November 2017 Moms

Induction

I am 40 weeks today - wahoo! At my doctors appointment this morning, I am still sitting at 1cm dilated and 25% effaced. Not much going on. She said next Thursday (41 weeks) she has no openings to induce me so I'd have to wait until 42 weeks.. sounds terrible lol But she said she could do it Sunday evening. We are now scheduled for induction this Sunday (40 weeks 3 days) and I'm super nervous! She said if the induction "doesn't take" I'll have to try again the next week. Does this happen a lot? It not working? Any experiences or advice would be nice to hear! Oh and I'm a FTM

Re: Induction

• I’ve literally never heard of that.....
  • Never heard of that either usually if induction fails they fall back to a C-section I believe. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah that's why I was confused too.. hmm hard to believe they'd send me home
  • I'm a lurker from O17. I work in labor and delivery and we do occasionally send people home if water isn't broken and you're not progressing. It cuts down on your chances of a c section if you go home and try to give your body more time to get ready. I think it's a nice option to have! They won't send you immediately home, they will make sure baby looks good and the medication given to induce you is out of your system before sending you home. 
  • Thank you @stefanirn06, good to know! :)
  • Anyone want to share their induction experience I'm due here in 6 days with our second daughter I'm currently 39 weeks. Our first daughter came just a few days after 39 weeks so just waiting to see what happens here in the next few days I'm 3 cm stretching to 4 cms dialtion at my check up yesterday 11/2 next appt is 11/8 if she hasn't come by then I'm thinking about seeing if they will schedule an induction for that Friday one it will allow for my husband to have the weekend off with me and our daughters he currently doesn't have any time off work they were going to allow for him to be a birth and possibly the next day but that's it. My only worry which I've already talked to doctor about is ending in a C-section due to induction. She said since it's my second baby and me already being dialated that shouldn't be a problem. Just wondering others experiences hoping she just decides to come here before my next appt on Wednesday.
  • @elmich3 Yes, I was told in a class I took through my practice that induction does not always work, and that if it does it can take up to three days to be successful. Personally, I'd see it as a good sign that they would have you come back the next week if it didn't work rather than perform an unnecessary c-section if the baby is not ready to come out. Here's hoping everything goes well for you this weekend! Your baby will be here so soon!
  • Just an update... I went in Sunday evening at 6pm for induction. Started Cytotec and immediately started having painless contractions. Took 2 pills over a sleepless night until they started me on pitocin at 5am. They caused mild to moderate contractions 3 minutes apart until 5pm (12 hours yuck) but I didn't dilate any further all day. They sent me home at 7pm. Im exhausted and depressed and I have to go back tomorrow night to try again. To top things off, I woke up at 5am with my throat feeling like it was closing shut and had to call 911. It ended up being due to sleep apnea/GERD/exhaustion making my throat swell. But I did lose my mucus plug this morning.  Please pray for me. Ugh.
  • @elmich3 I'm so sorry it has been a rough couple of days for you! That sounds very stressful. Especially with your throat swelling—that's so scary. I hope things will start moving along for you soon, and that you can nap in the meantime. May I ask what the painless contractions felt like? Is it a tightening feeling like with Braxton Hicks?
  • @YesOuiCan Thank you! Just waking up from a nap feeling a little better. I never had Braxton Hicks so I had no clue what to expect! They feel like someone put a big blood pressure cuff around your stomach and it gets steadily tighter, stays there, then subsides. 
  • @elmich3 Glad you are feeling a little better! That's pretty much what my Braxton Hicks feel like, though I wouldn't have thought of such a good description. I was wondering if early labor contractions might feel anything like BH, so it's interesting to hear your experience with being induced.
  • I'm sorry you had such a stressful time! Hoping this second time goes a lot smoother! Sending good labor vibes your way!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @samsterrr Thank you! <3 Going in at 6pm tonight so here goes round two! Since I'll now be 41 weeks they said by Thursday night I'll have a baby one way or another.. hoping no C section but I also would rather get a C section earlier with some strength left if I needed one then pointlessly laboring again for a day with no strength just to also need one. Birth can be so tough my goodness! Hopefully will be posting soon that he's here! 
  • @samsterrr and CONGRATS on your little one!! Christopher is so cute! :)
  • Thank you!! 
    Get some rest and try to relax before tonight!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Good luck tonight Elmrich3.

I'm due Friday 11/10 and scheduled for induction Wednesday 11/15. I will be admitted Tuesday evening to start medication to soften my cervix overnight then hopefully go into active labor Wednesday afternoon!

Wishing you a speedy and successful labor!!
  • So my OB went ahead and scheduled my 40 week induction for 11/29 today since I’m not allowed to go past that. With my medical issues and IVF I am allowed to elect for induction at 39 week which would put us at 11/22. The day before thanksgiving. Right now i am 99% sure we are going to move it up to that when we go in next week 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• I came into the hospital for my second induction last night at 6pm. I took cervix thinners again until 5am then started Petocin. I got checked at noon with no progress...again. still 1cm!! My doctor was able to break my water and REAL intense contractions started immediately... I cried instantly lol An hour later I received my epidural and let me tell you.. it didn't hurt AT ALL! It took 5 minutes and I just sat there relaxed so take hope in that. But here I sit at 8pm with no baby still but thankfully at 5cm. My epidural just wore off so getting that going again. Good luck to you guys getting inductions soon and I PRAY yours isn't like mine lol. 
  • My induction took 4 different attempts over 3 days. I would not dilate more than 1.5 cm. Finally, after receiving an epidural, I dilated to 9 cm in 1.5 hours. The epidural is what sped things up. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anyone get induced early due to high BP? I haven't had any real issues this whole time. Had a high BP yesterday but they assumed it was a fluke. Went in today for my reg appt and it was still high. And belly is measuring small (which hasn't happened this whole time) I had to get blood work today, I go back in tomorrow for a nonstress, another ultrasound and bp check. Said depending on results I may be induced. Excited he can come early but kinda panicking cuz like I said everything's been perfect until now. 39w yesterday. 
  • @kaitlinliz Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow! I'm glad you and your baby are getting good, attentive care. <3
  • @YesOuiCan thanks! Bp still high so I'm at hospital now getting ready ! 
  • Anyone get induced early due to high BP? I haven't had any real issues this whole time. Had a high BP yesterday but they assumed it was a fluke. Went in today for my reg appt and it was still high. And belly is measuring small (which hasn't happened this whole time) I had to get blood work today, I go back in tomorrow for a nonstress, another ultrasound and bp check. Said depending on results I may be induced. Excited he can come early but kinda panicking cuz like I said everything's been perfect until now. 39w yesterday. 
    @kaitlinliz yes, I was induced because of high BP that would not go down. I had to be put on a magnesium drip and given IV meds because it wouldn’t come down. I only had one other episode of high BP, but when I got to L&D it had come down and I was discharged. My BP is still a tad elevated and is still being monitored by my OB. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kaitlinliz best of luck! No personal experience, but a friend was recently induced early at 39w2d due to high blood pressure that cropped up at the end. She was perfectly healthy up until then and delivery went well. Her baby boy is 6 weeks old. 
  • angbaby83angbaby83 member
    edited November 2017
    @kaitlinliz I wasnt induced but my blood pressure was higher when I went to L &D the first time and they were concerned.  When I went in after my water broke my pressure was back to normal and havent had problems since then.  Sending good thoughts.  Its hard when unexpected things happen.  Hoping for a good delivery for you  :)
  • 40 weeks tomorrow and my induction is set for 8 pm on Thanksgiving :(
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Thanks everyone! So I was induced. Have been at the hospital since about 4pm. Induced at 7 and still waiting. No meds minus heartburn and nausea so far. They did find protein in my urine after the fact so as long as my bp doesn't go back up (it went down after I was admitted) I don't need any bp meds but they're monitoring it closely