November 2017 Moms

Hospital bag question

I know we’ve discussed this many times but I tried to search for my answer and couldn’t find it. BTW I am a TTM but my first two I gave birth to in Botswana Africa. 

1.Do do I need to pack pads or does the hospital give them to you? Are their specific brands for the bleeding after giving birth(there was in Botswana)?

2. Do I need to pack diapers or does the hospital provide them?

3. Do you bathe your own baby? (In Botswana you didn’t) If so, do I need to pack a towel and baby wash or does the hospital provide that?

Thanks in advance!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Hospital bag question

• The hospital provided everything I needed for myself and baby. I brought my own toothbrush, toothpaste, clothes, shampoo, body wash and such. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was told to bring the going home outfit for you and baby. A onesie or 2 for baby while youre in the hospital. PJs for after birth for you. Extra clothes for DH. Toothbrush, toothpaste, if you want your own shampoo, body wash, etc. Our hospital suggested your own towels as well. They have some but if you want to be comfortable to bring your own, and your own pillow (in a non white pillowcase). I also have slippers packed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hospital will provide you with plenty of pads, diapers, all the baby care items while you are in there. Many places people even take home extras of these items. At my hospital you can bathe if you would like and they provide everything. Some parents elect to wait until they go home for the first bath 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• Hospitals tend to be different. Mine provided large pads and ice pack pads as well as mesh underwear and a peribottle.  They provided the diapers and a long sleeve top for baby but not real wipes, theirs you had to wet yourself. It was up to us for when we wanted the first bath, they don't do it right away because temperature regulation is very important but they did provide the supplies for the bath. 
    Our hospital allows you to take home the extras, they really aren't suppose to share between patients so I got some extra diapers and brought home some pads. I had brought a couple depends to wear at night and still have here at home but I really didnt bleed too much after the first few hours.  

I packed pajama pants and nursing tanks for me, slippers, toiletries for me and DH, an air freshener, we forgot pillows so my in-laws actually went out and bought us some. For baby I brought some simple clothes, our boppy, a diaper bag that was good to go for the way home.  Nipple pads and lanolin. I left in sweatpants and DH grabbed me a jacked from home because we had a storm going through. I wasn't trying to look spectacular.  
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited October 2017
    Have you done a hospital tour? If not, I would suggest you do. They are usually only 30-45 minutes, you get acquainted with the setup and they tell you all the amenities. 

Ours will provide everything we need for baby, but I plan to bring receiving blankets, baby towel for inital wipe off and my own pillow/PJs. I will likely have to use antibiotics for my Group B strep, so using towels and blankets I have rubbed on my own skin can help with transferring my good bacteria (for gut and immune health) to our baby since the antibiotics will kill all the flora she would get exposed to in the vaginal canal.

Also, babies don't really need a bath for at least a week and some studies suggest waiting a week to allow the flora/bacteria to benefit them. You can rub in the vernix (white waxy substance) and it will help moisturize their skin. 
  • The hospital I'm using provides everything and gives the baby his or her first bath. I didn't like the brand of diapers provided by the hospital when I had my daughter 7 years ago, so I waa happy to have a few of my own packed. 
  • Hospital probided all the mesh undies, pads, etc I needed for post partum care. I was happy I brought my own toiletries and comfy clothes to wear once I was able to move around (c section). One thing I thought would have been good to have was premoistened face wipes to wash my face when I was still bed bound. DH was glad I had packed him a blanket and pillow.
    As for baby, they have provided everything for his care. They bathed him his first day in NICU (not sure why) and have bathed him one time since with my help. They asked me if I wanted to do it on my own, with their help or let the nurse do the entire thing. I have a going home outfit for him - that's all.