February 2018 Moms

UO Thursday

I was lurking in March and thought of one...I’m super judgmental about baby names. If you name your kid something with goofy spelling or a weird connection, I’m mad on behalf of the poor kid who has to be cool and cute enough to pull it off. Especially girls with boys names - it can backfire easily

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • ash0625 said:
    My UO this week is that the girls planning my baby shower loved the idea of having every guest bring their favorite baby book instead of a card and they included it on the invitation. I'm not mad. I think its sweet and a fun way to build this baby's little library. 
    Stuck in random second box??

I think it's a great idea. The shower etiquette powers that be claim it to be a no no. (For some reason) I think it is cool, though. I mean, cards are actually pretty expensive. You can get a cute board book for basically the same price. 
  • ash0625 said:
    My UO this week is that the girls planning my baby shower loved the idea of having every guest bring their favorite baby book instead of a card and they included it on the invitation. I'm not mad. I think its sweet and a fun way to build this baby's little library. 
    Stuck in random second box??

I think it's a great idea. The shower etiquette powers that be claim it to be a no no. (For some reason) I think it is cool, though. I mean, cards are actually pretty expensive. You can get a cute board book for basically the same price. 
    Cards CAN be pretty expensive or can be free when you use the tag on the side of the bag or can be pretty cheap if you are like me and buy the packs of cards to have on hand that are pretty cheap for a bunch. A board book requires me to go and get something special and buy a second gift as opposed to grabbing a card from my drawer.

No judgement to you though, you have no control over what your hostess does but my opinion is that it is rude of your hostess

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• My UO of that I LOVE shower games. I know most people hate them but I love them. I also love watching the guest of honor open gifts. I could ooh and ahh over that crap all day

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• @sabriel1 maybe I feel that way because I actually love having an excuse to get out of the house. It's not an inconvenience to me, like oh great another thing to go buy. If I didn't have the extra money in the budget, I'd just go a little lighter on the main gift. 
  • As for me, I hate opening gifts in front of people! My shower is next weekend, and I'm hoping to get through that part quickly! 
  • My SIL did that for my shower and some people brought used books or did a card instead anyways and that was great too! Some people made books their main gift and just got a few of them. SIL collected tons of used books from thrift shops and gifted me a whole basket of them, which I loved. Books don’t have to be brand new or expensive, but if there’s an instruction or request on a shower invite I just don’t follow it if I can’t afford it, no big deal. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • My SIL did that for my shower and some people brought used books or did a card instead anyways and that was great too! Some people made books their main gift and just got a few of them. SIL collected tons of used books from thrift shops and gifted me a whole basket of them, which I loved. Books don’t have to be brand new or expensive, but if there’s an instruction or request on a shower invite I just don’t follow it if I can’t afford it, no big deal. 
    I had several friends/family who gave me their favorite or their child's favorite used book.  They still wrote a sweet note in it and I loved it.  Plus, it's fun to read the sweet notes to my 2 year old about where the books came from.  
  • Thought of another one - I’ve decided birthday parties for little kids are silly. My current “baby” is 2 today. Tomorrow we are going to have cake and some presents at home with just our family (me, DH, and his big brother). No friends, no decorations, just relaxing at home and playing at the park. I honestly think he will like it better than a party. My MIL and SIL are horrified - they’re the kind that have color schemes for first birthdays. And I don’t care if they do, but I don’t want to play
     this is awesome. We generally do something similar unless the kid requests a party, and that doesn't start happening til grade school. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • ash0625 said:
    I really love this too! I love buying books for kids, but have worried that it could be interpretted as judgy... as if I'm saying, "your kid needs to read more" or "if you aren't reading to your baby, you're a bad mom." I would never want to make someone feel that way, so I love knowing that the parents want books for their kids.
  • My UO today is that I couldn't care less if you call the sex of your baby "gender." I think it's a little funny how there's always those few ladies who feel like it's their civic duty to correct people when they use gender instead of sex. Example: "guess my baby's gender! Do you think boy or girl?" Answer: "Well you should probably ask a professional what the SEX of your baby is. They will let you know their gender when they are about 5." I kind of roll my eyes when I see these responses, and they are on every thread about gender. Obviously I'm not very PC, but that's my opinion.
    The reason I don't like when people interchange sex and gender actually has nothing to do with the whole "gender is a social construct" argument, but more about people who only use the term "gender" because they think "sex" is a bad word and don't want it associated with their baby. So when someone gets up in arms over being corrected because "Oh no, don't say sex, that's naughty!" I roll my eyes so hard.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• My UO today is that I couldn't care less if you call the sex of your baby "gender." I think it's a little funny how there's always those few ladies who feel like it's their civic duty to correct people when they use gender instead of sex. Example: "guess my baby's gender! Do you think boy or girl?" Answer: "Well you should probably ask a professional what the SEX of your baby is. They will let you know their gender when they are about 5." I kind of roll my eyes when I see these responses, and they are on every thread about gender. Obviously I'm not very PC, but that's my opinion.
    So much this. Not every tiny thing needs to be PC. And I'm a nurse so I have no problems using the word 'sex' or the correct anatomical names for my children's genitals 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• ash0625 said:
    I agree with this as well. 
    Its no real inconvenience to get a book, you're already getting a present so just get a book while you're there. And if the expense is too much get a used one or spend less on the rest of the gift. I don't see how it's any different than a themed bridal/wedding shower where gifts go with the theme ie-a BBQ themed wedding shower 
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI

• @precious88 I went all out on a rainbow party for my DD's first bday and Mickey Mouse clubhouse for her second. It's fun for me and we have the financial means so why not. I know she doesn't care, but she's precious to me and I love celebrating her. Plus it's like a "yay we kept her alive for another year lol"

The reason I don't like when people interchange sex and gender actually has nothing to do with the whole "gender is a social construct" argument, but more about people who only use the term "gender" because they think "sex" is a bad word and don't want it associated with their baby. So when someone gets up in arms over being corrected because "Oh no, don't say sex, that's naughty!" I roll my eyes so hard.
    Someone's UO on July 18 is the exact opposite as mine. Haha. I wonder if they are lurking like I do or if they are just that predictable.
    Someone's UO on July 18 is the exact opposite as mine. Haha. I wonder if they are lurking like I do or if they are just that predictable.
    Judging by what I've seen so far in that board, those women are professional shit starters. I'll be surprised if they stick together long enough for a private FB group.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• @rainafire77 doesn't it seem like every bmb is more wild than the last? I can't wait to see how August starts. Lol
    I agree with this times a million!!! 
  • Thought of another one - I’ve decided birthday parties for little kids are silly. My current “baby” is 2 today. Tomorrow we are going to have cake and some presents at home with just our family (me, DH, and his big brother). No friends, no decorations, just relaxing at home and playing at the park. I honestly think he will like it better than a party. My MIL and SIL are horrified - they’re the kind that have color schemes for first birthdays. And I don’t care if they do, but I don’t want to play

I am totally that parent that that goes over the top. My son’s second birthday party was last weekend, I started planning in August. He had fun. I know it is mostly for me right now and he would be just as happy at home but I think it is fun to plan them. Last year was Dr Seuss this year was fire trucks. 
    I totally agree.....but and don't yell at me..I also think nurseries with themes are silly and I don't get it. But that's my opinion. 

• Why do people constantly ask pregnant ladies " how are you feeling?" I'm pregnant!  not sick, not dying, no major health crisis...just growing a human.  Back off.
    Or.. am I the only one who gets annoyed by that question? 
  • Chawk17 said:
    Why do people constantly ask pregnant ladies " how are you feeling?" I'm pregnant!  not sick, not dying, no major health crisis...just growing a human.  Back off.
    No you absolutely 100% are not the only one annoyed lol! I’m sooooo tired of it. Then I feel bad that I’m annoyed lol. And it’s people at work I never talk to that typically ask me.
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited November 2017
    Thought of another one - I’ve decided birthday parties for little kids are silly. My current “baby” is 2 today. Tomorrow we are going to have cake and some presents at home with just our family (me, DH, and his big brother). No friends, no decorations, just relaxing at home and playing at the park. I honestly think he will like it better than a party. My MIL and SIL are horrified - they’re the kind that have color schemes for first birthdays. And I don’t care if they do, but I don’t want to play
    We don't do parties, either. My mother threw a 1st birthday party for my eldest daughter, but that was pretty much it as far as parties go. I'm not into them and what goes into the process and my older two are introverted and have no interest in all the hubbub. My dd2 turns 11 tomorrow and my MIL is taking the big kids roller skating and shopping at Hot Topic and we'll do cheesecake (her choice) and sushi for dinner. If her BFF hadn't moved away she'd invite a friend over, but definitely not a gaggle of kids. Plus, all of their birthdays are around the holidays. We keep it simple. 
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Uo: leggings are not pants! I don't care what brand they are,  how much you spent on them,  unless your  under the age of 2 and in diapers you need to wear something over them that covers your butt.  A dress,  long sweater,  skirt,  shorts,  something!
    Amen

Stuck in the box:

I agree with this too. I'm no psychologist, but wouldn't it be more correct to assume gender and sex are the same until they are proven to be different? Vs. Saying gender does not exist until it is identified?

• Uo: leggings are not pants! I don't care what brand they are,  how much you spent on them,  unless your  under the age of 2 and in diapers you need to wear something over them that covers your butt.  A dress,  long sweater,  skirt,  shorts,  something!
    *stuck in box* 

Guilty! I even sometimes think that leggings aren't pants, and then I get dressed in leggings and a t-shirt and feel no shame. 
    Currently wearing leggings but I have a tunic on and my butt is covered  :)
  • I had a boss who would wear leggings as pants with tight shirts that did not come anywhere close to covering her hips/butt. I thought it was SO inappropriate. I'm pretty sure my employers changed the dress code just for her, because leggings weren't mentioned until a few months after she started working, and then they were banned. I don't mind when I see people wearing them as pants casually- especially moms at mom group things- but shouldn't it just be common sense that if you work at a place requiring professional attire which is appropriate around children, leggings are not appropriate work attire????
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Chawk17 said:
    Why do people constantly ask pregnant ladies " how are you feeling?" I'm pregnant!  not sick, not dying, no major health crisis...just growing a human.  Back off.
    +1 on this!  Also the people that ask me “should you be doing that?”  I’m not disabled, I’m pregnant.  
  • Chawk17 said:
    Oh my gosh, my MIL texts me every single Thursday to ask me how I feel. She knows it’s my day off from work. I can only say “fine” so many ways without sounding like an asshole! I’m not the type to broadcast every little complaint regardless so I just have nothing special to say to her. It’s so annoying lol but I know she’s just excited. 
  • Chawk17 said:
    Oh my gosh, my MIL texts me every single Thursday to ask me how I feel. She knows it’s my day off from work. I can only say “fine” so many ways without sounding like an asshole! I’m not the type to broadcast every little complaint regardless so I just have nothing special to say to her. It’s so annoying lol but I know she’s just excited. 
      My mom asks me everytime She talks to me on the phone,  she doesn't even Start with hello anymore,  it's strait to how are you feeling?

Does anyone ever answer the how are you feeling question with anything but fibs or good? I mean off something was bothering me and i wanted you to know is tell you with or waiting for you to ask.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7