February 2018 Moms
Options

STM+ Purchases

Okay all of you "been there and done that" mommas, what are you buying this time around? Any new gadgets you want to try out? Anything you wonder how you lived without it the last time? Any splurges just because? 
I am splurging on a digital forehead/ear thermometer. Trying to get an axillary or rectal temperature when you think the baby "might be" warm us a PITA! 

Re: STM+ Purchases

• Options
    I'm still trying to figure this out. We got by last time around with just one car seat base but I think we will need another this time. I want to get a better baby carrier. Maybe a Tula. With DS I did zero research and picked one out that we really didn't like, some type of Infantino brand.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @sammichele If there are two of you that alternate picking up and dropping off then a second carseat base feels like a luxury item! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mayapple44 getting an ear thermometer was awesome.  We did that with #3 and it was a life changer. 

Like @sammichele, we are doing a second car seat base this time. I'm also getting a jogging stroller with the bike wheels verses the "offroad" plastic ones. We already have a jeep double stroller and am umbrella stroller, so this is a splurge :) 
  • Options
    Not really anything big that I'm going to splurge on since I still have everything from DD and we are having another girl.... I may splurge on a double stroller, but I'm not in a rush since I have my lillebaby carrier (I seriously love that thing).  I got a non touch infrared thermometer with DD and it was the best!  I could tell if I needed to mess with a rectal temp without even touching her!
  • Options
    I love the forehead thermometer, and you can get them relatively cheap now! We might end up splurging on an Owlet monitor this time if LOs follow up AS confirms micrognathia. I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep if she has breathing risks. I’m probably going to wait on the other gear and see what we actually decide we’ll use. I would like a better carrier though, I didn’t love the backpack style one I used last time, so maybe I’ll spring for a Moby wrap or something similar.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I'm getting a Tula Free to Grow carrier!
  • Options
    I highly recommend the forehead thermometers, our 4 year old just finally got to where she'd sit still long enough for a "reg" thermometer. With number 2 we splurged and got the bob double jogger, I love it but wish it actually fit in my car (we make it fit), so now I'm looking at buying yet another stroller for running errands. 

Also with my second we bought a rock n'play and I honestly I can't recommend that enough, lol.
  • Options
    @ahoneycutt12 I didnt know infared thermometers existed! I will look into that!

@winnie1122 I would definitely  want some sort of monitoring device if the baby had known breathing issues. Ive heard good things about them aside from the occassional false alarm from it coming loose or out of place.

Im embarrassed to admit that im interested in one of these diaper cream applicator things! Yes, I know its gimmicky and I should know better. But what if we dont have to clean that stuff out from our fingernails 12x a day?!
  • Options
    We are debating between getting the second base or just going straight to a convertible to DH car. We didn’t use the infant carrier long with DS. 
    We are really not getting much as DS is only 2. 
    Some new glass bottles, a nursery rocker, and I am splurging on a nice double stroller. We used the chicco stroller that cam in the travel system last time but for this one we are debating between the city select or uppababy vista (leaning towards the city select).

Also considering a video baby monitor with dual cameras. We will bring moving into a much larger place in March so baby’s room (and DS) will be much further away. Any recommendations, I have heard good things about the moterolla ones?
  • Options
    hms1219hms1219 member
    edited October 2017
    @GoogleMD my Motorola video monitor is going strong for 2 years now.  We just bought a 3rd camera for new baby’s room. It’s the MBP33XL 3.5”. It’s super user friendly. My mom was able to figure it out. 

@mayapple44 those applicators are a life saver.  DS2 got horrible diaper rash after antibiotics for his ear infections.  

My splurge was a double Britax stroller.  I love our single B-agile system and the double functions the same. 
  • Options
    My splurge this time around was a BOB stroller. We had both a single and a double BOB previously but sold them thinking we were done. That is the one thing both DH and I refuse to do without.

My splurge with #2 was an ergo carrier with the infant insert. Thankfully we still have that. A good carrier will get a lot of miles with a toddler running around. 
  • Options
    My splurge this time around was a BOB stroller. We had both a single and a double BOB previously but sold them thinking we were done. That is the one thing both DH and I refuse to do without.

My splurge with #2 was an ergo carrier with the infant insert. Thankfully we still have that. A good carrier will get a lot of miles with a toddler running around. 
    Yes, I have been buying multiple carriers this time around. I just put them on layaway and pay $30-40/ month. My husband hasn’t even noticed
  • Options
    @googleMD I think I accumulated around 6 different carriers with DD and I did like the wrap kind when she was an itty bitty since I could comfortably sit with it still on as well (she had reflux and I didn't have a Rock n play yet so I had to hold for at least 20 mins after every feeding).  Everybody is a little different on what they want out of one so it's good to have options on hand to try!  
    For any bigger moms I highly recommend trying out a LilleBaby as they have an extender clip for the bottom strap which you don't see very often.
  • Options
    @mayapple44 I definitely recommend an ear thermometer and a rectal. The recital for when the baby is a newborn - you can even check on the ear one and if the fever is high get a more accurate reading with the rectal. 

@sammichele I loved my SollyBaby wrap for when DS was first born. It’s a squishy wrap and great for skin to skin while being able to get other things done. 

DS just turned 1 last week so there isn’t much I’ll be getting although I need a new swing as our MamaRoo broke. I don’t want to spend as much this time around - any swing recs?
  • Options
    @diesel11111 I had a mamaroo with DD for our house and one of the graco ones with the lamb and the lights and mobile at my mom's and she loooooved the one at my mom's.
  • Options
    @ahoneycutt12 yeah I already have several wraps, and mai tai and lillbaby from DS...mostly using the new baby as an excuse to feed my habit :wink::blush:

@diesel11111 we got the mamaroo and ended up returning it and getting the graco lamb swing. My son really likes it, my friend borrowed  it, and now we will use it for this baby.
  • Options
    My splurge so far is a double strolller. I did buy it used and saved a ton and it even came with 2 toddler seats and an infant car seat adapter! 
    DS will be 2 in November so will still need to be contained when we are out and about.  

I would also like to get a carrier this time around! I didn't have one for my DS but think it will be more convenient this time around. I will look into the ones already mentioned! And other recs? I can also never figure out how to even go about using them when I've seen them at the store so I avoid them! 

Other than that we will need a nee video monitor and that should be about it!
  • Options
    I thought I didn’t want more after DD and sold most of my baby things :/. So I’ll be re buying a lot. 

I bought a fisher price swing, a rock n play, and a sit me up already. Thankfully I’ve learned not to buy knew so I’ve maybe spent a total of $50 on those things since I buy as I see steals on swap groups. 

I still need burp cloths (cloth diaper prefolds) 
     a bouncer 
    glass baby bottles. I’m looking into the Joovy Boob bottle this time since DD would never take a bottle 
    a boppy pillow
    baby bath
    small items like pacifiers/diaper cream spreader

honestly my biggest splurge will be that I’d like a fresh 48 session at the hospital this time. I treasure those hospital pictures so much 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A second car seat base for sure. DD is going to get a bigger dresser and her current one will go in the new baby's room, we also use it as a change table. DD is also going to get a bed so the crib can go to baby. So mostly DD is getting all the new stuff. Still undecided on the double stroller, DD will be 22 months when the new baby is born.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    I thought I didn’t want more after DD and sold most of my baby things :/. So I’ll be re buying a lot. 

I bought a fisher price swing, a rock n play, and a sit me up already. Thankfully I’ve learned not to buy knew so I’ve maybe spent a total of $50 on those things since I buy as I see steals on swap groups. 

I still need burp cloths (cloth diaper prefolds) 
     a bouncer 
    glass baby bottles. I’m looking into the Joovy Boob bottle this time since DD would never take a bottle 
    a boppy pillow
    baby bath
    small items like pacifiers/diaper cream spreader

honestly my biggest splurge will be that I’d like a fresh 48 session at the hospital this time. I treasure those hospital pictures so much 
    Same here. I'm doing a lot of replacement purchases. One of my larger items is a new Pack N Play
  • Options
    I can’t decide...sold the swing and bouncer after DS#2 because he hated them both. But DS1 lives in them. I
    mostly have myself convinced to pick stuff out on Amazon, but not buy it until I think I need it, because then I can return it within 30 days.

i got a double jogging stroller with #2. I use it less than I thought (I can’t actually run very well with 70 lbs of kiddo, though I did when it was just one baby), but when we go somewhere it’s been priceless. Love that it handles all terrains. 

My splurge is going to be a couple of new things for the nursery - DS 2 will move in with DS 1; there are bunk beds in there already. I’m afraid of the transition because I’m worried they’ll play and talk too late...

i just want want a new rug, sheets, and changing table cover. And I’m making a wall collage out of old book covers and plywood. We are in a rental, so there’s just cream walls and light colored carpeting. I didn’t do much to it when we moved, and it’s silly, but it’s really bothering me to put the third kid in there and not try to make it cuter...
  • Options
    •  Arm's reach co-sleeper or the Halo Bassinet for baby to use in our bedroom for the first 5-6 months. (We used a rock-n-play for our first two but it is pretty low to the ground vs. our bed. I want something higher and is easier to see into and reach. 
    • New Carseat and base
    • Swaddle sacks & swaddle blankets
    • Tula carrier (I have an ergo with an infant insert already) 
    • crib mattress
    • Bottles
    We also got rid of everything after #2 outgrew thinking we weren't going to have any more kids. Luckily many friends are letting us borrow bigger items (swing, bouncer, rock-n-plays, pack-n-play, crib etc)
  • Options
    @sammicehle I love our Tula and ergo.

@neener neener I am looking at a in arms reach sleep but haven't purchased one yet.

we need a better infant bathtub and I want a moby wrap.
  • Options
    We are buying everything bc neither of us kept anything from our last kids. So far we have a car seat, pack n play, and a bouncer...I guess we have a long way to go in the purchase dept. 
  • Options
    We’re having a boy this time, so I think we’ll sell the kick and play piano and the exersaucer. I’d love the new skip hop exerssucer but I don’t know that I want to spend that much $$.

we are also buying a crib since DD’s turns into a double bed. 

Id like a new carrier and ring sling, I hate our beco and my ring sling is purple. 

Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    dfc813 said:
    @sammicehle I love our Tula and ergo.

@neener neener I am looking at a in arms reach sleep but haven't purchased one yet.

we need a better infant bathtub and I want a moby wrap.
    @dfc813
    I am waiting until black Friday sales to purchase. Hoping I can get a good deal then. 
  • Options
    We didn't get a bucket seat with DS, only borrowed a cheaply one from a friend and I only used it for 2/3 months. but I 100% will be getting one this time around. You think you don't need one, but they are especial for when baby falls to sleep in the car! This time around I'm getting a nice bucket seat that comes with a comfy infant insert and will be using is for a while! I still don't plan and always bringing it back and forth from the house, cos I'm just not the strong lol. 

i so so badly want the baby breeza! It would be a huge splurge, but I think it wouldbbe worth it. Sill need to convince DH. 

I always said said I would never have a video monitor but I got one with DS when they legit had no audio ones in stock and we needed one for my parents place. It's is so cheap and crappy but at the same time amazing. Can't live with out it!! Can't wait to buy a higher quality one with 2 cameras to spy on the babes :) its is a must have 100%! 
  • Options
    We also got rid of everything after DS. My splurge is a Tula Free to Grow. There are things that this time around we are choosing not to splurge on. We are going for a cheap pack and play this time instead of one with all the bells and whistles. We did not end up using all the stuff that came with it. Also, a bedding set. Instead of the sheet, comforter, bed skirt etc. we are just getting sheets. We are also waiting to buy a swing or bouncer seat. We are going to see what we think she will prefer when she gets here. 
  • Options
    •  Arm's reach co-sleeper or the Halo Bassinet for baby to use in our bedroom for the first 5-6 months. (We used a rock-n-play for our first two but it is pretty low to the ground vs. our bed. I want something higher and is easier to see into and reach. 
    • New Carseat and base
    • Swaddle sacks & swaddle blankets
    • Tula carrier (I have an ergo with an infant insert already) 
    • crib mattress
    • Bottles
    We also got rid of everything after #2 outgrew thinking we weren't going to have any more kids. Luckily many friends are letting us borrow bigger items (swing, bouncer, rock-n-plays, pack-n-play, crib etc)
    Arms reach co sleeper is a must have. I can’t say enough good things about it. I feel like that’s the only reason we didn’t have a fussy baby. I could comfort him without getting up and picking him up so he learned to self sooth pretty fast. 
  • Options
    If I’m honest, I splurged and bought a “bump to burps” package (maternity, birth or fresh 48, newborn) photography. I am still pissed at how H’s family acted the day DD2 was born and the fact that we didn’t have any photos of us as a family’s of four. 
  • Options
    I’m also considering the owlet. 
  • Options
    @TattoosandLace oh man I want an owlet so bad!  I was such a paranoid mess with DD that it would help me actually get some sleep in those early weeks... although who am I kidding I still creepy watch my 2 year old sleep  :D
  • Options
    I just bought the auto rock n play (normally 79.99 and on sale for 41.59 - I bought it an hour ago and the price already hopped back up to 64.78).  I also got some clearance baby sheets on the pottery barn friends and family sale.  We have a crib and changing table (DS is currently using the changing table as a dresser, but I know we can get any dresser for cheaper than a new changing table.)  However, DH was saying he isn't sure if we still have all the screws and bolts for the cribs.   :|:|:|  So, I need to research and see if I can rebuy the parts from the manufacturer or see if I can find a manual so we can see if the parts are available in a hardware store.  The crib is 5 years old so no idea how realistic it will be to get new parts. DH was already in the headplace of buying a new crib, so maybe I need to just see if I spot any deals.  

Also, I had never heard of the diaper cream applicator but that's totally going to be something I get.  Diaper cream under my finger nails is the worst.

Our infant seat expires in April 2018.  So we will use that until it expires and then move baby girl into one of the many convertible seats we have.  I'm not going to buy another infant seat since baby gets too heavy after about 3 months anyways.  We have an old stroller than came with the Chicco key fit travel system.  We barely used the stroller with DS, so I am not really keen to buy another stroller when we didn't really use one before.

We need all new bottles and have no clue where to start with that.  We had tommee tippee before and they were ok so maybe I'll just get another set of those.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely a co-sleeper, a structured carrier and a wrap. The carriers we used with dd3 are pretty worn out. We have a fair amount of gender neutral clothes and even "boy" clothes that dd3 has, but we need more 0-6 mo clothes. We'll probably get a new bucket car seat and smaller things like burp rags and toiletries.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    Oh and I was considering a dock a tot, but health Canada pulled them all from the shelves because they aren’t safe for sleep and that’s how they’re advertised. 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    I'll second the nose frida. I didn't have one for either of my other kids and want to try it out. Also a comfortable baby carrier. I have yet to find one I like but I want to give the Ergo a shot. I was told to check our local consignment seasonal sale in March.
  • Options
    @jlcrunchberry The nose frieda is wonderful! My DD got to a point where she would glady let me use it because she knew she would feel better after. I think they are relatively cheap too.
  • Options
    I really want the Halo Bassinest.  I can't decide if it's worth the splurge or not.  We used a rock n play with DS, but won't be using that again.  Another "must have" for us is the double stroller, I have decided. 

Girls, the nose frida is a game changer.  A must have. 
  • Options
    We loved the halo bassinest for DD. So easy to pop her in and out. Plus it was nice to have her so close after having a c-section.
    DD - 4.15.16