January 2018 Moms

Questions for STM+s 10/25

Re: Questions for STM+s 10/25

• DS was a June baby and I recently got his boxes of NB and 0-3 months clothes down and was surprised there seems to plenty of pants (never worn), a few long sleeve onesies and plenty of warm jammies for this LO to wear. And this baby can actually wear the 25 beanies (not an exaggeration, I counted last time) we were gifted with our first. I haven't gotten around to washing anything yet but man I was gushing over how tiny NB onesies are. I live in Texas and with DS sometimes he just wore a diaper around the house since summers get 100+ degrees out and I'm looking forward to being able to bundle this boy up a little 
  • Question related to washing clothing: is using a free and clear detergent sufficient or do I need to buy special detergent for baby clothes? DH has eczema so we already use Costco's Kirkland brand free and clear.
  • Loading the player...
  • @kelk5 we always use free and clear for baby clothes and no dryer sheets. We only use special detergent for cloth diapers. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @kelk5 we used the free and clear. No problem. DS has eczema and we used that. Now I use the Mrs Meyers Baby laundry detergent because there is a slight scent to it and it doesn’t bother his skin so I keep buying it. But I’ll probably go back to using the free and clear for all their laundry since I don’t know how the scent will be on her skin. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We use All Free and Clear. My husband can't have dyes or it irritates his skin so we just use that for all our clothes. We also use dryer sheets- I throw everyone's clothes in together to wash if it's enough to make a load and DS hasn't had any issues with dryer sheets. I gotta have some kind of scent to my clothes or it doesn't seem clean to me lol 
  • Similar to @missblaze, DD was born in June. So I've already sorted and washed through 3M. Trying to decide what I need to buy for a Jan baby. Also sold a lot of the summer dresses, shorts and such in 3M size
  • We have always  used free and clear. I can’t stand dreft or any scented detergent anymore bc I’ve been using free and clear for so long now. 
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• Sorting through clothes was one of the first things I did after we found out we were having a boy. I wanted to know what I had from DD (June baby) that we could use-i did a lot of shopping in the boys section for onesies! People started asking us right away what we needed so I wanted to be able to have a list ready. 
  • I have yet to sort through DS’s old baby clothes. He was a September baby. But this time around we’re having a girl. So I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to reuse. I think I’m gonna be that weird mom that dresses her daughter in a lot of boy clothes and then just sticks a bow on her lol....also I’m having so many issues with baby clothes shopping this time around. DS was born while we lived in Virginia. We live in southern Arizona now, so we have maybe one “cold” month (around 40-50°) in January, then it’s back to 80° by February. It’s been so hard to try and buy clothes that will be weather appropriate here since everywhere switched over to sweaters and winter clothes despite the fact that we’re in the south. Ugh
  • @kelk5 and anyone else worrying about detergent. My midwife brought up a great point with DS about detergent. Baby is going to spend a lot of time pressed up against you and DH, so use the same detergent! I use Arm and Hammer Sensitive skin because I have super sensitive skin and I use the Bounce fragrance free dryer sheets. Never had a problem with DS. Plus you will end up throwing their clothes in with yours a lot when there are bodily fluids involved....
  • Any STMs do perineal massage (or FTMs this pregnancy)? Wondering what type of oil to use. Also, I find all of the descriptions of what you're exactly supposed to do to be so confusing! U-shaped direction? Press forward? Treat your vagina like a clock? Tell me where "midnight" is. If anyone has an amazing resource, I'm all ears. Gotta get started in case this LO makes an early appearance. 
  • @trudytudy, going through clothes was one of the first things I did, but being able to go through clothes is THE reason we found out this time. (We were Team Green with the girls.) Girls clothes have already been shipped off to a girlfriend who had her first girl last month, anything gender neutral has been washed, sorted and put away. 

@kelk5 I use a free and clear detergent for the whole family- always have. I don't use any dryer sheets; they're pretty awful for the environment and your dryer. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anyone else NOT have Braxton hicks? I didn't have any (that I was aware of) with DD, and I haven't had any to date with this pregnancy. Just wondering if I'm the weirdo/exception, or if anyone else has never had them. 
    (When I went into labor with DD, I thought I was finally having BH, because I'd never felt anything before). 

• I'm in the same boat, @IrishPiratess. I didn't have them at all with DD, and thought I was having BH the day I went into labor. I haven't had them this time around either (yet)...I'll be 33 weeks on Saturday. 
  • @cyanope YAY!!! Glad someone else is with me! I was feeling crazy, like, maybe i didn't know what was happening to me! I am THANKFUL I'm not dealing with them like some folks are! 

• @IrishPiratess and @cyanope me either! 32w1d over here also...thought I was in the minority as well.  And if I have had them, they clearly didn't do anything to me to make me question lol.
  • @IrishPiratess and @cyanope me either! 32w1d over here also...thought I was in the minority as well.  And if I have had them, they clearly didn't do anything to me to make me question lol.
    Exactly! if I had 'em, I had no clue. LOL. 

• @IrishPiratess No Braxton Hicks with my daughter or this time around either (31 weeks). 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @IrishPiratess - I haven't had any that I know of!
  • I'm in the same boat...if I've had them clearly I wasn't phased by them.
  • I didn't really want to revive the registry thread to ask this, so I'll ask on here. I know a lot of the STM+ have said they like the City Select double stroller. I got the Baby Jogger City Mini GT travel system, with the City Go Infant car seat. I was wondering if any of you have this car seat. I'm kind of annoyed because when it arrived, it had 2 huge warning stickers on each side of the head rest, which is NOT shown in any pictures of the car seat on the internet. They are sewn in, so I really don't think I can remove them. Just wondering if any of you have this car seat...if so, were you able to cover them somehow, or do they irritate your little one at all?
  • @libbberty I did perineal massage with DS1 (midwife and I both agreed everything had already been stretched for DS2 lol).  This site has an animated graphic and tips which I think is pretty useful. It was definitely NOT my favorite thing ever, but I will say I didn't have any tearing, so maybe it helped!
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Be thankful for no BH! I know they are supposed to be painful but with DD and Now even earlier with this one, my stomach tightens up so much it is really uncomfortable! 

I guess it’s just my “hostile uterus”.  :D

• I think I have enough BH to cover you ladies who aren't experiencing those! 
  • sbishop426sbishop426 member
    edited November 2017
    I'm gonna ask my OB about this at my appt on Friday but my dad wants us over at his lake house for Thanksgiving. It's a 5 hour drive not including necessary stops for me and tending to the toddler. I looked up the closest hospital (he lives out in the middle of nowhere) and it doesn't have a L&D just in case I need to go in. And the next closest hospital (haven't looked it up yet) could be really far away. I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about going now esp with no hospital nearby in case of an emergency.. 

ETA I'll be 33 weeks by that point 
  • I'm with @sbishop426! I'm so sick of the BH.
  • So over BH. I don't recall having them with DS, or if I did I never realized it, but this time around it's happening a ton. I just spent an hour or so at the copier and the last 20 minutes were awful, I was so glad to be done and able to sit down, even if it's just to make PITA labels.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• @sbishop426 my OB was fine with travel at least up until 36 weeks (I haven't asked past that...), but I'm also going to a place with a hospital.  Not sure if it was the timing or the fact there is a hospital real close or both.  Doesn't hurt to ask...but also a good excuse if you want to skip the longer trip (or family drama, if there is any...)
  • @sbishop426 your doctor will likely give you the go ahead - typically you can fly up til 36 weeks. If you do go, just make sure you stop often enough to walk a bit and get the blood flowing. At 35 weeks we drove about that distance and it was fine with the exception of some ankle swelling. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well the nearest hospital is 2.5hrs away. I think we'll be staying home lol. My dad can visit anytime so I don't think he'll be upset 
  • Thanks for the advice on using the same detergent and being okay to just use free and clear without buying special detergent for the baby. That is the answer I was hoping everyone would give :)

Anyone breastfeed and the father had severe food allergies (anaphylactic), did you avoid what the baby's father was allergic to? I took a breast feeding class last night at our hospital. She was saying that I should avoid tree nuts when breastfeeding since DH is severely allergic. She even recommended I avoid peanuts because the baby's uncle has a severe peanut allergy.  Related, I'm a severe shellfish allergy so we'll be talking to the pediatrician and likely an allergist before this baby tries any nuts or shellfish. I was surprised that I should avoid DH's and my BIL's allergies while breastfeeding. If I do, DH is going to have to give up peanuts with me. I love peanut butter.
  • @kelk5 I hadn't heard that but it makes sense - baby is just as likely to get a food sensitivity or allergy from Dad as from you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Thank you @KatieEl! Did you use any oil when you did it? I think I'm confused because some sites say USE coconut or olive oil, and others say DON'T use it. 

I'm trying to be an adult (because right now I'm trying to focus on the point that I can't control much, but I can try to give my LO a pleasant birthing experience), but I am NOT looking forward to this. At all. 
  • @kelk5, I don't have that exact experience, but something similar. Dh has a mild dairy sensitivity and Ds ended up developing a dairy allergy. (Not anaphylactic thankfully, but a terrible rash. We had it confirmed as an allergy with texting)
    We didn't notice it until after we had supplemented with dairy-based formula. So it's possible that the formula triggered the reaction and he would have been ok if he had just been nursing. But ultimately, his skin didn't clear up until I completely eliminated dairy from my diet. 
    So anyway, what you're being told seems like a reasonable precaution, even though I can totally relate to what a pain it is. Fortunately, with ds' sensitivity, we don't have a heavily dairy-based diet to begin with, but like all of the major allergens, they tend to sneak into frickin everything.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Thanks @mindaa and @bainidhedub, thanks y'all. I'm gonna follow the recommendation and plan to avoid all tree nuts and peanuts while breastfeeding unless a doctor says otherwise. I've eaten been eating them while pregnant but it seems breastfeeding is a whole different beast.
  • This question is for anyone who ever went to the hospital on a false alarm...did the hospital bill you?  I'm afraid to go in when I'm not sure, only for it to be a false alarm and get a giant bill
  • @TInman87 yes, I had to go to L&D twice with my previous pregnancy, mostly for monitoring, and each one was billed before DS came and were not cheap either.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • sbishop426sbishop426 member
    edited November 2017
    LO was breech at my appt yesterday. I know there’s still time for him to flip but my first was basically always head down from early on. At least I know where all this cervix pressure is coming from- my OB said his butt is pressing up against it. She checked my cervix just in case and it’s closed so that’s reassuring. 

She also said no to traveling to my dad’s lake house for Thanksgiving (middle of nowhere, 5 hrs without stops). Too far and I have to have access to medical care. I was doing a silent victory dance in my head bc I was not looking forward to that car ride and now I have a good excuse. My dad is a little disappointed but he can always come visit us
  • @kelk5 we had no history of food allergies in my family and DS ended up being allergic to dairy and eggs. He was breast fed for 16 months and my dairy and intake had absolutely no effect on him, so I guess it could depend on the allergy and it’s severity. Definitely talk to baby’s pediatrician and get them in with an allergist at 6 months, especially with the history of food allergies so close in the family. Since DS has the allergies this LO gets to go in right at 6 months to get the scratch tests so i don’t have to freak out every time I feed her.