June 2018 Moms

Early Glucose Screening?

This is my 2nd pregnancy, and apparently they are now suggesting that if you have a family history of Diabetes you should get an early glucose screening.
So SURPRISE! Because one glucose screening isn't sh*tty enough, now I get to do one in a couple weeks and then again at 28 weeks!
UGH! Anyone else in the same boat?
Anniversary

Re: Early Glucose Screening?

• There a several indications for 1st trimester glucose challenge. I'm guessing I will end up doing it this time because of my bmi. I'm borderline for the cut off of doing it vs not doing it.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The dr I saw today first suggested I do the 1hr test in a few wks (11wks). Then said we can hold out till 16wks (cause she has me doing other tests then.. so less visits). If I pass, I'll then do it again at 28 wks.

i had gestational diabetes, and on insulin, with my son. Plus a family history of early diabetes.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmm I had GD with my first pregnancy. I wonder if that means they will test me earlier then?
  • @pinktorridora that stinks. This is news to me... I do have a family history of diabetes though I wasn't affected in previous pregnancies. I'll have to ask my OB about it. 
  • @katie121209 I had gestational diabetes with my first that was completely diet controlled with no family history of diabetes so my doctor isn't testing me early...so maybe it depends on if you were diet vs medication controlled and/or with a family history?
  • *Sorry Lurker from April 18 (i know you guys don't like that)*

I had GD in my first pregnancy I had to be on a diet and monitor my blood sugar.  This time around I had to do a 3 hour at 12 weeks.  So now I'm on the GD diet early and will have to test again at 24 weeks, to see if I just need to keep with the diet only or start monitoring blood sugar again.  There is a bit of family history of diabetes in my family but my dr told me the only reason I was tested early this time was because I had it last time.  So like @momac1919 said maybe it all depends on your history/family history to see why you need test early. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I probably should have added that I was very borderline last time but they made me do the whole shebang to be safe which is the reason my doctor isn't making me test early...although I still have all my testing supplies so I may test myself a few times throughout before just to see
  • @momac1919 you are likely right. Mine was diet controlled. After birth my A1C was checked and was borderline at a 5.7 so I worked really hard on diet and exercise and got it down to a 5.2. I'm curious what my doctor will say. The GD diet helped me control pregnancy weight gain but all I wanted was carbs lol so it was a tough one to be on. 
  • @katie121209 they never tested my A1C but had me repeat a 2 hour glucose test after - which they said came back perfect so I never did any further testing. I think being on the border helped me control my weight really well during pregnancy and lose the weight after but girl I totally feel you about the carbs...all I wanted was donuts and literally the day my water broke I was that pregnant lady crying in the pop tart aisle at Kroger because I wanted one so bad but knew I shouldn't. I have found some fantastic sweets recipes from keto friends that I can share with anyone who ends up being diagnosed but still has a little sweet tooth...and that will hopefully prevent me from being that pop tart lady again if I'm diagnosed :)
  • @momac1919 yes I'm sure some of us will love those recipes when the time comes!! I just had a horrible lunch of pizza and a cupcake and texted DH that I need to start having more balanced meals!
  • I had diet-controlled gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy. The only risk factor I had was that my paternal grandfather had type 2 diabetes. I have an order to take a 1-hour glucose test sometime before 12 weeks (I'm 7 weeks as of yesterday). I was told my insurance will only pay for a 3-hour test if I fail the 1-hour first. If I pass the first round of testing I have to repeat the tests around 28 weeks.
    Image result for can i interest you in a sarcastic comment
    Me: 33  DH: 34
    DS1: March 18, 2016
    DS2: due June 7, 2018