July 2018 Moms
Options

Work and appointments, help!

Is anyone having problems working and trying to go to doctors appointment? When I have to take time off to go to appointments, my supervisor says there is no one to cover me. Needing help to handle this. I’m 5w6d and I’m very high risk. ***oh and I tried changing my screen name but it won’t change.

Re: Work and appointments, help!

• Options
    Give your screen name time, sometimes it just takes a bit to switch. What do you or other workers do when you have a doctor's appointment that's not pregnancy-related? I'd just do that. Or try to schedule appointments so they're as minimally disruptive to your schedule as possible. If you think you're going to have regular appointments because you're high risk, I'd consider telling your supervisor even if it's early. Hopefully that would make them more sympathetic to your situation and see that you have to go in regardless of coverage. Seriously, I get that schedule coverage can be tough, but that's not your problem. They shouldn't be putting it on you. What do they do if someone calls in sick? They're the one that needs to figure this out.
  • Options
    I work in a clinic lab and I work alone. They have to pull others from other locations to cover when someone is out. But just lost 2 employees so there is no room to move people around. I try to schedule early morning or late afternoons. I’m already stressed about having low hcg and other issues. Thanks, I’ll try to talk more in detail with supervisor.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, if that's the situation I'd level with them and let them know what's going on. I know it's hard not to feel responsible because it's your hours needing covered, but really that's not your job to worry about. Sounds like they need to get on hiring more people, which hopefully they'll push to do if they know you're going to need semi-regular time off for appointments.
  • Options
    Sounds like this will [hopefully] be a short term situation as they hire more people. Also, I can't imagine not being able to get away once a month for an appointment! That would be a bit much. I have had numerous appointments because of fertility treatments and I usually schedule it over my lunch and use sick time to cover the excess from my lunch. I haven't heard a peep from my boss about it. Perhaps you could arrange something similar. 
  • Options
    We were extremely short staffed for my last pregnancy (LO is only 4.5 months) and bc of the work I do, I had to notify my boss at 3.5 weeks. I am also high risk and had appts with my endo every other week, OB appts once monthly until 28 weeks which then became every other week, then twice weekly NSTs at 32 weeks. Also had MFM appts once monthly after 24 weeks, then every week after 34 weeks or so. So LOTS of appointments! I got a doctors note at the beginning from my OB stating the medical need for so many appts. I scheduled on the same days and times as much as possible so I was at least consistent. Thankfully, work didn't give me too much flack that time around.
  • Options
    I had to tell my boss early with my son because i needed some bedrest accommodations most of the time. Everything came with a doctors note as proof. Highly recommend talking to your boss and hopefully you can schedule ahead of time to find coverage. 
  • Options
    Thanks for advice and now I have ease of talking to my supervisor. I went to Dr today and have to go back on Monday. At that time, I’ll get a note from Dr explaining expectations for frequent visits. That way I’ll have it in writing. 
  • Options
    Some dr's have really early appointments. maybe you could get one of those like you said so you would only miss a small amount or go on your lunch break if you have one? Ultimately it is a medical need and workplaces have to be accomodating and it sound like you are trying to be as easy to work with as possible. good luck! 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Depending on the size of your employer and the nature of your high risk pregnancy, you may be eligible for intermittent FMLA. It covers employees with medical conditions that require frequent time off due to health issues or doctors appointments. I would definitely look into it! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas!