June 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions (week of 10/23)

What questions do you have for us this week?

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

Re: Weekly Questions (week of 10/23)

• Options
    When is everyone going to stop sleeping on your backs and stomachs? Everything I read says "after the first trimester" you need sleep on your left side, etc., but I can't fall asleep unless I'm on my stomach. I honestly think my blueberry baby is just fine, but didn't know if anyone heard any different?
    Nov Sig Chall

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @basemodel - Back sleeping is frowned upon because once baby is bigger/heavier, there's the chance that they'll cut off the blood supply to your legs/uterus, or at least diminish the blood supply. So, right now, back sleeping won't be a problem for any of us. Once the baby starts getting bigger, then you'll kind of have to gauge it yourself. Like @fantasticmrsfox said, you can always put a pillow behind one side of your back to keep the pressure off.
    As for belly sleeping, I've never been a belly sleeper, but I see no problem with it right now. Your uterus isn't really out of your pelvic area yet, so there's no actual risk to "squishing" the baby. I feel like once you start growing more, you'll really start to feel yourself that it's too uncomfortable to sleep on your belly.

PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    @basemodel Yes.  I'm a stomach sleeper and 100% agree with @izza2 and @fantasticmrsfox!  Your body will kind of tell you when you can/can't sleep on your stomach/back anymore.  With our previous pregnancies I would sometimes wake up on my back and freak out, but I would never go to sleep that way.  

AFM, What do you all drink throughout the day to stay hydrated?  I usually drink a ton of water, and enjoy it, but the last few days it has not appealed to me.  I bought a few bottles of the off brand of these waters (image below)  thinking just a little flavor and fizz would be good but it didn't really agree with me.  I don't know if it's the sugar or what?  I'm not a pop drinker and I don't really care for the carbonated flavored water either.  We have those little packets of drink mix at work, I may try one of those later today but that's full of sugar too.  AND my morning coffee has not appealed to me either so I quit drinking coffee too.  Not all bad except when I slept like crap and could use a little caffeine to wake me up a bit!  
     Image result for best choice brand kiwi watermelon water
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 water or flavored La Croix. No sugar or fake sugar stuff. 
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 have you tried fruit diffusing water? I know you can get fancy bottles for it but you could just throw some berries or citrus fruits in there. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @basemodel I'm a back sleeper, so I'm just going to roll with it for now. Then, later, do what @fantasticmrsfox suggested and kind of wedge a pillow in there to try to stay comfortable.

@PatientlyWaiting10 I've mentioned this before, so sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I love the flavored Perrier in the can. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 We get the La Croix water at work for our break room and I don't really care for the "carbonated" flavor.  I know, sounds crazy.  Thank you for the suggestion though!   I do agree, anything with the fake sugars are no good...

@krashke That's a good idea!  I should try that.  

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

• Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 what flavors have you tried? Some are better than others. Cherry Lime (cherise limon) is way better than the rest, IMO. I also really love the passionfruit one. 
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 The sparkling may be not agreeing with you. We have a soda stream to make sparkling water at home and it's been giving me major gas pains so I've had to stick with flat water. I believe that kind of drink also has some sort of artificial sweetener, you could be reacting to that as well.

DD: 09/16/14 @ 37 weeks
    Baby #2: BFP 09/29 @ 11 DPO | EDD: 06/11/18
    Betas: 10/04 - 235 | 10/10 - 2,975 | 10/13 - 8,150 | 10/16 - 21,987

• Options
    jsl82jsl82 member
    edited October 2017
    @basemodel it is after 20 weeks that you are not suppose to be on your back for long.  As for stomach sleeping that is your body just not being comfortable.  I saw a picture at the end of my last pregnancy of a woman lying on her stomach with a blow up inner tube (for a pool).  I have cats and was sure they would pop it with their constant needing, but think I'm going to try it this time around.  The giant pregnancy pillows that take up the entire bed are helpful as well- but really after 25 weeks nothing is going to make you comfortable and the frequent night time bathroom trips will ruin any chance of a full night sleep anyway.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    @basemodel agree with the others - - back sleeping is okay until around 20 weeks.  I occasionally would find myself on my back with DS in the later weeks, but the doctor said that was fine (and normal), but to try to stay on my left side.  I'm also a stomach sleeper.  Your uterus is behind your pelvis until week 12 or so.  I didn't show with DS until around 18 weeks, and I think I slept on my stomach until then.  Then, I got a snoogle and created a nest so it was still like I was sleeping on my stomach.

@PatientlyWaiting10 I usually only drink water, but like you, I have had some difficulty in recent days (week).  I know you said you don't like carbonated water, but lemon lime seltzer / lime seltzer has been the only thing semi-appealing.  For some reason, citrus flavors seem to quell my nausea.  Maybe try really cold lemon flavored water if you don't like seltzer?

@goldenlola - no sugar in la croix! 

• Options
    @doxiemoxie212 Lemon, lime and passionfruit.  May have to try another one and see how it goes! :)  Thanks!!  BTW Hope your trip back home was uneventful! 

All are welcome!

• Options
    @patientlywaiting10 I'm in a similar situation. Even water isn't appealing. And I'm having issues with anything even remotely sweet at all so that limits alot. and most flavors of food or water give me the extra saliva/metal taste which makes me feel just gross. so i'm struggling.
    before pregnancy the only pop I liked was sprite. so this summer I got into the lime carbonated water (Dasani I think?). But I've now tried 3 different brands and just can't even do that. my best bet right now is getting really cold water and drinking as much as I can while its cold.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    Yes!  @catlady1215 Really cold seems to be the only way I like it.  And I don't like ice because of sensitive teeth so it's tough!  ha!  I sound like a diva!! 

All are welcome!

• Options
    @patientlywaiting10 I don't like ice either lol. I swear it changes the taste of my water!
  • Options
    oh! @patientlywaiting10 i thought of something you should try if you don't already. Try using a straw with the extra cold water. I found with my son's pregnancy it went down a hell of a lot easier. I didn't even think of that tidbit till now cause I've probably been using a straw cup ever since (2012 lol), so its second nature for me.

• Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 - Just gonna second adding some fruit/veggies to your water to flavour it. Cucumber is great, but so is pretty much any fruit you can think of that might taste good. Gets you hydrated, but doesn't taste like plain/flat water.
    I've mostly stuck to ginger ale, but that's because it's the only thing keeping my nausea at bay. Eventually I need to buy some other stuff with ginger to take care of that so I can go back to "regular" water, but at the moment the more water I drink (aka, the less ginger ale I drink), the more nauseous I get. :tired_face:

PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    Thanks ladies!!  @catlady1215 and @izza2

All are welcome!

• Options
    Does anyone have a shared calendar app they like? I'd like to have one DH and I can both easily use and have on our phones bit syncs.
  • Options
    @krashke I've tried that before and unfortunately it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's because DH has an android phone and I have an iPhone or what the situation is but it doesn't end up working.... like it never syncs properly....
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 I made a calendar on a Google Doc that we both access from any device.  It works for us, but definitely has limitations because it isn't actually a calendar.
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie I use Google calendar. 
  • Options
    So I am having bad constipation. I looked up colace and miralax and they are both Class C so I'm going to ask the doctor tomorrow. But in the meantime I bought a bottle of prune juice per my moms recommendation. Anyone tried prune juice before and if so how much per day for relief? Thanks! 
  • Options
    @katie121209 I've had terrible constipation. I used Magnesium Citrate (the liquid kind in the bottle) and it seemed to do the trick. After extensive googling I determined it was safe, but if you're concerned check with the doc.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @katie121209 well I just ate an entire jar of pickles in one sitting, and it got things moving. A bit too much. ;)
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 lol!! I don't think I could stomach that many pickles! @LaceyBee522 I'll look into that thanks! 
  • Options
    Has anyone been told to take extra vit d besides whats in prenatal? I havent been pregnant in four years so was wondering if this is now the recommendation?
  • Options
    zamoraspinzamoraspin member
    edited October 2017
    @state721 I am taking extra Vitamin D because I had an insufficiency that was found during my RPL testing (I was already taking prenatals). It can’t hurt, it’s water soluble and high D Vitamin levels are associated with successful pregnancy. 
    Edit - did a quick google https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/vitamin-d-and-pregnancy/
  • Options
    @basemodel I hated side sleeping and it was painful later on, so i would just lay on my side, wedge my pregnancy pillow under me, then roll halfway onto my back. So kind of like sleeping on my back but still halfway on my side propped up by the pillow.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 yes plain water has been making.me feel nauseated the past couple days!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @katie121209 Id start off with just a glass and add as needed. When I'm constipated I can usually eat 2 prunes and that gets things going for me...Ive never tried with juice though! 
  • Options
    Anyone dealing with low blood sugar? I think this is what my dizziness is from. Any tips on dealing with it? I’ve been trying to re-evaluate my diet to help and will definitely be talking to my ob about it this coming Monday. 
  • Options
    @kbrown2385 - Eat several small meals a day, and if you need to, eat a snack between meals (nuts, or something else healthy) to keep your blood sugar up.

PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    @basemodel i am already trying to switch to left side sleeping. I have a ginormous bladder though and it makes my uterus really high. Ive always had to empty my bladder for my transabdominal ultrasounds because of it or else it squishes my uterus flat. No one has told me that because my bladder pushed my uterus up that i need to side sleep early but im paranoid.
  • Options
    Is anyone taking an additional choline supplement, or knows if it's safe/not safe? I'll ask my OB of course, but I've been reading how great choline is for pregnancy but the cheap prenatals don't even include it and the expensive ones just include a pittance. You could also get it from eggs but the thought of eggs make me want to harf. 
    Nov Sig Chall

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @basemodel I'm taking a general prenatal supplement that includes choline. It has extra DHA, Omega-3s, Choline, and Vitamin D. It is called Happy Mama Prenatal Supplement. Definitely ask your doc, but I've been reading so much about Omega-3s and Choline that I wanted to add something.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @katie121209 i second magnesium. My last pregnancy it was the only thing that worked. I tried prunes, prune juice, mineral oil, stool softeners, even sennakot and exlax. I ended up taking a blended one as it worked better than plain magnesium citrate for me but my midwife had recommended the magnesium citrate. I took it everyday and it helped with the gas and bloating too.
  • Options
    Is it normal to have a low grade fever in the beginning of pregnancy? I am at 99-100 most mornings and feel the worst MS at that time but am normal by the afternoon.