Infertility
Options

Frustrated with failed fermara cycle

I was on cycle 2 of Fermara (letrozole) and went in for my midcycle ultrasound today,  only to find that I had ZERO follicles.  First cycle I had a nice one, but nothing today.  Very, very sad and frustrated,  as now I just have to sit and wait for the next cycle to maybe begin (since I'm not going to ovulate I don't know how that will work?) and have another consultation.  IUI and/or injectables next.  Sigh. Can anyone help me feel more positive about this? Or give me something to do the next 18 days until my consultation?  

Re: Frustrated with failed fermara cycle

• Options
    I'm sorry :( Cancelled cycles are always a total bummer....I've just had two in a row. What dose of Femara were you on? I ovulate on my own and on my first two IUIs I was on 2.5 mg of Femara (so the lowest dose) and got 5-6 follies each, but then on my 3rd IUI with the same protocol, I only got the one measly follicle that I would have got anyway not on meds. Same thing happened on my next cycle with a Femara (upped to 5 mg)/Gonal F (50 IU) combo - still only one follicle. My RE said "human bodies aren't robots" and won't necessarily respond to the same protocol in the same way each time. If you were on the lowest dose of Femara, I might try upping it first - if not, then I guess your next option would be to add in injects. My last cycle I was on 5 mg of Femara and upped the Gonal F to 100 IU and overstimulated (10 follicles). So, even just a slight change can have a drastically different effect. Don't despair! 

If you end up having an anovulatory cycle, your doctor can put you on provera to start a new cycle.  
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    I was on 7.5mg this time. I thought I always ovulated on my own (all signs pointed to yes,  previously), but now I'm not 100% sure.  Could have been the estrace interfering since it caused me not to have a flow at all this month (just lots of cramps and spotting while waiting for AF). I had a nice follicle last time,  and just really disappointed to have nothing this time.  

Also frustrated as a teacher with no paid leave.  No summer baby for me means losing quite a bit of money, besides what it costs to conceive. 

Just sad and bitching these days.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi! I'm really new to all things infertility and just recently underwent my second round with Femera and gonadotropin injection...understand the feeling bitchy and sad-I either want to cry over everything or throw things and call people stupid
  • Options
    Is there a reason your RE couldn't increase your dose of femara and have you take it for 5 days again to see if you'd respond? That has always been the plan with my cycles if I didn't have any follicles. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    Has your RE discussed increasing your dose or maybe they fear cyst formation? It's definitely something worth perusing. I have had 4 friends suggest to me about looking into ovulation acupuncture-I have only had one follicle produced with each round of Femera and it's not something I've looked into but all 4 of my friends had success with increased follicle number after starting this. Not sure how close this may be for you to do or the cost, but that could be an avenue you explore too! Good luck!! 
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your cancelled cycle! My cycle got cancelled in June and July. It is so frustrating. My RE ended up having me go on birth control for a month to reboot my body. My prog level was all over the place and my follies were not getting mature.  Maybe ask you are about doing birth control? It worked for me.