’s partially  about my own ability to handle their dissapoint. And also my older daughters “hangovers” when i come back. She’s getting slowly better as she gets older but it used to be brutal. And I’m scared this one will be high needs like her.