February 2018 Moms

3 hour glucose test the day after thanksgiving -- what to eat/do?

Hi all,

I'm needing to go in for the 3-hour glucose test (I failed my 1 hour by 9 points, as it was 143), and they said to go in Friday, which would be ASAP in this case b/c the clinic is closed tomorrow for Thanksgiving. They said just fast starting at midnight tomorrow night, and it didn't matter what or how much I ate tomorrow (thanksgiving). Do people's experiences bear this out? I'm worried about loading up too much on carbs/sugar if that might throw anything off, but we just bought a bunch of thanksgiving food and I don't want to ruin the holiday for no reason either :(! Also they said an 8 hour fast, but a lot of websites say it's 8-12 hour, so would it be best to actually start fasting at 8pm? I want accurate results, but don't want to skew the test!

Thanks all!

Re: 3 hour glucose test the day after thanksgiving -- what to eat/do?

• I just took my 3 hour and ate all the things the night before but stopped eating/ drinking at 9pm. Test was at 7am. They took a urine sample before they gave me the drink to verify there were no sugars in my system.  If there were they said i would be rescheduled. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • I did my 3 hour a couple weeks ago and didn’t really watch what I ate the day before. I did eat some string cheese at 830 right before I went to bed because I knew I wouldn’t be able to take the test til 845 the next morning. I was starved going into the test. I passed all blood draws without issue. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the 3 hour coming up this weekend. From what I’ve read you may be able to skew the 1 hour screening a bit by a few points to maybe keep yourself from failing by like a point. However, the 3 hour is going to tell you wether you have GD or not there won’t be false positives or negatives based on what you do leading up to it. Just be sure the fast for however long your doctor told you to.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • I ate a mcds breakfast and passed my one hour. If you truly have GD then the 3 hr will show it. The drink it’s self is full of crap on purpose to see how your body metabolizes it. At this point do what your doctor says and if you fail then you have a medical condition they need to monitor. 
  • What @SunflowerMama428 said. You also want to get a true reading of what you normally eat instead of eating for the test, so you know what your body is doing on a regular basis. 
  • I cut back on carbs and sugar on the days before my 3 hour and still failed it so if you truly have gestational diabetes nothing you eat today will impact the results 
  • *Lurking from March*

I'm diabetic and your fasting numbers don't have anything to do with what you eat the day/night before. I hope you enjoyed all the Thanksgiving food. If you're truly diabetic, it will show. If you're not, it'll get ruled out. Just fast like they recommended. Good luck tomorrow!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks everyone! I called the after-hours number for my insurance and they pretty much backed up everything said here...went ahead and enjoyed thanksgiving moderately, and hope for some good #s tomorrow!
  • Update: passed the test also! One of the numbers (the 1 hour) was about 10 points over normal, but the rest were fine, so they told me I passed and didn't have to worry about more tests, just don't overload on carbs alone (which I guess one shouldn't anyways).
  • Update: passed the test also! One of the numbers (the 1 hour) was about 10 points over normal, but the rest were fine, so they told me I passed and didn't have to worry about more tests, just don't overload on carbs alone (which I guess one shouldn't anyways).
    How do you have results from the lab so quickly??
    How do you have results from the lab so quickly??
    I got my results the very next day! I wonder if it has to do with being affiliated with a hospital or not....I don’t know though. 
  • @BrittaniLC maybe. I went to labcorp, so it's separate from my hospital or OB
  • @BrittaniLC maybe. I went to labcorp, so it's separate from my hospital or OB
    I did mine at LabCorp.  My doctors office called with the results at 8:30am the next day.  Maybe yours is delayed bc of the holidays??
  • @3plus1equals4 yeah since I did mine Friday morning, it was past thanksgiving and they gave me the results with a phone call at 4pm that same day -- I have Kaiser which runs its own clinic, and they are mostly really good with getting results back ASAP via either phone or their messaging system. The one time I worried was at my 16 week quad blood test, got them done just before labor day and it was about a week before I heard back that particular time (that things were normal) -- probably testers are on holiday, don't panic!