June 2018 Moms

PGAL Check-in w/o 10/9

Re: PGAL Check-in w/o 10/9

• @catlady1215 can you call your doctor back and explain that even if she's not worried, even if she thinks you're nuts, scheduling another blood draw is not a big enough hassle for them that it's worth you worrying/stressing like this. It's not like you're asking for free blood draws. They get paid to do this. Tell them you're going to show up in their waiting room and just be a pain unless they agree! 

And seriously, please don't ever feel bad venting your worries here, okay? 
  • Hi Ladies- I'm late posting this week cause I didn't have work yesterday so I didn't do anything but spend some much needed lounging around the house with DD time :)

@catlady1215 This weekly post is the exact spot for you to "keep talking negative stuff".  We all understand and are going through the exact same negative thought process.  You know your body- and if you think something is wrong that nag and nag the doctor's office until they get so sick of you that they have to run most tests for you.  If you don't keep avocating for yourself than who is going.  Good luck! FX for you!  
    1. How far along are you?  6 weeks today!
    2. Any appointments coming up?  Not until 10/26... it's so far away :(
    3. How are you feeling physically?  I'm fighting a cold which is making me feel more pregnant oddly enough.  I have nausea that comes and goes and a dry throat but some how too much silavia in my mouth.  And nursing and pumping for my DD is super painful.  I'm taking all to be good signs.... even if I also wish the symptoms would let up a little.
    4. How are you feeling emotionally?  This week I am okay.  After my first lost I had a friend reach out to me and let me know that she had lost a baby before her current pregnancy.  She felt that the soul of the first pregnancy was the same soul as the baby she was currently carrying.  Since this is my 4th pregnancy I have noticed that I was due the beginning of January with my 1st pregnancy and again with DD.  With my second pregnancy I was due in June and now I'm expecting another June baby- so I keep finding myself thinking about what she said so many years ago- and thinking that I'm getting my lost babies back.  It is making me feel better right now- and whatever works- so hopefully I keep this thought process going. 
    5. Questions?  Nope.
    6. GTKY: If you could have any supernatural power or ability, what would it be and why?  Ugh so many good powers out there.  I would say on a normal day to day I would like the ability to move things with my mind.  DD starts to grab at the cat food or reach for phone chargers it would be nice to be able to move it with my mind as soon as I see it.   Teleportation would also be great- leaving the house is so difficult some times.  For the next few months I would love to be able to see inside my body.... like an ultrasound version of xray vision... so I wouldn't have to constantly wonder what was happening in there.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Loading the player...
  • @catlady1215 I totally agree.  Advocate for yourself until they just do it so they don't have to hear from you for a while.  BE that "annoying" mom we would ALL be in your shoes.  I know for damn sure, I'd just camp out at that office/lab until they took me.. Because bottom line is if you are anxious that is no good for the pregnancy either and sometimes Doctors are so absorbed in their daily stuff that they forget that we are all human beings with fears and loves and loss and hope and their jobs are to keep us from falling apart as best they can.  And I know I speak for all of us when I say VENT.  We are all totally going through the same thing as PGALs and I would rather have a place to go where I feel like others understand than having no one or just my spouse who doesn't totally get it, because he's a guy and just thinks we can just that part of our brain off with a click of the fingers.  We are all here to support each other in good and bad.  So tell us whatcha got no matter how bad or Amazing it might be to you. :)

@icecubeinthedesert and @bkrahn Thanks ladies.  Yeah I totally need to walk away from google.  Just walk...away. hahahhaha.  I'm off to distract myself with digging and building.  Know that I have all of you and your amazing stories in my mind.  Hoping everyone has a happier Tuesday. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @jsl82 totally love that thought process of getting your June baby! 
  • thanks ladies. I just didn't want to keep being like 'I know its gone..' over and over on a pregnancy board. maybe sticking to the pgal post till I know 100% is just a smart move for now.

my dh and my sister said we should just go to the ER. but I don't want to pay a $100 copay to say 'I don't feel sick anymore'. they'll look at me like I'm crazy. my sister said just say I passed tissue. but I can't lie about that cause I'm rh neg so then the rhogam will come into play and I'm not getting that if I don't need to.
    as for a second opinion. not sure how I'd go about that without my dr knowing (which I'd rather her not). I'm limited on doctors because I work for a health system.. so I have to stay in network.

@jsl82 I love that way of thinking. I actually read something a few months ago that was similar. I can't remember much about it or where I found it.. but now I want to find it and share here.

me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @catlady1215 This is exactly the right spot to vent. We are here for the entire PGAL journey - the good and the bad. I am sorry you feel like they aren't humoring you. I hope you get some peace of mind soon. 

icecubeinthedesert I have seen a therapist since the beginning of my first pregnancy probably June 2014. I see a huge increase in my anxiety when I am pregnant and I needed the support and coping skills to get through it. I kept it up to help manage my anxiety and because I don't want to pass on anxious thoughts to my daughter. So it is a lot of psychotherapy in being conscious of what I say and think that is negative and how to reframe my thinking. I am a HUGE fan of therapy. I don't think I would have handled my loss as smoothly (and it was far from smooth) without my therapist helping me. I really struggled with getting back into my life and going back to work. I love having my feelings validated so that I feel less "crazy." She helps me process grief too. 
    I feel like that went on and on. Did I answer your question? The best therapist I got was referred to me by my midwife so I would definitely speak to your OB if you think you would benefit from pre-natal care. There are therapists who specialized in pre and post natal therapy for women. 
    DD is 3 and a new little one on the way! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @icecubeinthedesert I've never heard of this. The lab I use is part of my health network, so I wonder if they'd offer that.
  • Hey ladies I am tentatively joining this board. I was in the May birth board and had my MC on September 1st at 5w 2d. Well at CD 28 I took a test and it was positive and then we went on an7 day cruise lol! I called my doctor office yesterday and they sent me for blood work which came back at 7,764 hcg. I have another draw tomorrow. Hope this one continues to stick. 
    I will have to read back to get to know you all!! 
  • @katie121209 welcome here! Congrats on your BFP! Hoping your second blood draw goes well!
  • @katie121209 welcome. Fx for you too! :smiley:
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Can I vent for a sec? With my last MC, I had to go into the ER because of excessive bleeding. They insisted on doing a ton of unnecessary tests, even though I told them my MMC had been confirmed weeks prior. Even an intensive ultrasound (transvaginal and abdominal). I initially refused the US, as I had an appointment with my OB scheduled the next day, but they went on about how insurance might not pay for any of our visit if we don't (I think they just called in the tech in the middle of the night and felt bad for him). I had stressed many times that all I came in for was to check whether the bleeding was concerning. 

Anywho, they quoted us $700 for the ER visit when we were there, but we finally got the bill from the hospital literally on the day of my bfp (yay!). $1800. So now I get to deal with billing issues and appeals when I'm already anxious with PGAL brain and tons of stress at work. DH is trying to take care of it all for me, but they keep calling me since I'm the patient. 

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • @icecubeinthedesert uuugh, I'm sorry that's happening! and can I just say that getting those bills after a loss is such a slap in the face. bad enough you had to lose it to begin with... then have a pay a ridiculous amount of money for it!
  • doxiemoxie212doxiemoxie212 member
    edited October 2017
    @icecubeinthedesert ugh, insurance issues are the worst. :( sorry, man. 

I very much regret going to the ER for my MC. I only went because DH was freaking out, but we literally live two blocks from our hospital, so I could've just stayed home, and if anything bad started happening DH literally could have carried me there if needed. 

But seriously, when else in life do you get services before knowing what they'll cost? It's not like I get on an airplane or buy a house, and then six months later get a bill, like, "Surprise! This ended up being the cost!" Ugh. 

Eta: I tagged the wrong person before blargh 
  • @icecubeinthedesert that stinks :( I hear you all on the MC ER bill. I wish I hadn't gone either because I owe 2400
  • @doxiemoxie212 seriously insurance and medical billing in general is so complicated!  I just got a new job and am in the middle of picking benefits.  It's crazy going through all these plans and still having NO IDEA how much I should expect to pay for having this baby.

Even if you know your hospital/doctor are in network if they send your labs some where else and it's out of network BAM! surprise extra expense.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @icecubeinthedesert Sorry girl. :disappointed: I remember the costs in the states being so ridiculous. I can't believe it costs that much money to do something like that. Hoping you don't have to stress more over that girl! 
  • Had my second beta done this morning and tried calling for my results All. Day. Long. Now the office is closed and I'll be an emotional, anxious wreck until 9 am tomorrow.  :(
  • @bkrahn I'm sending you creepy internet person hugs because I know the feeling.  I'm kind of glad that I don't have access to this kind of stuff in a way...I'd be camped out at the office ALL NIGHT. 
  • Do we do TW on pgal threads? TW I haven’t done betas because with my last loss the betas looked perfect and so I don’t have the heart to do all that again. I did get an scan scheduled for a week from tomorrow and I feel like it’s my true pregnancy test! Scans are probably one of my favorite things is the world even though I’ve had nightmarish ones. I feel like it’s magic to be able to SEE what’s going on. The anticipation has me going crazy. 
  • @tammy574 I'm not sure about TW, I don't think we do.  I mean we've all got TW here I think. Re: U/s I only did 2 for my living children (DD1 at 36wks and DD2 at 18 or 19 wks) and 1 from my mmc... I'm a bit heebie jeebied out from the 10wk scan that identified my MMC in 2015 and subsequent D&C and feel like it sounds like you do about betas, but about scans...I just don't have the heart to go through it again.  I literally get anxiety thinking about considering going for a scan.  Yeah it's that bad.  
  • tammy574 said:
    Do we do TW on pgal threads? TW I haven’t done betas because with my last loss the betas looked perfect and so I don’t have the heart to do all that again. I did get an scan scheduled for a week from tomorrow and I feel like it’s my true pregnancy test! Scans are probably one of my favorite things is the world even though I’ve had nightmarish ones. I feel like it’s magic to be able to SEE what’s going on. The anticipation has me going crazy. 
    I think there is a general TW re: miscarriages, etc., in PGAL, but probably still use TW for things like rape, gun violence, etc. 

Also, I think generally the PGAL threads are A-OK with talking about past miscarriages, but generally encourage creating an entirely new thread (with a TW) for a new/current miscarriage. That's just from what I've seen on past BMBs, though. I genuinely do not care how it's structured since I'm personally not affected by triggering material I read (ie, I'm not triggered). 
  • @tammy574 this is my first pregnancy that I've ever needed to get betas for. for me they are the only thing reassuring me right now & getting me through this. But I know what you mean. I have an 8 week ultrasound this time around and while I AM excited, part of me is absolutely terrified because that's how I found out about my mmc. I had been having some spotting at 12 weeks and they did an emergency ultrasound to make sure everything was ok. When they didn't allow me to see the screen, I knew something was wrong. And then I was rushed out and had to wait 4 hours in the ER just for the doctor to tell me my baby was gone. 
  • DashainaDashaina member
    edited October 2017
    I agree with @doxiemoxie212 on not being triggered....I just want to be able to support each other whatever our outcome, here in PGAL. 

@bkrahn I remember you mentioning that before about not seeing the screen.

Previous MMC story... My first scan tech printed a freaking picture for me and didn't tell me a thing. Just ushered me out and I had to call my doctor in the hallway to come speak to him so I could know what happened. I saw the screen and he even pointed to where the baby was atm!! I didn't hear anything, but just thought he didn't have any sound on or something... Because I couldn't hear even the sound of him moving the wand around. I stood in the hallway in tears of worry..finally my doctor came and told me... I was utterly devastated.. I was told I could wait 5 hours until the OBGYN came in or go to the mainland hospital. I chose the second option. For perspective to get there from the main island (where I was at the moment) is a 30 minute boat ride and a 45 minute taxi ride. The mainland hospital overall was a much better choice. The worst experience there, aside from the reason I was there in the first place... Was being walked down the hallway of the shared new moms wing (every bed was taken with a new nursing or Co sleeping mom) in nothing but my hospital gown, so I could use the bathroom before the proceedure. Twice. Fortunately I was given my own private room afterwards for the night, they insisted that I stay for observation since I live very far away. But anyway that is why I'm fearful of getting another u/s...I literally don't think I could go through that again. 
  • @Dashaina oh my gosh, that's so awful :( I'm so sorry you had to go through that! 
    When I was waiting in the ER, I was sitting beside a young girl who was with her mom and she had just had an ultrasound as well and they were looking at her ultrasound pictures with smiles on their faces and talking about how cute it was to see baby on the screen. I just wanted to scream.
  • @bkrahn-waiting in the waiting rooms while you're suspecting/experiencing/following up from a loss is one of the most torturous things.  That and seeing the bills afterwards.  That had to be so painful and hard to watch.  :(  
    @Dashaina your experience sounds awful too and can totally get why you wouldn't want to go through that again!!  I can't believe they printed a picture and everything and didn't say anything.  Our doctors turn the screens towards me right away so I can see what's going on.  With our last miscarriage I knew, and could see, there wasn't a heartbeat anymore.  Ugh.  Loss sucks.  
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • So I'm a bit new to this whole beta thing.
    tuesday they were right around 54,530
    yesterdays results came in at 79,600.
    The nurse said she thought that was a good increase and didn't see any concern with it.. but shouldnt my numbers still be nearly doubling at this point? 
  • @PatientlyWaiting10 yes the second u/s they were very forthcoming with information, spoke perfect English and explained exactly what I was seeing/etc.  The experience during the procedure and after was very positive, considering.  The nursing staff were very kind and visited with me, etc.  The bill was mind blowing $146 for overnight and I only had to pay $70 of that, the rest is covered by the country or so I was told.  That included everything I had done, a private room and meals/etc.  
  • @bkrahn, after about 6,000, HCG takes longer to double (closer to 4 days). So looks right to me!

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • @bkrahn Yes, agree with @icecubeinthedesert.  Looks good!!  
    @dashaina That is crazy!!  $146 total?!?!  That's like a portion of one office visit!
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @icecubeinthedesert & @PatientlyWaiting10 oh, that's so reasurring to hear! I was just happy to see any increase at all.. thanks ladies! 
  • @PatientlyWaiting10 you're telling me!!  That was probably the first thing that put a smile on my face during the entire ordeal and when they said I only paid a portion of that, I was just like Seriously???  The cost of health care is is truly amazing.  And tbh the hospital was fine. It was clean, well lit, had knowledgeable staff members, modern equipment, etc and that was one of the local hospitals.  The hospitals in the major cities (Panama City & Boquete) have stuff on par with the US major cities at half the cost, they are a bit more expensive there than here.  My upcoming birth for example will be attended by 2 OBGYNs at a rented house in Panama city and is around $2500 total.  So in terms of expenses I could do all the stuff everyone else gets done during their pregnancies and cost isn't the issue at all.  It's the distance for me.  It would take me roughly 2-2.5 hours from my house to the clinic in Changuinola (where the better hospital and most of the doctors for this area are located) and I just really don't want to spend approximately 5 hours of my day traveling. (round trip)  They do have this American group of doctors that visit the indigenous villages near me and they have an u/s machine and tech and good doctors and they are free, but I have to look up their schedule and then it's like an early morning ordeal.  We had to get to the village at 8a the last time and were not seen until 2p.  So yeah, that's how it works for my location.
  • BurlapandLaceBurlapandLace member
    edited October 2017
    Can I add on to the rant about insurance and medical billing? 

Last month while my ILs and close friends were here (that all knew about the CP), I was opening the mail and I opened a bill from the doctors office for the office visit for the pregnancy test and subsequent lab draw. At the time I couldn’t even deal with it. 

Today I called the insurance to fight the bill because it should have been covered as pregnancy related. They inform me that the doctors office coded it as “irregular menstruation”.

So I called the doctors office and apparently the doctors office visits are billed by one department and the labs are billed by another department, which I understand. But these two departments don’t speak to each other. So when I went in for my urine test and it came back negative, the doctors office just billed it as a negative pregnancy test. Even though the lab work done on the same day showed I was pregnant. And the subsequent phone conversation with my doctor  after the weekend passed where she confirmed the lab work showed I was pregnant and I advised her I started bleeding the next day and she said, ok - miscarriage. Apparently none of that info got back to the notes on the original doctors visit or something. So they are trying to charge me for it. Now my doctor has to review the claim and get back to the billing department on it to see if they will re-code it to have it resubmitted to insurance to have it covered. 

Ugh. I just want to move on. But all this isn’t making it really hard to do so :(  
  • @BurlapandLace that in insane!!

does anyone else get super excited by the vegetable change on the home page of the bump? I'm 6 weeks today and there is a sweet pea lol. 
  • @katie121209 I am using the Ovia app and I love that it had a choice for themes, so I went with Parisian Bakery...lol  Today I have a berlingot candy.  Hahahahhaha.  It also give a little information on the less known items it compares the baby to, which is really sweet!
    1. How far along are you?  6wks5d
    2. Any appointments coming up? Not again until 10/23
    3. How are you feeling physically? Sore boobs, intermittent nausea, round ligament pain
    4. How are you feeling emotionally? So this is pregnancy #3 this year with the other two being losses. Such a shock after having no trouble conceiving or carrying DD. So this time around we monitored progesterone right away, it started to drop and I was put on 200 mg suppositories nightly. I feel like this is what's made the difference so far and wish it was something we could have could have caught with the other 2. I was terrified after my first ultrasound last week- by LMP I would have been 6w6d but only measured 5w5d with a HR of 92. I was not comfortable with that at all. However this week went in after a small amount of spotting (of course I panicked), luckily it was just a small subchorionic fluid collection, and baby was measuring right on track from last week and HR increased to 134! So I'm feeling a lot better the last couple of days than I was the last few weeks. 
    5. Questions? Nope
    6. GTKY: If you could have any supernatural power or ability, what would it be and why? Time travel... Outlander anyone??

Pregnancy Ticker
    1. How far along are you? 3w6d
    2. Any appointments coming up? I’m going to call my OB on Monday and probably go for bloodwork that day. Since my last two pregnancies ended in losses, I will be getting more testing done in the first trimester. 
    3. How are you feeling physically? Pretty good, it’s still super early, so I’m only experiencing some mild cramping. 
    4. How are you feeling emotionally? I’m doing ok. The line on the HPT is still super light, I think I ovulated later than I thought. I’m trying to not let that get to me. 
    5. Questions? Nope. 
    6. GTKY: If you could have any supernatural power or ability, what would it be and why? It would be invisibility. I would love to sneak into different places and listen in on conversations. 
  • @Dashaina thanks for the all rec!!! Now I have a chocolate chip!!! @ChloandCoco welcome!!!! 
  • @katie121209 isn't that so much yummier? I had a chocolate chip too.. Last week! I can't wait to see next week!