May 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions Week of 11/26

Re: Weekly Questions Week of 11/26

• This is probably a stupid question: is non-alcoholic wine and beer pregnancy safe?  Does it taste the same?
  • It doesn't taste the same.  Check the labels - some nonalcoholic beer actually has small amounts of alcohol in it, so make your choice knowing that.
    November Siggy Challenge

• Loading the player...
  • Vanilla extract has alcohol too. :tongue:
  • @mileswithmyles I had a few Budweiser Prohibition "beers" while pregnant with DD and they tasted like the real thing. They claim to be 100% alcohol free. Not sure if they are in the States yet. Originally, they had only launched in Canada.
  • ivyvines6 said:
    Vanilla extract has alcohol too. :tongue:
    And it's so delicious
    November Siggy Challenge

• @tincupchalice I accidentally bought a bottle about 6 months ago and it says it has 0.5%.  I was considering giving it a try at a holiday party coming up.  

@ivyvines6 lol!  Yes!  And so does some of the cough syrup that is on my list of approved medications while pregnant.  
  • @tincupchalice I accidentally bought a bottle about 6 months ago and it says it has 0.5%.  I was considering giving it a try at a holiday party coming up.  

@ivyvines6 lol!  Yes!  And so does some of the cough syrup that is on my list of approved medications while pregnant.  
    Yeah that was the biggest joke when we did a whole30. The rules are stupidly strict and you can’t use vanilla extract either. /eyeroll I’ve never had an issue with not consuming alcohol, so I ignored that rule and bought the larabars that had it in them :lol:
  • I remember being very confused once when I saw someone get carded at a store for buying non-alcoholic beer.
    November Siggy Challenge

• With my first, I bought non alcoholic wine and it said something like, contains less than 2% of alcohol. I was too nervous to drink any, but I poured a glass of it this time around for Thanksgiving. Didn't drink more than a couple of sips, it was worse than grape juice.
  • Any other twin moms do or plan on doing the Quad Screening? My doctor said that the results aren’t as accurate for twin pregnancies but I decided to get it anyway. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • People, don’t waste your time with NA wine. It’s so nasty. 

Anyone else having bad headaches? I know this is probably for the symptoms thread but I don’t remember when it gets posted. Dying over here!!
  • Has anyone ever had an amniocentesis?  Today the genetic counselor recommended I get one.  I had inclusive results from the NIPT test and they saw a bright spot on the heart yesterday, which she said are two soft markets for Down’s syndrome. Even though the other test I did (Nucal  translucency) came back with 1/8,200 odds for downs she said I was higher risk. I am so nervous now and have no idea what to do
  • dem068a said:
    Has anyone ever had an amniocentesis?  Today the genetic counselor recommended I get one.  I had inclusive results from the NIPT test and they saw a bright spot on the heart yesterday, which she said are two soft markets for Down’s syndrome. Even though the other test I did (Nucal  translucency) came back with 1/8,200 odds for downs she said I was higher risk. I am so nervous now and have no idea what to do
    Find out from your counselor how many aminos they do. It’s an extremely low risk factor if they are regularly done at your hospital. Also what are your other options? How important is it for you to know if there are any genetic conditions? Maybe you could wait until your anatomy scan and see how that goes. 
  • dem068a said:
    Has anyone ever had an amniocentesis?  Today the genetic counselor recommended I get one.  I had inclusive results from the NIPT test and they saw a bright spot on the heart yesterday, which she said are two soft markets for Down’s syndrome. Even though the other test I did (Nucal  translucency) came back with 1/8,200 odds for downs she said I was higher risk. I am so nervous now and have no idea what to do
    Find out from your counselor how many aminos they do. It’s an extremely low risk factor if they are regularly done at your hospital. Also what are your other options? How important is it for you to know if there are any genetic conditions? Maybe you could wait until your anatomy scan and see how that goes. 
    Apparently they do a ton at my hospital (I live in New York City), which is somewhat reassuring. I had an early anatomy scan yesterday (for some reason my practice does an anatomy scan at 16 then at 20 weeks).  The main reason I am leaning towards doing it is because it seems like every conversation is “it could be something really bad, or it could be nothing”, which is a really hard extreme for me to deal with. I rather just know then worry for the next 25 weeks. But it is terrifying to think about the risk
  • @lincbeesmom Since we already did NIPT they are only doing the AFP test. I'm having that done at 17 weeks 
  • @Ceridwen77 yes to headaches! Mine started around 12 weeks 
  • Here a question, for those expecting #3 or more: How are you configuring carseats? We have a minivan with middle captain chairs. Right now my older two are in the middle. I saw one van with the baby in the way back but that doesn’t feel right to me. So we have to move one of the kids back, but maybe it would be easier to move both bigs back? Otherwise how in the world do I get to the one in be back to help get her buckled? Climb through the rear?? 
  • @pearlvirus, @suchaglencoco and I were discussing this awhile ago since we both have twins.  I think we both decided that the easiest way to do it would be the two "big" kids in the back row, and the little one in the middle row with the opposite seat kept down (I think we both have the stow n go seats that fold the whole way down into the floor).  That way you can easily get into and out of the back row to buckle the bigger ones and not lose a ton of floor space for storage, etc.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @sandbar517 yeah that’s the way I’m leaning too. I’m not sure if my middle seat folds down (Sienna) but it is a least easy to climb over if it’s empty.
  • Yup. That's our plan. The seats will need to be put in with the seatbelt in the back, but we rarely if ever remove the car seats. If grandma has them, she has the whole van and I have her car.
    My biggest worry right now is I want the twins to be rear facing as long as possible and hoped to get close to the 40 lb mark. I don't think I can have them rear face in the back seat without getting them in and out to be a total disaster. DS will probably be 30+ lbs when we have the new baby so I'm not as worried about him, but DD is tiny and will be only around 25 lbs if we're lucky.
    My only sanity savior is we don't drive that much or that long since I stay at home. And I doubt I'll get out much with 3 littles alone!
  • @suchaglencoco, I'm (kinda) in the same boat, and I've been debating with myself over the same thing.  I know mine are a little older than yours (3.5), but I still have them rear facing, and I'm in no hurry to turn them.  They're both peanuts, around 28ish pounds now, so they'll be a little over 30 by May, I would guess.  I think strapping them in rear facing in the back row will be a pain, but here are the arguments I've been having in my head: a. I've read that for the safety of rear vs front facing it does actually depend more on age and bone development rather than strictly on size, but b. I sometimes strap my girls in from behind their head now (while they're in the middle row) and sometimes find it easier to strap them in that way than from the side. Also, rear facing regardless of where in the car they are, is kinda more annoying and pain in the ass-y than front facing, but we do it because we believe the safety factor makes it worth it, so am I willing to continue dealing with the pain of having them rear facing to keep them safer?    Lastly, I'm not entirely sure if my car seats will even fit rear facing in the back row, because I'm not sure the middle row will slide forward far enough to allow it.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• One that same note with car seats- this with two kids already, how do you have it configured?  Does anyone have a car seat in the middle seat? 

And one other question- what is everyone using for skin breakout these days?  My face is okay, but my chest and back are out of control and my current wash wash isn’t helping it. 
  • @mileswithmyles, With just the two girls, we've always had one one each side of the seat (in the middle row if applicable), before we got our minivan.  I had a Kia Sorento (three rows) and a Kia Optima (4 door sedan) and we always kept the middle seat empty.  I know I've mentioned it before, but my *awesome* husband /sarcasm/ decided when we traded our cars in that the Chevy Equinox was the best option, knowing full well that we were planning on having a third kid.  He's planning on putting three across the back seat (because it doesn't have a third row).  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @Pearlvirus we have a Buick enclave and the plan is to have the babies in the captains chairs and our 4 year old in the 3rd row middle seat (it’s the only one with a tether). I expect that I’ll need to buckle him in through the back but I haven’t seen how much space I’ll have yet once all the car seats are installed. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sandbar517 I have a Ford Explorer and am trying to figure out how to still have access to my third row.  I may just put the infant seat on the seat that folds down because the base is far easier to take in and out than DS's carseat.  That thing is the devil.
  • I’ve decided we just won’t leave the house. Now I can sell the van and buy allll the old man vests my heart desires (as long as this is acually a boy......)
  • @dem068a sounds like it would be very very low risk and give you peace of mind. 
  • @doubleblessings1124 @thunderberry sorry you guys are dealing with headaches! I’ve been coping with Tylenol, but @thunderberry your massage suggestion is amazing. I have the same neck tension too!!
    I'm also suffering from headaches. Basically when my nausea stopped, the headaches started. Some are pretty bad. I am trying to drink more water, get rest, exercise lightly and generally be distracted if possible. I really want to avoid taking anything if I can. 
  • I have a 12 pax van.  Baby will be in the second row but I'm not sure if I want them behind the driver or behind the passenger.  It's easier to access behind the passenger (door only on one side) but it kills a bunch of space.

The older two will be in the next row back.  DS1 on the passenger side front facing and DS2 on the drivers side rear facing.  It's going to be a bit of a pain getting him buckled in but the other option is to put the fourth row back in (it's currently pulled out for storage).
    November Siggy Challenge

• Headaches are nasty.  Hydrate - get electrolytes especially.  None of that worked for me this pregnancy though and I had to do more tylenol than I preferred.
    November Siggy Challenge

• @doubleblessings1124 @thunderberry sorry you guys are dealing with headaches! I’ve been coping with Tylenol, but @thunderberry your massage suggestion is amazing. I have the same neck tension too!!
    I'm also suffering from headaches. Basically when my nausea stopped, the headaches started. Some are pretty bad. I am trying to drink more water, get rest, exercise lightly and generally be distracted if possible. I really want to avoid taking anything if I can. 
  • These headaches suck. I wish I could just sleep all day and not feel it so badly. 
  • Anyone with pelvic/vaginal pressure? I didn’t have this with my first, some googling says it can be anything from “normal for second baby,” uterus stretching to incompetent cervix  :#

i have an appt with my midwife next week and plan to ask, but just wondering! I’m only 14+2
  • holli0801 said:
    Anyone with pelvic/vaginal pressure? I didn’t have this with my first, some googling says it can be anything from “normal for second baby,” uterus stretching to incompetent cervix  :#

i have an appt with my midwife next week and plan to ask, but just wondering! I’m only 14+2
    I definitely had that extensively with J! Discomfort and pain are definitely common pregnancy symptoms unfortunately... 
  • @ivyvines6 oh definitely and I’ve had the aches and pains before for sure!.... but this just feels different. The google freaks me out sometimes. I should not google.... haha. 
  • THis might be dumb...can I use vicks vapor rub? I have a cold and I feel like death

Pregnancy Ticker