May 2018 Moms

New Baby Name Thread

Re: New Baby Name Thread

• Loading the player...
  • suchaglencocosuchaglencoco member
    edited November 2017
    I don't mind sharing name ideas. I think my mom really appreciates it and she'll give me an honest opinion on if it's trying too hard or she'll help us try to think of bad nicknames that could occur.
    We told everyone with the twins what DS's name would be after we confirmed we had a boy at the u/s. We didn't decide on DD's name until after birth, but we told people it would probably by A or B. We had no issues with people disapproving of the names. I don't know if it's because we picked classic names or because they liked them or because they were scared to tell us they didn't like them, haha. 
    My 3 SILs (total from both sides) kept theirs a secret til birth. SIL 3 thought we were lying about not picking a name for DD. She didn't believe us until she came to meet the twins and saw their nursery. DS had his name above his crib and DD did not because we didn't know what it would be.
  • @arteduc8 totally agree on not sharing names. It's hard enough to choose a name and have both parents agree!
  • Is the name Bianca cultural in any way? I know it actually is an Italian word but I feel like it may be used a lot in the latino culture. DH disagrees but I just don't want to be insensitive in any way. Does anyone feel like that would be a culturally specific name since we are not of any ethnic culture?
  • Is the name Bianca cultural in any way? I know it actually is an Italian word but I feel like it may be used a lot in the latino culture. DH disagrees but I just don't want to be insensitive in any way. Does anyone feel like that would be a culturally specific name since we are not of any ethnic culture?
    Not that I know of. I like it.
  • I agree it is hard enough to get my husband and I to both like the same name let alone worry about everyone else’s opinions. Last time we told our very excited and very opinionated families that we were open to hearing their name suggestions and opinions but ultimately we didn’t really care what they thought about the name we chose. 

@charlestonchew I really like the name Bianca
  • @charlestonchew I like the name Bianca, and I personally don't think it "belongs" to any specific cultural group.  

I'm definitely feeling better about finding out the sex during the anatomy scan, because we are having such a hard time agreeing on a girls name, we need to know if it's even an issue.  I am so in love with the name Josephine, that I honestly can't even think about using another girls name.  And MH hates it.  Doesn't even want to use it for a middle name.   :s

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• my phone is being strange when I try to scroll up and find the person to tag, but whoever suggested Willow or is thinking about Willow, I am so in love with that name!! I would use it if I could, but our last name has 2 L's and a W and it would be way too much. 

For a boy, Julian seems to be the front runner as of right now. I thought about the spelling Julien instead which is French and our daughter has a French name. I think -an might be better though since that is how most people know it. 

For a girl, I love Everly. H likes it, but isn't completely sold. It flows great with our 2 other girls. H likes Shay. 

I have a coworker named Julian. He is from Chile. I like that name a lot. I do love Everly too. 
  • @sandbar517, I love Josephine.
  • @nanifrog Thank you!! I've loved it for years, I actually wanted to use it when we found out we were having two girls last time (we already had Abby's name picked out) and he vetoed it then, too.   :'(

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @sandbar517 love the name Josephine nn Josie  it’s DH’s grandmothers name 
  • Josephine was on our major maybe list the first few weeks of this pregnancy. Don't remember why we crossed it off.

Does anyone else have to test potential names with 3 different last name pronunciations? Our last name gets mispronounced 95% of the time and I always have to test how the name sounds with 3 different last names.
    It's a 6 letter name. It shouldn't be that difficult! 
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited November 2017
    @charlestonchew Bianca is a beautiful name. It is in my family (Italian) and i’d consider it but it has already been used by a close family member (after my grandma). 
  • @suchaglencoco my first and last name are almost always mispronounced. Often, people even change a letter in either the first Our last name so that They rhyme. It's weird. It never occurred to me to test out names with the wrong last name. That seems like a slippery slope and a recipe for never being able to choose a name.
  • I love the name Josephine!

To me, Bianca is all Italian but certainly (IMO) not a name that "belongs" only to those with an Italian background. I think it's pretty.
  • My husband, for what seems like the first time ever, just suggested a girl name. He really likes the name Addison, and my initial reaction was that I also like that name. I did a quick search on TB on the name board, and people really bashed it!! Seeking some honest opinions on whether it's truly so bad?
  • @RachelT1234 I think it's a fine name but personally not my style, I do think it's grown in popularity the last few years. 
  • @RachelT1234 I don’t think it’s bad, just rather popular. 
  • @RachelT1234 I think it's a unisex name as I've met a male and female named that. I actually just googled after typing that and it was originally a male name.

I know Addelyn or 30 other spelling variations is becoming popular for girls as well and it's a more feminine version of Addison.
  • @RachelT1234 I wouldn't side eye the name. There an Addison in my daughter's class whose nn is Addie. I like the nn. I think you're fine as long as you don't invent spelling for it. No c instead of s, no multiple ys.
  • o_so_in_loveo_so_in_love member
    edited November 2017
    cups4 said:
    I like older names.  We are having a girl and the 2 names I had written down when we were TTC are still on the top of my list.  It's funny how as second time parents, we know the sex even earlier than before but are not pushing names.  H and I are both liking Eleanor (Ellie or Nory/Nori?) and Cecelia (Cece). I can tell he is leaning toward Eleanor but I like Cecelia better.  The toddler has a more traditional name so both names work really well.  Middle names are already decided and will be my maiden name.
    I like older names too. We have a Henry, Meredith, and Judith in our brood of five. I also have Eleanor at the top of my list for this one. Husband likes Maisie. 
    This is probably a dumb question but how do you pronounce Maisie? DS has a little girl in his preschool class with the name and don't know if I'm pronouncing it correctly. Is it "Macy" like the store? I'm sorry.
    Like Daisy but with an M
    ? PgAL/PAL Welcome ? My Chart ?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • nanifrog said:
    @suchaglencoco my first and last name are almost always mispronounced. Often, people even change a letter in either the first Our last name so that They rhyme. It's weird. It never occurred to me to test out names with the wrong last name. That seems like a slippery slope and a recipe for never being able to choose a name.
    It worked just fine when naming our twins. I just know it'll be mispronounced their entire lives so I don't want their name to sound weird or dumb or too rhyme-y with the other pronunciations. 
  • @suchaglencoco Never thought of that situation.  My last name is very simple and easy to pronounce, so it's never been an issue for me.  It IS however one of the last names that's been commandeered into a first name for boys, and so I'm constantly being asked how to spell it.  ::eyes rolling so hard:: 
    @RachelT1234 It's definitely not a name on our list, and while I wouldn't side eye it, I would kinda go, "Oh, another Addison/Addy."  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• holli0801holli0801 member
    edited November 2017
    So now that we know it’s a girl, we decided on Fiona. I love it. I feel like the shrek  association has faded, no?

now debating middle.

Fiona Eileen or Fiona Lorraine? 

both are my grandmothers names... I always planned on Eileen, bc we were very close. But, I feel like Lorraine would mean so much to my dad (his mother).... the only reason we weren’t closer is she died when I was young. I appreciate any thoughts/opinions! 
  • I too only thought of Shrek, but it's not a negative association.
    Both middle names work. Try yelling them like you're calling her to come inside from playing and see which feels more natural. Or wait until birth and see which name fits her more.
  • @suchaglencoco and @sandbar517 ha! I meant to type Shrek! My bad... that’s totally what I meant. Thanks for the feedback! 
  • I think its an adorable name.  My first association with the name is actually Fiona Apple, shrek would be second.  
    I think both mn's work.  I think it's just going to come down to what one you guys prefer. 
  • @holli0801 I think Fiona is lovely! It wouldn't have really occurred to me to associate it with Shrek until you mentioned it, but I am not particular in touch with kid stuff atm :) Either middle name sounds good, but I think a lot of that depends on how it flows with your last name.

MH has raised a new objection to the name Theodore (which we previously both liked) because the show Theodore Tugboat is set here and the boat is around the harbor all the time. I would think that a kid would just be excited that a kid show has the same name as him, but am I wrong?

• @thunderberry I agree with you, that’s not a bad association! Kind of fun
  • @RachelT1234 Addison is a lovely name! My niece is named that and her nickname is Addy. They've never gotten negative feedback on her name. 
  • My husband has informed me that I get to pick the name because I am "doing all the hard work."  This bothers me, because I want him to have a say too.  I am leaning towards Summer which he didn't veto and was in our top 5, but still.  It would be nice for him to have input.  His reasoning is "he will love her regardless of her name."  

Anyone else experience this?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My husband has informed me that I get to pick the name because I am "doing all the hard work."  This bothers me, because I want him to have a say too.  I am leaning towards Summer which he didn't veto and was in our top 5, but still.  It would be nice for him to have input.  His reasoning is "he will love her regardless of her name."  

Nope but i wish I got full say. I also love the name summer, and it's on my short list.  Not sure if SO is on board. His top pick right now is Brielle and I just don't know how I feel about it.  

Sort of, but not. I almost wish DH would do this. He doesn't like thinking about names and won't look up names, but he likes to veto names. It's been annoying in the past. I'm trying to hold off with the names because he still doesn't believe we're having a boy anyway. He's a really great husband, but names just aren't his thing but he h doesn't want to completely not be involved.
  • @bwow615 it's a double-edged sword lol.  I guess I can't complain too much since we were able to compromise on our son's name and we had a second boys name picked out before our first was born.  Although, I pretty much came up with those names too but he was immediately on board.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @heelsidehero I wanted my husband to LOVE the names too. If he generally loves several, I’d be totally okay picking the final choice. Does he love Summer? If he does, go for it! If he is meh, I’d keep looking...

• @holli0801  i don't think he "loves" any of the names I've picked, but he has definitely said when he doesn't like a name.  We have about 4-5 right now that have not been vetoed.  (Note: I put them all on the list, he hasn't suggested any of his own even when I urge him to).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @heelsidehero, if he is saying no to names, I wouldn't worry. I don't think it's easy for everyone to get excited about names. Also, I really think the experience is different for men. The pregnancy isn't as real to them until they can feel the kicks or they're holding their kid. You might have to just keep a list and make a final decision once baby is born. I find that very, very hard since it's so real for me.