June 2018 Moms
Options

Let’s Talk...

Thanksgiving! 

It is officially November, which means Thanksgiving for us here in the US. 

I am hosting a big “Friendsgiving” event this year and want to mix up the menu a bit. But with MS in full swing, my tasty radar is a bit askew right now. So I need some inspiration. What do you all do for food on Thanksgiving. Appetizers? Mains? Sides? Desserts? Throw it all at me.  

Maybe this can can be considered a bit of a GTKY thread and we can also talk about any special traditions of Thanksgiving in your family and/or your favorite part of the Holiday. 

I will post my normal menu below. Maybe we can all get some inspiration from this thread :) 

Re: Let’s Talk...

• Options
    What I normally make (or things I have made in the past) 

Appetizers: 
       Deviled Eggs 
       Spinach Dip 
       Shrimp Coctails
       Bacon Wrapped Dates 
       Pork Tenderloin Crostini 

Main Meal:
       Turkey 
       Mashed Potatoes 
       Gravy 
       Sweet Potato Casserole 
       Green Bean Casserole 
       Bacon and Brown Sugar Green Beans 
       Stuffing (fresh and boxed) 
       Corn Bread 
       Rolls 
       Cranberries (fresh and canned) 

Dessert: 
       Pies and Cheesecakes 
  • Options
    @BurlapandLace Bacon and Brown Sugar Green Beans?!? I’m intrigued. Could I possibly have that recipe? 

Also, I’m not too much help, we do traditional thanksgiving, but we do fry our turkey (live in the south). I’ve been craving stuffing for two weeks now, so I’m counting down the days until homemade stuffing.  

For apps in the past, I’ve made a turkey shaped cheese and crackers tray. That was a hit. I’m all about a theme (it’s the teacher in me). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BurlapandLace Yaaassss!! Love cooking for Thanksgiving. I don’t do anything particularly unusual except the turkey and the cranberry sauce.

I have a TINY oven in my apartment and have trouble fitting even a turkey breast in the dang thing. So, my mom always orders us a smoked turkey from Greenburg’s in Texas. It is sooo good. When it was delivered last year, our doorman accepted it and it sat behind our front desk for a few hours. Everyone who walked by was asking about it and I think multiple people (including one of our doormen) ordered them for Xmas. 

Im also obsessed with my cranberry sauce. It is a spicy Pinot Noir. It has some unusual ingredients, but totally worth the trouble. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_cranberry_sauce_with_pinot_noir/
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Pretty typical southern fare at our house: 

-Turkey and gravy
    -Cornbread dressing
    -macaroni and cheese 
    -collard greens 
    -deviled eggs 
    -mashed potatoes or sweet potato soufflé depending on my mood
    -rolls
    -green beans (fun fact: I really hate greenbean casserole and admitted this to my family who also admitted they hate it too and we stopped making it  :D, so now I just sauté them)  
    -pecan and pumpkin pie 

Gosh, now I wish it was Thanksgiving. So hungry. 

I typically cook for the family. Last year I was on bed rest with pre-e and I dictated to my husband how to make the entire meal from the couch. He did amazing and Thanksgiving was saved, lol. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This thanksgiving we are hosting and taking in stragglers that have no where to go. I hate turkey and found out so does everyone else that is coming, so we are having a spiral ham instead. Haven’t figured out sides yet but will most likely include stuffing, green bean casserole (even though I hate it) and of course pie. 
  • Options
    We are going to a Friendsgiving about 2 hours away the weekend before Thanksgiving and I need to bring a side dish that can travel and possibly be served at room temp.  I was thinking a grain salad with squash / cranberries, but anyone have any other suggestions?!
  • Options
    Favorite appetizers at our house:
    Baked Brie with cranberry chutney
    “Yummy” cakes (English muffin with creamy mayo mixture on top) 

for dinner it’s usually: turkey, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, oyster dressing, and homemade rolls

dessert: apple, pumpkin, pecan pie

also...I am now STARVING
  • Options
    My favorite side dish that DH's gram makes is the most simple thing. She makes those long, flat noodles (I don't know names of different noodles lol). And just covers them with the home made gravy. Ugh! I can't wait!
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    yaaaas to the big noodles...and stuffing.  MMM I make stuffing all winter.  It may have to happen this weekend. 
  • Options
    Love this idea!  Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday because everyone in our family gets four days off, eats the big traditional meal for lunch then we head up to my parents cabin in northern MN for the long weekend. Santa comes to some of the stores on black Friday and they end the day with a parade down Main Street.  It's just an all around great weekend.  

Our Thanksgiving meal looks very similar to everyone else's.  Turkey, mashed potatoes, homemade sweet corn, dinner rolls, green bean casserole, cracker, meat and cheese trays, and of course several different kinds of pies for dessert.  

YAY!  I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!  <---And yes, that was totally worth "yelling".  :)  
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! Outside of the traditional foods, I love to make sausage stuffed mushrooms and our family tradition is mashed rutabaga! So good!! DH is obsessed with pumpkin cheesecake so we usually buy one of those from an incredible bakery in Milwaukee (Simma’s for all you Wisconsin ladies)!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This year we're traveling out of town to go to my cousin's house.  There will be a ton of family there, so we're staying at a hotel a couple miles away.  I don't want to just show up and eat their food, and I can't go grocery shopping as we arrive Wednesday night after a 7 hour drive.  If anyone has suggestions for a side dish that we can easily transport ingredients and throw together in someone else's kitchen, I'm all ears!

We actually do like green bean casserole and may just pack up the items for that, but I don't know if her oven will be free.  So I'm also open to crock pot type side dishes as we can bring ours.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Options
    @emjeve we also do mashed rutabaga (or beggie as we call it) I wonder if that is a WI thing?

Usually our Thanksgivings are pot luck style or people bring/make their same thing every year. My mom makes, turkey, beggie and mac & cheese. I always bring mashed potatoes (because I get 10 lbs of them from work). Others bring tofurky, green bean casserole, salads, rolls, pies, etc. 

On my in-laws side they don't do Thanksgiving because hunting over laps it so all the men are in the woods. I have told MH that he better be out of his tree by Wednesday because he needs to come with to my mom's because we are telling immediate family then. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    Love this thread!

We're having our Thanksgiving this weekend, actually, because my brother is up from Arkansas.

We don't traditionally do any sort of "appetizer", because we usually invite people to be there right when food is going to be done, so they don't have to wait. But, my mother chose the time this year, not us, so we'll need appetizers. And it's a lot more people than normal. It'll end up being 19 people. If my other brother ends up making it, that'll bump it to 23 people.
    I was thinking deviled eggs and buffalo chicken wing dip this year for appetizers, though. Maybe cheese and crackers.

For the dinner itself:
    Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce (jellied and whole), gravy, green beans, corn, stuffing, broccoli cheese casserole, rolls, salad, fruit salad...
    Sometimes my mum makes banana nut bread, which I love.

For dessert:
    Homemade pumpkin pies, apple pies, probably pumpkin pie cheesecake. Maybe sweet potato pie.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    @BurlapandLace can I be your friend?? Your typical menu has me ready for food! Bahahah. 

We make a smallish turkey and "ham balls" -- meatballs made out of ham loaf, mixed with pineapple topped with a sweet/sour glaze. So. So. So. Good! ((We just follow the recipe on the side of the container))
  • Options
    Great appetizer:
  • Options
    I don't cook for thanksgiving, I don't feel old enough yet. The last couple years we do a friendsgiving at our house a couple weeks before. It was actually inspired by being late to Thanksgiving and much of the food being gone so we had scraps. I'm sure we will to it again. My menu for that is pretty short: chicken, meatballs (yeah I have never made a ham or turkey baby steps), dressing, mac & cheese, greens, red beans & rice, corn bread, banana pudding (I don't bake), additional store brought dessert. And whatever "friends" bring. If the menu is odd its bc my husband is picky mash potatoes & any vegetable he doesn't eat.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Options
    @ffw0617 No mashed potatoes!?  How does he survive?  
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 I don't understand it. He doesn't even eat hamburgers/cheeseburgers. By the time I realized I already loved him.
  • Options
    We're doing two thanksgivings this year, one next week and one on the regular day, since DH will be gone for the actual day. 
    Appetizers:
    Deviled eggs 
    Relish tray 

Main meal:
    Turkey
    Ham
    Gravy
    Mashed potatoes 
    Sausage stuffing
    Corn casserole
    Green bean casserole 
    Rolls

Deserts:
    Pecan pie
    Pumpkin pie
    Apple pie
    Chocolate pudding pie
    Green jello with cottage cheese and pineapple
  • Options
    We're vegetarian so I make miso shallot seared green beans with brown-butter roasted garlic mashed potatoes and some tofu. Maybe some vanilla sugar croutons with vanilla ice cream and red wine berry sauce. 
  • Options
    We are pretty traditional with thanksgiving.
    Appetizers-
    Deviled Eggs
    Veggie/cheese tray

Dinner-
    turkey
    Ham
    mashed potatoes
    Au Gratin potatoes-not traditional but delicious!
    stuffing
    fruit salad
    Corn on the cob

Dessert-
    Pies
  • Options
    This thread is making me so hungry!

We're pretty traditional at the events we attend.  My side of the family is huge (over 30 people at the event typically).  One family provides the staples turkey, ham, potatoes, and my grandma's stuffing recipe. The rest us us sign up for the sides, appetizers, desserts, drinks like a potluck. Always so yummy and nice to get some different sides every year.  Dh's side is us, his parents and his brother. MIL makes the exact same meal every holiday down to the store bought pies and the drinks. :)  Still tastes good and it's nice we don't have to think about how to travel hours with food along.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Honey ham and pumpkin cheesecake. Yum.
  • Options
    Oh man, this thread both was amazing and terrible since a wave of nausea hit a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, I usually work Thanksgiving (animals gotta eat too) and I always feel guilty making DH stay home, so he goes to AZ with his family. I used to go too and it's amazing! My FIL has a ranch in the desert and usually between 50-100 people show up. Last year for thanksgiving, I did the most depressing thing ever and bought a "thanksgiving dinner for one" at the grocery store.. probably gonna do that again this year.

I will say if I was going to do something, my all time favorite dish is a cheesy potato casserole with corn flakes on top. YUM! I also do a broccoli and cheese casserole and love to bake, so I would bake at least 3 different pies and maybe a pumpkin or eggnog cheesecake. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• Options
    We do thanksgiving with DH aunt, but my bil/sil come over and we do baked bbq chicken breast, crack potatoes, green beam casserole, corn casserole, stuffing, Mac n cheese, and pie
  • Options
    I’m so excited for Thanksgiving this year! We didn’t go last year because DD was only 2 weeks old and the thought of everyone breathing over my newborn was enough to keep us home and order a fab meal from a local bbq spot. 

We do a potluck style at my parents house. There’s about 20-25 of us (and growing!) every year.  And it is a southern, soul-food smorgasbord of goodness, y’all.  

Apps:
    Crab salad dip with crackers
    Chicken drummettes

Entrees:
    Fried turkey
    Ham

Sides:
    Collard greens seasoned w a turkey leg
    Green beans
    Sausage dressing
    Baked sweet potatoes
    Mac-and-Cheese - the baked kind with milk and sour cream, non of that stovetop stuff
    Rolls

Desserts
    Pecan pie
    Sweet potato pie
    Red velvet cake with cream cheese icing 

I’m sure I’m forgetting something. Definitely ready to eat now. We will probably announce to extended family then since I’ll be 10.5 weeks. 

Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Amphibious22 thanksgiving dinner for one sound like what I order on Thursdays at Cracker Barrel (that's when they have turkey & dressing on the menu) but for actually on Thanksgiving that is depressing

@Ash9614 hmmmm.... I was going to have a separate Sunday dinner to announce to extended family, but I might announce at Thanksgiving. But MH won't be there (or at most he eat first and immediately leaves) he works at an event that weekend and has to hit the road to be there by Friday morning. Last year I went with him, but being pg I don't think I should be out in the cold 3 days straight.
  • Options
    Being expats and non holiday celebrators since moving here almost 4 years ago.... I have to say the season I miss the most is the winter holiday season. My family is huge and we always come together to celebrate over a the month from Thanksgiving thru Xmas and sometimes even new years. Every year since I can remember we would all go to WI and house hop for the two holidays between the family that lives there permanently. It was fantastic! So much food. All delicious. This thread reminded me of those years. I will probably make a dinner similar to what we would have had at some point over the month of November, but probably not on the day of Thanksgiving. I loved mashed potatoes and the sweet potato casserole with the marshmallows and gravy and stuffing. I'll probably just do chicken because I have a gross and funny story about the first time I cooked a large bird (turkey) for Thanksgiving when I was 19 and it has since turned me off of turkey....but only when it looks like one... Presliced no problem. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our big Friendsgiving/Thanksgiving dinner is officially on Saturday and I’m getting excited. 

We decided to do sort of a pot luck style thing this year where we are doing the turkey and everyone is bringing something to share, and I am doing a few sides to fill in the gaps. This is what the menu looks like it’s shaking out to be: 

Apps: 
    Deviled Eggs*
    Spinach Dip & Bread 

Main Meal:
    Turkey*
    Mashed Potatoes* 
    Gravy* 
    Scalloped Potatoes 
    Homemade Stuffing
    Boxed Stuffing* 
    Baked Beans 
    Green Bean Casserole 
    Roasted Carrots 
    Rolls 
    Salad
    Cornbread
    Fresh Cranberry Sauce 
    Canned Cranberry Sauce*
    Sweet Potato Crack* 

Desserts:
    4 Later Chocolate Dessert
    Pies (pumpkin, apple, pecan) 
    Cheesecake 

The items with * by them are what I am in charge of. The rest is being brought by our guests.