December 2017 Moms
Options

Induction

Hi mommies. Quick question,I'm a First time mom and high blood pressure has just kicked in (32weeks) I spoke to doctor wanting to know if I'll be able to give natural birth and I was told more than likely I will but with Induction. Well Google says it's more painful than natural birth. Is this true? Any mommy that's gone through both? Is it also longer to give birth? I am so Terrified. 

Re: Induction

• Options
    Hellooooo. Thank you so much for your reply. Which would you advise me to post on or where could I introduce myself. Sorry about my lack of manners. Have no idea how this platform works other than my weekly updates I've been receiving
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome, knottie! :smile:

You for sure can go through natural birth with an induction. I did, but they only broke my waters. I opted out of pitocin, which is something you can chat with your doctor about.

The way my doctor described pitocin is, it artificially brings on labor so your body does not have a chance to "get used to" and "build up to" the contractions. So, the pain with pitocin contractions is not more severe, it just comes about so quickly. Without pitocin, contractions (usually) build up in intensity. With pitocin, they're immediately severe. 
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Okay I'll play.

I had gestational hypertension (high BP caused by pregnancy) with DS. It has started to creep up again this time (most recently at 130/85), too. I am not on any BP-related medication. With DS there was just some extra monitoring, but he was growing fine, looking good on US and during NSTs. 

I was induced at 38 weeks. I started with a foley ball catheter, and had pitocin overnight and throughout the next day. I could barely feel my contractions until they broke my water. It was very very intense after. I wasn't anti-epidural, but I wanted to see what I could do on my own. I mentioned to my DH if I was at a 7 or higher the next time my cervix was checked I'd skip the epi - I was at a 4 still. I was not progressing without the epi and did great once I got it. No issues. I had some pretty bad tearing, but no regrets on getting the drugs. I ~probably~ could have done it without it IF I was progressing, but I wasn't and going naturally isn't something there is a medal for at the end of the race. From start to finish it was just under 24 hours and I was negative station, 0 cm dilated and not effaced at all when I went in. 

ETA - All birth is natural birth. I don't know why, but this irks me. If you're looking to go pain med-free, I'd suggest looking up different birthing methods that are geared toward that. Pitocin literally makes your uterus contract which is why they are often considered more painful contractions that what one would have without it. 

Oh ALSO eta - if you're being induced for high BP, just remember that you're going to be monitored more closely. BP cuff on most of the time, monitor for the belly, etc. 

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    Welcome, @knottie617f4c2dc4c8aceb!

I personally had a horrible experience with being induced - BUT every person is different. I had 3 failed inductions (with pitocin) and was in the hospital for 5 days before my Dr finally agreed to give me an epidural and break my water. It was a loooong 5 days of having contractions and not making any progress. I personally would not want to be induced again, unless it was a last resort and my only option. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies for the replies. Just so Terrified that I might have to be induced. As I'm a Google junkie,the descriptions of pain seems totally unbearable. Think I'm actually starting to develop a phobia gosh
  • Options
    Stay off Google!!! Dr Google is an asshole with lots of scary information. Lol.

I needed pitocin with DD1 because I was unsure of WHEN my water broke (don't ask....). Let me just say, pitocin is the devil. It sucks, its painful and I'm really hoping to avoid it this time around.

Also, @flowerpower5838 is right. ALL forms of birth are natural. Vaginal, c-section, medicated, non-medicated... Natural. If you're looking for a vaginal, non-medicated birth with little to no interventions, thats what you say. Vaginal, non-medicated birth with little to no interventions. But if pain from being induced is your biggest worry, I bid you good luck achieving said birth because its going to be somewhat painful at some point, unless you have that rare disorder where you can't feel pain. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    OP, I definitely understand your concerns. I'm a FTM as well and I can't say I've ever really heard a good induction story, so the thought of having to be induced really freaks me out too!  Try to rest and take good care of yourself.  
  • Options
    Just so you get another side of things, my sister had 3 textbook inductions with epidurals and absolutely loved her birth experiences.  As much as I want to try non-medicated and would love for labor to start on its own, because of her experiences I'm not suuuuper scared of these two interventions if they become necessary.

There are also plenty of stories of people who were able to push through the pain or handled it okay.  Even my friends who were like, "I was screaming during labor!" were able to recover.  Every birth is different and you're not going to know what it feels like until you're doing it; the best preparation for this is mental, to remember it's a marathon, and the only way out (and meeting your baby) is through :)
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart