June 2018 Moms
Options

FLU SHOT

Is it safe to get the flu shot while pregnant?

Re: FLU SHOT

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This might be a personal preference, but my OB says yes to the flu shot but not until after 12 weeks @clairekd30
  • Options
    Somehow I skipped it with my last pregnancy
  • Options
    Both my PCP and OB have recommended the flu shot. I'm scheduled to get one at 8 weeks at my PCP's office, but now I'm curious about what @RachelH77 said. I might check with my OB to see what she thinks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @silvergreen I'm not sure if it's just a personal preference of my OB or not but I will be waiting until 12 weeks
  • Options
    I got my flu shot a day before my BFP. They ask you if you’re pregnant or think you might be pregnant and if you say yes then they give you a different version of the flu shot.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @icecubeinthedesert funny you mention that article. My first pregnancy I got my flu shot around 6 weeks, found out at 11 weeks it was a missed miscarriage and the baby stopped growing around 6 weeks. Was it the flu shot? Who knows. It makes me paranoid enough to not get a flu shot when I’m pregnant though.
  • Options
    @icecubeinthedesert I saw an article about that too.  The one I read had OB’s chiming in saying how they were hoping that it didn’t spread fear of the flu shot amongst pregnant women because as you said, it was biased, etc.  They’re still stressing that the benefits far outweigh the risks for pregnant women and their unborn children.  
  • Options
    I'll be getting my flu shot at work next week around 5 weeks gestation. I'm much more concerned about getting influenza than about a vaccine.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    ras713ras713 member
    edited October 2017
    Fyi, new research is showing that getting the flu shot in the 1st tri can increase your risk of miscarriage. That said, the cdc is still advising to get it. 
  • Options
    Has our resident researcher @icecubeinthedesert weighed in on this study? Personally none of the OBs that I work with have said anything about it.  I've only seen anything about it on my local news station.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm probably in the minority here, but the only vaccine I have regularly kept updated is the dtap. I had the flu shot once before kids and idk what happened but 48 hours later I had what could only be described as flu like symptoms but amplified. It was horrid. I was sick for roughly 4 or 5 weeks with varying degrees of symptoms. I had a fever of 105 at one point toward the beginning and remember feeling completely out of my mind at that point. I am not asking anyone to agree with me... But for me the benefits don't out way the risk of whatever kind of reaction I had to that. On top of that, where I live I have not seen or heard of anyone with the flu since we moved here. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @izza2 and my luck that's probably what happened and I was definitely not saying the shot gave me the flu FTR. :smile: Just saying that obviously I had something, it didn't prevent it and for me.. I don't get them or want to for reasons above mentioned. :smile:
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am also not saying that anyone else should or should not be getting them. This is just my opinion for my body. :smiley:
  • Options
    The doc at my visit today ordered it for me, I even paid for it at the pharmacy but I've decided against taking it for now, even though I usually do take it myself annually. Just doesn't feel right while everything is so early and while I completely understand the importance/usefullness of vaccines, there is just too much of an unknown area when it comes to flu vaccine and pregancy.  I understand both sides of the issue, but going to follow my intuition for now. 
  • Options
    @fabbayt actually if you check the cdc website there's a great deal of research regarding the flu shot and pregnancy. They even link the studies...
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This is just my opinion for now, I literally work in healthcare, former bio/pre-med background so trust me I get the point of vaccines, but going with my gut for now...
  • Options
    So what about the risk of high fevers and the potential birth defects that can cause? Or risk of dehydration and the risks that can pose in pregnancy?   Not judging your opinion to wait/not get it, I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on the risks that getting actual influenza poses to pregnancies with your background in healthcare.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    fabbaytfabbayt member
    edited October 2017
    I'm aware of the research on both ends of the spectrum ..but this is the same government that systematiclly exposed people to syphilis for 40 years for research/science sake, just saying (the Tuskegee Experiment). I digress though,  I will save my theories for another forum, not the Bump lol.  Like I said, I get the point of vaccines and usually allow myself to injected with all these chemicals every year. It comes down to preference though and thankfully people have the right to choose and shouldn't be shamed for their decision
  • Options
    Um, that didn't answer my question?
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    fabbaytfabbayt member
    edited October 2017
    Hi Sabby2! I am honestly often hesitant to enter into discussions of this sort on public forums. Some people (not saying you btw dear, just in general) take things far too seriously ,become defensive and before long just downright nasty and I'd rather not be the target of any negative energy like that, especially during this time.  Because of this field I am in, I also try to limit discussion of big pharma, the government and the medical industrial complex as almost everything done online is discoverable. I  also do not want to scare anyone that isn't aware of the science and theories on this subject. Instead I would advise anyone that is interested to talk to your doctor, maybe read some publications from peer reviewed journals etc, not just random google searches.  I am personally going to do some more research on the formulation of the vaccine that was prescribed for me (see attached pic). I am in Dubai at the moment though, so this might be a little different than what is available in the states.
  • Options
    I get that and I'm not really one to get into a huge debate about vaccines on a forum because I don't think it facilitates rational conversation on the subject. I also agree it's best to speak with your doctor but the risks to pregnancy from influenza are a pretty big deal too in my opinion (not a doctor here but still pretty scary stuff).

I was more interested in your thoughts on that than on researching the vaccine (though I agree with you about advocating for yourself by researching what providers recommend to make an informed decision about your care).
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @sabby2 I don't believe it's my responsibility to answer your questions on a topic that is extremely divisive and personal.  Involvement in this forum is voluntary, no? My goal is not to convince anyone to not take any vaccine they think they should,  just to share my  own personal decision.  I've said what I feel like sharing regarding this subject, I wish everyone good health in their journey! 
  • Options
    I had an appointment with the nurse today. She asked if she could give me the flu shot (I'm 7w4d) and I told her I had concerns with first trimester shots. She said the office does not give the nasal because the shot is safer for pregnancies. I have most of the same thoughts as @fabbayt so I told her I wanted to do a little more research before I get the shot so early. I completely support Moms and their own personal autonomy. I just need a few more weeks to keep looking things over. She said that was fine as it was still early and I will let them know and go back.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @fabbayt Just curious what you do in the healthcare field? Seems like we've got a few of healthcare/researcher mommas on this board which will be a great resource for all of us!
  • Options
    I wait until 2nd trimester to get mine. My mom gets her flu shot every year because she works in a hospital and it is mandatory and every single time she gets extremely sick for about a week. Obviously the benefits outweigh the risks for most, but that does not mean it is best for everyone.
  • Options
    @halesnwhales I get very sick as well when I receive it. So that is part of my fear of getting it in the 1st trimester. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I never get the flu shot. Ever. Got my first one in life last year while in 3rd trimester so DD could get the antibodies (she is 11 mos).   

I actually went for my annual exam at the end of September this year and was offered the shot but I turned it down.  Now I know I was 2 weeks "pregnant"/conceiving around that time and I'm glad I didn't.  I don't mind getting something like that in the second or third trimester but would be unsettled if I'd gotten it then found out I was pregnant. 

I'm all for vaccines but I am a strong believer in researching your options. My kid is vaccinated and I believe in vaccines. But I also do a lot of work with the government - "we the people" don't mean a thing to the old guys that determine our fate. They all answer to where the money is coming from. So our medicinal recommendations, gun laws and every other controversial thing you can think of aren't all blindly created in our best interests, they are very much influenced by the entities writing the biggest checks. 

Again, my DD is vaccinated. And I'm actually annoyed by conspiracy theorists, so I hope this doesn't come across as though I'm anti vax or a theorist. My career in PR and government relations has just exposed me to the ways of the world (the Olivia Pope avatar is intentional) and it's made me not take everything at face value. 
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I do not claim to be an expert on anything medical as I'm a marketer at heart. I also believe in herd immunity and passing antibodies onto my unborn child, hence we vaccinate and I'll get the flu shot in 2nd trimester. 

I also work with the knowledge that drug companies grease the hands of elected officials. And the CDC, which determines the parameters for all things health related in the U.S. - the head is the Director of Health and Human Services, a position appointed by each president. The most recent one, Tom Price, was recently fired by Trump. Prior to that position, he was a U.S. Rep out of GA, who took money that then influenced his legislative agenda. So even the most recent leader of our most health-focused organization is "owned" by politics and special interests. 

Doesn't mean what they say is wrong, but it does mean it's not a bad idea to do your own research. 
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @icecubeinthedesert funny you mention that article. My first pregnancy I got my flu shot around 6 weeks, found out at 11 weeks it was a missed miscarriage and the baby stopped growing around 6 weeks. Was it the flu shot? Who knows. It makes me paranoid enough to not get a flu shot when I’m pregnant though.
    I had dental work w/ novicane done at 6 weeks the baby before last and had a MMC at 6 weeks so I had the same thought. I can’t do anything now but I’m avoiding all dental work while pregnancy if it all possible. Curious thoughts, though. I’m sorry about what happened to you as well.