November 2017 Moms

The post-partum hormone crash....

So ladies, did this happen for any of you? I have read and heard that typically within the first week or two after birth, a lot of women experience a flooding of hormones and emotional fluctuations. Curious to hear what others have experienced or if things seem to be moving along as usual.

Re: The post-partum hormone crash....

• I had a crash two days after birth.  The rest of the week was rough but that first day was the worst. Mostly cried at just about everything. I am doing better but it was tough.  I was bummed because that was the day we went home from the hospital and it was supposed to be this super happy moment and I didnt really get to enjoy it.  I also had added stress due to little one being premature. 
  • @angkay711- sorry to hear you had a crash the day you left the hospital. I hear most women experience the crash on day 2 as well...which makes it seem like a cruel joke that most hospitals kick you out on that day. Hopefully you are feeling better now and your little premie is doing well!
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally, I think I have had two hormonal crashes. One was on day 2 and was brief, but intense. It was before we left the hospital at about 4am when LO was cluster feeding and was constantly wanting to feed every 20 minutes. Nothing would console her and I just broke down crying. 

The second one was smaller, but happened today. It really hit me that I am not going back to work tomorrow. I know most people look forward to maternity leave and the time off with their LO. And I do really want to be home...but taking the time off is going to be very hard for me. I run the organization I work at and my identity is closely tied to the work I do. I have lived, breathed and devoted myself to the organization for the past 6 years. I haven't taken off more than 2 weeks of work and even then (while traveling through Europe), I still answered emails and did work. So I am really struggling with the thought that my team is carrying on without me. It almost makes me feel like I am not needed.....and that has been making me cry. 
  • i haven't had my bambino yet, but have to say i have so much empathy for your moods and difficulties.  i've put so much into my education and career over the last while that i find i've been walking around feeling a bit like "what have i done?".  i'm so happy to be having this baby, but it is so hard when your identity is so wrapped up in your profession.

i hope that your feelings start to balance out - you certainly are not alone in this.  looking forward to seeing what others say.  sending you warm thoughts <3
  • @whatwillanndo thank you for the kind response. I feel guilty for not wanting to just be home and I feel guilty for not being at work. It sucks both ways. But I hope I feel better in a few days. I agree its hard when you have invested so much in your education and career, and then have to take a step back from something you love doing and is who you are. I know it will be an adjustment, I think it will just take time. 

Good luck to you when your little one arrives!
  • @dragonfly87-2 I also feel like I should be at work but also here with LO. I feel guilty both ways like I shoukd be making a difference with my patients and being there with my coworkers. 

I broke down on Halloween which was day 3. The costume my mom made was all wrong and we had to fix it so that DD could west it that day to school. DD was confused by my crying. I've lashed out at DH for not stepping up, coming honed from work and plopping on the couch ignoring what DD needs, hard enough not being an only child anymore. In all honesty though,  he had it coming the times I've yelled at him.   
  • I had a major crash on day 5 - the cry myself to sleep while taking a nap crash.  We were inundated with visitors, all of whom seemed to be focused on "helping" their way and not on actually helping.  I've had a few emotional hills since then, but day 5 was definitely the worst.  
  • @dragonfly87-2 I definitely sympathize with you on the work part. I feel guilty leaving my staff during the holidays which is always a crazy time in the child welfare field. I’m also afraid that they’re making changes to my program while I’m gone which is causing some anxiety, even though they’ve called me 3 times about different issues.
  • It wasn't as bad for me this this time around. With my first I had the emotional crash at least once a day for a week. With the second on the second morning the nurses woke me up to feed my son, I got him latched on, and promptly burst into tears over I have no idea what. It was so sudden the nurses were startled and started to reassure me that I was doing a good job. This time around I haven't noticed any particular emotional outbursts or tears or any such thing. Possibly I'm trying extra hard to be normal for my 4 yr old who took the addition of a new baby rather hard, but I haven't even really felt the urge to cry or anything. Maybe my body got used to it faster this time?

Good luck to everyone going through it, I've been there, it's rough. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Oh man. With my first I remember it was day 4 and I cried the whole car ride home from the hospital into the next day. We had a PED appt in the morning and I could barely get myself dressed I was so distraught. This time around I felt it (not to same extent) around day 3, also when I was discharged bit I also cried just about every day for the next 2 weeks. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the hormones but also that I got mastitis and was staying in the nicu and missing my little girl at home etc. it's no joke!!! Hope all the mamas are doing ok. If it persists make sure to talk to your ob! 
  • I was totally happy and feeling good until my son turn one week. The emotional mess come out of no where like a brick wall. It's odd an on now, four good days then a really bad day and then more good days before another bad day. 

• I've cried a lot. At least once a day for the past week. I feel super alone and tired trying to keep up with everything with 2 kids by myself all day. My fiance is gone for work 13-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week and we live over an hour from everybody so I haven't had any visitors except my dad and sister twice. My 4 year old is constantly asking to go somewhere, anywhere.
  • @amber0529 I am sorry to hear you feel overwhelmed and alone. Do you have any neighbors or friends that could come over to hang out or give you time to do some personal things during the day (i.e., take a nap, a shower, just eat in peace)? 
  • @dragonfly87-2
    Unfortunately the couple friends I had left I basically lost when I started working for the post office and never had time for them. It was already hard to keep up with them with me living so far away.
    I was getting close with my neighbor and I helped her a ton since she had her son two months ago but I've only heard from her a couple times since I had the baby. She had the flu for a few days and than just nothing. It really sucks because my son was so used to playing with her daughter every day and now he's going crazy with no one to play with lately and a new baby in the house.

• @amber0529: That's a bummer on your friends you lost contact with over time. For your neighbor, have you tried reaching out to her and saying, "Hey it's been awhile, would love to catch up if you have time?" It could be that she is trying to give you space or it hasn't been on her mind. Sometimes, a simple nudge can get things going again :)
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited November 2017
    I just bawled my way through watching this video...and that is so unlike me. These hormones...ugh.

https://www.facebook.com/InspiredLifePage/videos/1568224853300062/
  • With my son, day two or three it hit hard. This time it wasn't as bad. Maybe a while every other day a couple of weeks. I am six weeks post now and still hormonal...
  • I had my hormone crash on day 2 and again on day 5... now once or twice a week I feel like I just want to cry for no reason.  I normally have a day where I want to cry for know reason right before I would start my period So I know its all hormonal. 
  • My body went through an insane delivery process, so I had a few meltdowns not being able to get out of the hospital bed. I also wanted DH to know how upset and sorry I was that we both missed his birth because I had to be put to sleep. Now that it's starting to heal, I'm fine.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I had mine on day 5. The pediatrician told me she was concerned about LO losing too much weight, and she was still a little jaundiced. So the natural worrier in me went into overdrive. LO was super fussy (I think she was very gassy) all night and wouldn't sleep. I would get her to sleep and I would finally lay down, and not 15 minutes later she was up screaming. DH came to check on us, and I was holding the baby, just bawling my eyes out. 
  • @hillaryo14 This has been me most nights, so I’m not even sure when my “crash” may have occurred. I hope it’s gotten better for you since. I can gauge that things are getting better because I’m crying less each day!
  • I have cried maybe once a week since baby was born but it's not tears of sadness or stress its tears of joy. I will be signing /rocking her and looking into her big beautiful brown eyes and just start bust out crying because I feel so blessed. For so long I dealt with issues with infertility and I thought this day would never come so I am truly humbled by this entire experience.