November 2017 Moms

L & D Clothing

dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
edited October 2017 in November 2017 Moms
Have you given much thought to what you will wear during labor and delivery?

I know we talked about packing the hospital bag and things to bring, but I am curious what people are planning to wear during actual delivery. For STMs, did you wear the hospital gown the first time? If so, are you changing it up this time around?

Re: L & D Clothing

• Oh my, I feel so sexy in this....NOT! 

But it beats a hospital gown...I think. My friend suggested having my own gown so I feel a little more normal and "human" during labor at the hospital. Lol. So I got this lovely thing for $14 a Walmart tonight. At least it is comfy. 

• I'm bringing a lightweight robe from home and possibly buying a long tshirt style nightgown.
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan to wear the hospital gown during delivery because I heard it can get a little dirty. I have my own gown and robe to put on after delivery before guests come.
  • Nothing. That is . No particular outfit. I imagine I'll just want to be comphy and obviously accessible . If things work out and this baby flips head down I'm likely to revisit our origina plannof minimalnintervention and will want to use water to any degree that works at the time so there's a chance I'd wear anything from a t shirt the hospital gown a robe or nothing . I don't think what I have on is a priority in think his case and being a generally nude person I feel like I'll end up that way out of freedom of movement 
  • Honestly, when I was in labor I couldn’t have cared less what I was wearing. I just wanted the contractions to be over with and to deliver a healthy baby.  I didn’t mind the hospital gown and I don’t really want to spend money on something that might get ruined by my bodily fluids or cut if there’s an emergency CS. But if buying a gown for labor makes you more comfortable about the experience, I’m all for that. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • The first time around I labored in the hospital gown and it was a great choice. Bodily fluids were everywhere. I labored mostly at home but I labored in the hospital from 4 am until I had my emergency csection at 10 pm. Despite having a csection, I made it all the way to 10 cm and pushed for about half an hour, so my bodily fluids ran the gamut. I wouldn't have wanted any of that on my personal clothing. 
  • Labored in the hospital gown and gave birth in only a sports bra. I'm not buying anything special that will end up getting ruined when my water breaks or with blood.  After delivery I wore nursing tank tops from Target.  I may get something for my feet just for out of bed, I don't want socks on all the time, I'll be super hot and sweating anyways 
  • I've put a lot of thought into this. I will be using the hospital gown for the reasons above - I'm not buying something that'll get ruined anyway. And I plan on buying dark colored pjs - preferably nursing one's or easy ones to nurse in. Like pj pants and a tank top with robe or something. But definitely needs to be dark (and on the cheaper side) cuz I heard you can still get the pjs dirty afterwards 
  • Hospital gown it is for me as well, although I packed a bathing suit and a sports bra for if/when I head to the labor tub.  There's nothing I have the doctors, nurses, midwives, or my husband has not seen before, and I'd rather just wear the disposable hospital gown I do not care about than my own clothes that may be trashed.  I packed nursing tanks and bras and lounge pants to wear afterward, and a robe to wear over the hospital gown while I walk the halls so my bare backside isn't hanging out everywhere.  I'm chalking it up to years of theater, but my sense of modesty while being in front of medical professionals is pretty slim so if I end up stark naked I probably won't care much either.
  • Seriously, don’t spend your money on some fancy gown that’s “perfect for nursing” or anything like that. There’s so much fluid, you don’t want to wear anything that you don’t want ruined. I just wore the hospital gown, which was surprisingly comfortable, and I didn’t have to worry about ruining it. After giving birth, when I could walk again, I changed into one of my robes and wore that for the rest of my hospital stay. 
  • I spent my entire stay in the hospital gown. It was just easier that way with my CS recovery (catheter) and BFing. I was still pretty big when I left the hospital and bleeding a lot so I'm glad I didn't buy a non-maternity outfit. I will bring something's comfy to wear home. 
  • I'm planning to get a cheap, dark-colored t-shirt/tank style nightgown. I'll feel more comfortable walking the halls in that than the hospital gown.
  • I plan to birth in the hospital gown. However I did buy some new cheaper PJ's from Wal-Mart for the hospital for after baby is born cause I think I will feel more comfortable in my own clothes. The pj sets i bought have pants and a button shirt so I am thinking they will be easy for breastfeeding. 
  • I labored in the hospital gown. Once I shower, I change into sweats and and a maternity top for the remainder of the stay. I was going to buy the fancy nursing PJ's but unless I have a few sets to wear while the others are dirty/washing, I feel it's pointless. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am having a repeat c-section, but with my first I labored in the hospital gown. With my second I just wore the hospital gown too, our birthplace has nursing gowns available, so I will wear one of those until I am allowed to shower. After that I will wear the ever so sexy mesh underpants and some maternity sweats, which is likely what I will go home in.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm having a planned c-section and am happy to hear i can wear real clothes once I am able to shower.  Atleast, that's my plan.
  • I'm definitely wearing a hospital gown for L&D but will bring some nursing pajamas to wear for the rest of the hospital stay. It's nice to wear something semi-attractive for those days since there will be a lot of pictures and probably visitors, and also just because you will want to feel refreshed after all the craziness and exhaustion of birth.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • I use the hospital gowns and then change as soon as I get to the PP side. I don't like those gowns, but I don't want to mess my own clothes up during labor. I take black yoga pants and wear those. Hide any stains that may happen and comfortable!
  • Yep I plan on delivering in the hospital gown and then once things have calmed down I do have a dark green flowered nursing nightgown and light robe to wear to feel more myself. I made the mistake of bringing a T-shirt style one to my last delivery and couldn’t nurse in it without pulling the whole thing up. And I’m going to get some fuzzy slippers too 
  • @ariasbabyblog I'm having a repeat C/S Monday, Think ill be taking the same route as you. I wore the hospital gown the 1st time as well until allowed to shower. 
  • I wore my shirt, underwear and their robe until we broke my water, then just a top, naked in tub. After birth I wore a nursing tank and their lovely mesh underwear with ice pack pads onto of OB pads until I took a shower the next day. I spent my time there in comfy pajama pants and nursing tanks. 

Also, I can't recommend buying depends for wearing at night when the bleeding is a little slower. 
  • My sister bought me a lovely birthing gown that the hospital nixed when I went in. If your hospital does allow you to wear your own clothing during L&D, make sure there's an opening in the back for the epidural (if you're doing one!)
    DH & me - 31. 

BFP #1 09/27/14 -- MMC 5w (discovered 8w) 
    IUI #1 - #4  - bfn (late 2015 to early 2016)
    01/03/17 - 12mm x 6mm polyp removed from uterus- neg path, yay!
    IUI #5 - February 2017. Hoping for some magic 
    02.22.17 - BFP! EDD 11/01/17

Baby G has arrived! 10/14/17